Soooo typical :(

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
We have several pc´s at work doing absolutely nothing. They are low end pc´s and can only be of use with surfing basically.

However, i went into our graphical department today and saw 4 VERY interesting boxes and had a quick look at them. 4 boxes of dual Xeon´s (2 ghz) doing jack!

WOA, wait just a minute i thought and started to dream about high folding numbers. NO INTERNET CONNECTION on those boxes :(:(:(

Do those Xeons fold well?

Mac

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    hellyeah! when setup as 4 clients :fold:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    I'd assume they'd perform about the same as 2GHz P4s with hyperthreading, so something like 4 2GHz P4s... so yea, they shoulddo pretty well...

However, if they're just sitting there doing nothing, then they must be taking up valuable office space, and they're no use without an internet connection. Fortunately, I know of someone that has space for one (or two or three or four) of them, and an internet connection to boot... if you want to box 'em up, I'll pay shipping :D;D;D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    I'd assume they'd perform about the same as 2GHz P4s with hyperthreading, so something like 4 2GHz P4s... so yea, they shoulddo pretty well...

However, if they're just sitting there doing nothing, then they must be taking up valuable office space, and they're no use without an internet connection. Fortunately, I know of someone that has space for one (or two or three or four) of them, and an internet connection to boot... if you want to box 'em up, I'll pay shipping :D;D;D

Even worse, it´s duals. 4X4 gigs of Xeon´s.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Is there any ethernet connection anywhere in the room that you could hook the computers into?

I know at piano camp this year I got a P4 folding that wasn't normally connected just by finding where the T1 outlet was and plugging it in with one of my own CAT6 cables.

~FA
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    No unfortunatly. I need around 100 feet to do so and it would be pretty hard to hide. I have thought of that though. :D
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Oh that's a big bummer, I used a 7 ft cable at the college.:)

~FA