Folding with a Hyprethreading CPU?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
How do I set this up properly to take full advantage of the HT? Do I run 2 instances of F@H(console) like on a dual CPU rig? I've been to busy as of late to actually install the os on the system, but hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend, and I want to get it folding for me right away. It's gonna be strange, this is my first non-AMD folder in my bunch. P4 2.4C, 2gb ddr 400, GF4ti4800 and a DVD burner in an aluminum antec lanboy case :D

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Oh man, why u go intel?

I think you only run one instance of F@H with HT...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Yes just like a dual CPU. The second client MUST be the console and the machine ID #2.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Are you going to agrue with free? I'm sure as heck not going to.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    wait...what does hyperthreading mean exactly??
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    HT is a simulated multiprocessing ability in the newer P4s. Not actually multiple processors, but acts like it to some degree, giving performance gains in programs that like multiple processors, like high end graphics stuff.

DanG: Are you saying you got the processor for free? Sweet. Okay, I'm not going to argue anymore. And you've got all AMDs otherwise, so you're a smart man.
    edited July 2003
    ive got p4's...but thats only cuz back in the day...the p4 was kicking AMD's butt...but i quickly learned my lesson...right now all im gonna do...is buy a nice intel chip without hyperthreading...sumthing above 2.533.... and put that in my soyo and put the 2.533 in my it7...after that ill prolly get sum amd 64 system...but ONLY when there is a 64 OS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Am I missing something? Where did the free part come in. I reread this thread several times and dont see above DanGs second post.
    edited July 2003
    One of the vendors I now deal with was trying to get me to start buying stuff from them, so I got them to send me a demo CPU, and I started buying ram and chips from them.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2003
    I did not see any performance gains in folding when enabling HT and running 2 clients on Win2K. I have not tried HT on XP or 2K3 Server, but you might see some gains there.

Let us know what you find.
    edited July 2003
    well...correct me if im wrong...but doesnt the OS have to be multicpu compatible. if it were to work with more than one cpu??
    i mean i dont think u can use windows 98 and take advantage of dual cpu....can sumone correct me though...cuz this kinda applies to me too

:wow: t1rhino...how r u doing...i remember u from icrontic dayz and i havnt really seen u post here
    edited July 2003
    It's gonna be running 2kpro, so I guess it's just another 2.4ghz for me.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    awesome... 2.8c HT here i come
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    t1rhino...how r u doing...i remember u from icrontic dayz and i havnt really seen u post here

I'm doing well, but have been programming my @$$ off here at work.

XP and 2k3 Server are supposed to be the first versions of windows to offer enhancements for HT.