Kicked the comp

ReignReign New York
edited July 2003 in Hardware
I was moving around in my chair and hit my comp hard with my foot.... comp completely froze for like 7 seconds... then worked fine again. WTF does that mean?? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    It means don't kick your computer...
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Ask you've kicked it, you have more that likely jarred the hard drive. Its taken it a few seconds to spin back up correctly. Your lucky thats all it did, it could have been alot worse.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I stopped taking my tantrums out on my PC years ago. I used to boot the side though, and i severly dented the panel once. Now I just scream at it.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    I hit it by accident, LOL... im glad its okay..
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    haha, screaming works well Nixxer, lol As far as what happened it probably just got mad at you and froze for a few, hehe but serious, like Necropolis said the hard drive could have jarred for a sec.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Reign said
    I hit it by accident, LOL... im glad its okay..

Yeh, sure you did ;)

Screaming definately works. Or arguing with it and then saying "well I don't car anyway, whore!". Its just my way to relieve the stress it sometimes causes me. A few of my friends claimed they never spoke to their PC's but I've seen them all do it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I just give mine the recommended dosage of Work Units and it seems very happy. By the way, did I mention folding.stanford.edu. Team 93... *Cough* ;)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I rarely get mad with my PC, but if it does start messing me around, it simply gets some TLC. I mean lets be honest, we need our comps more than they need us. So kicking it gets us no where.

Yeah and Nec's right, hard drives don't like being jolted. You were lucky. Don't do it again, for god sake.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    screaming definatly works...trust me i needed my NIC card to work..all i did was scream "f**k YOU!!!" and it did
    edited June 2003
    haha, you guys are too funny. And spinner is right, we need our computers way more than they need us, just think of what you would do without your lovely computer.
    edited June 2003
    id kill myself cluth...id simply kill myself
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    :eek: Kicking ya PC even by accident is a disaster waiting to happen!

I had a guy kick one over under his desk @ work. Yep, that borked it. You were lucky Reign :beer:
  • edited June 2003
    Clutch said
    haha, you guys are too funny. And spinner is right, we need our computers way more than they need us, just think of what you would do without your lovely computer.

If one day every PC had suddenly blinked out of existence, I think I'd finally spend the money on a console...
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    TheSmJ said
    Clutch said

If one day every PC had suddenly blinked out of existence, I think I'd finally spend the money on a console...

LMAO... same here. Haven't bought a console since i've been into Comps.
    edited June 2003
    only reason why i buy consoles is cuz...lets face it they have better games... JK!! i buy it cuz i like mario...
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited June 2003
    I'd make a start on backing up your hard drive.

I did the same thing and thought everything was ok but my hard drive eventually packed up altogether a couple of weeks later.

Good luck

Crytpo :D
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    only reason why i buy consoles is cuz...lets face it they have better games... JK!! i buy it cuz i like mario...

Oh Mario.... :respect::respect::respect:
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    Reasons to not scream to your PC...

I was having issues with my cable internet and got mad at the PC, it was a friday night, and I was in a heated ET fight and crash caused by cable loss... I screamed at my PC for a good 3 minutes... 20 minutes later there was a knock at my door. The police were here to investigate a domestic disturbance.. My wife laughed as I told the officer the story, she told him she was cleaning the oven, it was his other lover the PC that he was abusing. The cops shook their heads, laughed at me and walked away..

Tek
    edited June 2003
    haha, now that is funny Tek. I wonder how many people have actually had that happen to them? hmm..or what would have been really cool is if C.O.P.S was taping in your county and you got on tv, haha
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    ROFL ;D
    TekGamer said
    Reasons to not scream to your PC...

I was having issues with my cable internet and got mad at the PC, it was a friday night, and I was in a heated ET fight and crash caused by cable loss... I screamed at my PC for a good 3 minutes... 20 minutes later there was a knock at my door. The police were here to investigate a domestic disturbance.. My wife laughed as I told the officer the story, she told him she was cleaning the oven, it was his other lover the PC that he was abusing. The cops shook their heads, laughed at me and walked away..

Tek
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Screaming has never worked with my computers, but I've definitely tried :D. I once had a computer that would only start up to raver music though ;) (it was an ECS K7S5A...)
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    Yeah my wife and I got a chuckle out of it. I cant believe someone called the police on me for screamin at my PC. Next time i will close the windows before letting loose.

Tek
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    You're lucky the cops believed you. One of them must have had a computer of his own, and knew what they can drive you to.

Can you picture yourself sitting in the pokey, surrounded by thieves and thugs, and trying to tell them you were in jail for hollering at your computer? They'd have either laughed themselves to death, or decided you were crazy and kept as far away from you as they could get.

Prof
    edited July 2003
    ;D;D;D
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    they did not persue the matter as my wife was standing right there with gloves on as she was cleaning the oven and she was giggling the whole time...

Tek
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    If I even tapped my old K6 system it would reboot, compared to my AthlonXP systems, I could throw out the window and swear it wouldnt even miss a cycle.

NS
    edited July 2003
    that doesnt have anything to do with the cpu...that has to do with the powersupply or surge protector...trust me..i tried it out...at my dorm room..my comp shuit off if i hit it...and that was cuz i was using a cruddy surge protector...at home i bought sumthing better...and it was magically delicious from then on
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    I'd do what crypto suggested. Definitely look at backing up the important files while you can. You may scratched the surface. Did you do a disk scan afterwards?
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited July 2003
    I rarely scream at my computer...
    But god would kill me, if he knew how many times I had a five minutes swering session because of this POS Sympatico DSL that gives me 2000 ping at CS and DOD, is slower than my aunt's 56k while browsing the net and that always crash.

NEVER buy sympatico, Its a F*cking piece of ...

And now, I am stupidly waiting for my ping to stabilize so Ill be able to play for half an hour before its begins XTREME lagging again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    NoFuture said
    I rarely scream at my computer...
    But god would kill me, if he knew how many times I had a five minutes swering session because of this POS Sympatico DSL that gives me 2000 ping at CS and DOD, is slower than my aunt's 56k while browsing the net and that always crash.

NEVER buy sympatico, Its a F*cking piece of ...

And now, I am stupidly waiting for my ping to stabilize so Ill be able to play for half an hour before its begins XTREME lagging again.

Yeah, I get this odd feeling that when I get to hell everyone will look up and say "Yep, looks like he had a computer, too".

I hear they're building a new wing just for computer maniacs.

Prof