forcing tinkers?

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
Just asking whether there is a flag to make f@h receive tinkers only.

Any help is appericiated :D

Comments

• FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    hmmm, nope. The only way I know of would be to use the google toolbar to fold and hack it to work with your username/team number, (the google compute side of F@H doesn't have Gromacs units at all).

~FA
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    i think the question begs to be asked: why would you want to force tinkers anyways?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    tycho said
    i think the question begs to be asked: why would you want to force tinkers anyways?

well some guys folding for me complain of their WU's restarting all the time as they DONT shutdown properly (dont ask why). Upon closer inspection, the WUs are of course gromacs. As tinkers dont restart from 0 and is extremely stable, i would like to get them for my frens
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    ahh i see good luck there
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    I NEVER shut 'properly' with Ctrl+C and I havent lost a WU that way since v2.12. They are not shutting down the computer correctly and it sounds like they are not on XP cause I can do a cold shut down and not lose one either.
    edited July 2003
    Well, hes running Win XP pro, mmonnin....

what do you mean by shutting down with ctrl c?
    edited July 2003
    That is the offical way to properly shut down. I use the X and I have no problems.
    edited July 2003
    ah, wonder why my frens windows XP fubars his gromac....
    edited July 2003
    Indeed, it doesn't really matter too much how you shutdown the client (using the X or CTRL+C), as long as the core gets a good exit signal. Now, some of the older (pre 3.0) clients were sometimes prone to restarting the WU after a shutdown, so look into what version(s) they are running.

But seriously, it really should not do that, regardless of how you shutdown. I have hit the power button on my machine while folding was running and it shut itself down in less than 4 seconds, but that WU did not start back at 0 because of it.

What I would do in your case is to first try a complete wipe of F@H and start over from scratch. If it's close to finishing a WU go ahead and let it, then completely scrap every trace of F@H, then start over with the latest version of the client.

~FA
    edited July 2003
    Im very sure that restarting ur computer or ur computer jamming halfway will almost certainly make u start from 0, if not the 1st time the 2nd for windows 98se and ME anyway....
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    thats weird...the same thing happened to my sisters comp when my mom would shut it off for the night (yeah i know i corrected her error...she no longer shuts it down...mwahahah) anyways...she didnt complete one work unit within a good week and a half...which really makes no sense. Then the one time i shut it off...it was fine..and didnt restart the WU....i wonder what the hell the problem could be

why dont we try the new beta client?
    edited July 2003
    I don't know about 98se or ME. It seems like it happened to me a lot too back in my 98se folding days, but it has never happened to me on 2000/XP.:-|

~FA
    edited July 2003
    DAMNIT I HAVE TO RANT

after a stupid BSOD on my p3 450 2 weeks worth of folding down the drain, now ive missed the deadline!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    ouch... :(

I'll throw in my two cents about the shut down thing. I've just about never properly done it either, and I've never had a prob losing any. I've also (many a time) had to hard boot the system when it hangs and I don't even lose it then. (I'm running win 2k, btw)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    sorry if thiws has already been asked but is the beta 3.25 client being used?
    edited July 2003
    3.25 will change nothing. The ONLY thing that is different is making 3dnow! default instead of SSE since some were having problems. From the beta page:
    3.25 beta (unmarked)
    - If -forceasm is used, then on every execution of the core until the
    client is restarted, SSE optimizations will be used if possible (if
    the chip is an AMD chip, then be default, without the flag, it would
    not be chosen over 3DNow). Prior to this client, this effect would have
    held true only for the first work unit run after starting the client.

I have also had to hard boot from a freeze and havent lost a WU from that.

A pre 3.x client could be doing this or some other APP causing problems. I think anything older than 2k could also do something as well IE not shut down as well as the NT core.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2003
    Tell them to switch to the Console version of FaH.

It handles crashes/reboots much better than the Graphical version
    edited July 2003
    OK, i'll switch to console asap..