the time has come...

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
well....i was hoping to at least get thro the summer...but the time has come when i need to cut back on expenses with the new baby on the way, so i just wanted to let my fellow folders know that i wont be able to run the pc 24/7 anymore. I need to save any amount of money i can to pay bills and make sure the family is taken care of.

i will still fold strong when the pc is on, but my pts will probably drop from 500/week to ~120/week, just as i was about to enter the top 100 also :(

thanks for understanding

fc

Comments

• PeaceDawgPeaceDawg Perth
    edited June 2003
    I might begin powering down my computer when I am not using it too. Money is so tight these days and I have a baby on the way as well.. Don't feel bad..every little bit helps as far as the folding goes.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I can certainly understand your situations guys. Several times I have been forced to fold only about 7/24 of the day, due to the fact that the bills get hefty sometimes. But don’t worry about it, your immediate family’s future finance situation is far more important than folding in my opinion, and it’s good of you to see that.:up:

Fold on!

~FA
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Hehe ...WTF guys! Hats off to future folders! I think we deserve recruit points!!!
    Happy fathers day fellas ...join the few ...the proud!!! :celebrate:
    Seriously though ...there is nothing like seeing the birth of a child. :birthday:
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited June 2003
    Fatcat, you got a PM:D
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    csimon said
    Hehe ...WTF guys! Hats off to future folders! I think we deserve recruit points!!!
    Happy fathers day fellas ...join the few ...the proud!!! :celebrate:
    Seriously though ...there is nothing like seeing the birth of a child. :birthday:

u got that right...this will be numero baby dos!!

Hotrodsun, u got a PM back....

fc
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I completely understand.

Thats why I am leaving my extra computers at home when I go to college and will have to pay for apartment and everything. Let mom and dad foot the electricity bill for those suckers.;)
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    lol mm! Mercenary to the end.:D

~FA
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Congrats to FatCat and PeaceDawg, I know you are excited about the new addition to the family. And I can't blame you one bit for trying to save money, my sis just had a baby 5 months, ago and trust me I know how money flys when it comes to babies. I wish you two the best of luck also.
  • MikeP928MikeP928 New Joisey
    edited June 2003
    Is this where the soon-to-be daddies (again) check in? :) I've got a soon-to-be three year old (7/4) and one more on the way in Dec., so I know what you guys are going through! Congrats in advance and thanks for all you've done! When things calm down and finances improve, we'll be here waiting!
    edited June 2003
    Congrats MikeP.:)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I completely understand FatCat.:)

Future congrats to FatCat, PeaceDawg & MikeP!!!:D

BTW - PeacDawg, YGPM (You got Private Message).
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    MikeP928 said
    I've got a soon-to-be three year old (7/4). . . .

So do I, though mine's 7/2. We joke it was so she'd be evenly spaced between us (end of May and beginning of August).

Electricity will be cheaper after we move later this summer, but water will go up. Luckily we use more power than water.
    edited June 2003
    Take showers in the public waterfountains and while you are there use the public restrooms.;)

LOL j/k.;)
  • edited June 2003
    I definitely know about how expensive a childbirth can get, Fatcat. In 1992, my wife had to have an emergency c section because my daughter had turned sideways during labor and couldn't be born naturally. Everything went well with the section and my wife and my daughter were out of the hospital 1 day after the section and still my hospital bill came close to $10,000 and no insurance and no job either.:wow: But we weathered that ok. Be sure to take care of the family first, folding is way down on the priority list compared to the family.

Congrats to all of you soon to be Dad's; those children are a real blessing.:D
    edited June 2003
    Holy cow, 10K!!!

Take care of the kido fatcat.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yes, sometimes even the littel things need to be cut to get buy.
    But if you think starting a family is expensive you will go into shock when you have a couple of teenages around. Just fasten the shopvac to my wallet and watch it fly.
    My two full time folding rigs cost less to run than my daughter's blow dryer et. al.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Top this! When my first son was four years old, I got a bill in the mail for $1400 from the hospital he was born in!

Nice accounting system! So, instead of a 30, 60, or 90 day late payment on my credit, I have a 1460- day late payment :o
    edited June 2003
    Well last year when i had my baby girl my insurance coverd 90%, which didnt leave too big (big enough) of a bill...now my work's insurance is been cut to 85%...so gotta prepare for a larger bill this time. hopefully everything will go smoothly and wont be any extra bills thrown on...

fc
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Anyone have any idea just what it costs per day to run a machine 24/7?

Since machines vary, just give any stats you have . . . I'm sure a 2GHz Athlon isn't going to eat 2x the $ that a 1GHz Athlon does, as I'd imagine most of the power goes to the monitor and very little actually to the CPU, but perhaps someone that knows could let us know.

I run my machine 24/7/365, except whenever it craps out (Grrrr!) so I'm curious as to how much a year it costs just to have the computer turned on.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said
    Top this! When my first son was four years old, I got a bill in the mail for $1400 from the hospital he was born in!

Nice accounting system! So, instead of a 30, 60, or 90 day late payment on my credit, I have a 1460- day late payment :o

Prime, we had the same thing with my now 4 year old. They "discovered" a missing charge 18 months after delivery. Now you are a business owner, if you charged a customer 18 months after the fact for an oversight of yours, they'd laugh at you. However, when health care does it, they've got us by the short hairs and we have no choice but to pay it, be it now or later. Makes me so mad sometimes, urge to kill, rising, rising......:banghead: :banghead: :beer: Ahhhh...gone. :p
    edited June 2003
    About 70-80 or so Watts go to the CPU actually. I dont have the monitor on all the time. So besides the CPU you have to supply watts to the RAM, HDD(s), vid card, mobo, and all the fans. Basically anything that makes heat.
    edited June 2003
    it wouldnt be such a concern if i didnt live where i do.....

when i lived in kentucky electricity was $0.06/kwh...here in vermont electricity is $0.14/kwh. a nice 233% increase per/kwh. Im using less then 1/2 the electricity i used in kentucky yet my bill is approx the same or more/ month.

fc
    edited June 2003
    I think ours is like $.09 or something like that.
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Anyone have any idea just what it costs per day to run a machine 24/7?.

It varies by the wattage of your PSU and the cost per kilowatt-hour of electricity in your area. The Broadband Reports FAQ article <a href="http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404">How much does it cost to run a computer 24/7?</a> goes into far more useful detail on that.

If you want to be really exact, use a Watts Up? or similar electricity meter, leave your machine on for a month, and then calculate from the listed cost per kW/h on your electric bill. (: