100% Cpu Utilization

Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
:aol:

Hey everyone I just wanted to post this because some seem to still run into this problem when using large media files. It seems Windows XP has a problem with the large media files when they are right clicked. The full article is here:

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=10914&category=main&highlight=Right+Click
Method 1

Turn off the transition effects for menus and ToolTips. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

In Control Panel, double-click Display.

In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Appearance tab.

On the Appearance tab, click Effects.

In the Effects dialog box, click to clear the Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips check box, and then click OK two times.

Ripped from the article at neowin.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Right click on desktop also will get you to the Display panal.

One other thing I have found out about marge movie files, when they are in one folder and bitrate, size, resolusion and several other details are made to show up in detail view of the folder, that takes up 100% of CPU cycles when trying to read the data from the files.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    AFAIK, another way around the bug is to left click the file first before right clicking it.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I have found that it's not just large media files. Right clicking just about any large file in XP can sometimes cause explorer to start chewing up the CPU to 100%. :rolleyes: You would think SP1 would have fixed such a simple bug.

~FA
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've never had that problem.

/me knocks on wood
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    You've probably never run XP on a 350Mhz K6-2 either.;) I notice it alot on that machine, a little less on my 400Mhz PII, and rarely on my PIV 1.3.

~FA
  • morfeumorfeu Lisbon, Portugal
    edited June 2003
    FoldingAddict said
    You've probably never run XP on a 350Mhz K6-2 either.;) I notice it alot on that machine, a little less on my 400Mhz PII, and rarely on my PIV 1.3.

~FA

omg, can the k6-2 350mhz handle well XP? a little under the mini-specs for WinXP. :eek: