Just incase any of you ever wondered!

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
It suddenly occured to me the other day, that some of you may wonder why I am not part of Team #93. Not to suggest that there is any other reason you might wonder, other than the fact that I'm a regular here and was at the old Icrontic, but neither then nor now, have I folded for you.

Well just to let you know, I don't fold simply because I UD! For a good 2 or so years now (at least) I have been part of a team with my brother (formely Lammypie) over at United Devices. So my clock cycles have always been dedicated to them. So I might not be folding for the cause, but I am similaly UD'ing for a similar one.

I just wanted to clear that one up. I would hate you guys to think my rigs where just sitting around doing nothing all day.;)

Okay end of speech. Carry on.

SPINNER

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    What's UD?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    United Devices. Its another Distributed Computing program. It researches the way certain drugs interact with proteins I think. I ran it before I found out about Team 93 and folding.

No problem Spinner. You are not the only one here that does not fold, and not the only mod either.
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    The key there Spinner is that at least you are doing something that is helpful to humanity... keep it up man!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    As long as you aren't looking for little green men ;) it's all good I reckon mate :D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    yeah...SETI....what a load of horse manuer
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    WuGgaRoO said

Little Green Men?

Leprechauns?!

You may think Seti is useless, but what if they actually find the LGM?

Of course, they might try looking at the Shell station at 4:00am - they hang out with Elvis from what I hear.

UD & Folding do seem a lot more worthwhile.

Prof:D
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I used to use UD. Converted to folding as it has more of a community feel about it.

I did the UD Cancer Research one - converted to that from little green men when my mum got cancer (she's fine now!)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Shorty said
    As long as you aren't looking for little green men ;) it's all good I reckon mate :D

WuGgaRoO said

profdlp said

Little Green Men?

Leprechauns?!

You may think Seti is useless, but what if they actually find the LGM?

Of course, they might try looking at the Shell station at 4:00am - they hang out with Elvis from what I hear.

UD & Folding do seem a lot more worthwhile.

Prof:D

Yeah, I don't do SETI, now that would be a waste of precious CPU time. :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I started with prime95 at home...since there was a monetary prize involved I couldn't subject my lab to that for legal reasons so I began to do UD ...then I discovered the team at Icrontic and switched to Folding ...since then I've involved my lab and that's where I've been ever since. :fold:

Glad to hear you do the UD Spinner ...you've always been a good man in my book!!! :rockon::thumbsup:
    edited July 2003
    csimon said
    Glad to hear you do the UD Spinner ...you've always been a good man in my book!!! :rockon::thumbsup:

Well thanks bud... he he.:D

You guys would probably be amazed at how many people I have asked to help me and brother in our UD effort, that have actually refused to donate their computers. Some just can't be convinced that running a program like UD or Folding at Home doesn't interfere with your PC's operations one bit. They are convinced that it will slow down their machine. Some people just refuse without giving a good reason. Obviously, it's their choice, but in my eyes (for example) when an Athlon XP 2000+ or a P4 2.4 is sitting around, on, all day doing nothing, it's a tragic waste of power.

At the end of the day though, I know that everytime I look at my machine, I know that even when I'm not using it, it's doing something usefull, and that at least for me, is priceless.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    what was the name of the guy (old icrontic days) that had his pic for his avator that left for university of pheonix ...remember you told him you had a blow up poster of his pic on your wall?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Spinner said
    Obviously, it's their choice, but in my eyes (for example) when an Athlon XP 2000+ or a P4 2.4 is sitting around, on, all day doing nothing, it's a tragic waste of power.

I think you could generalize that to say that just about any P4 is a waste... ;)
    edited July 2003
    csimon said
    what was the name of the guy (old icrontic days) that had his pic for his avator that left for university of pheonix ...remember you told him you had a blow up poster of his pic on your wall?

Yeah I remember that he he, can't think for the life of me what his name was though. I made too many comments like that.:D Ahh! the good old days.:mullet:

GHoosdum said

I think you could generalize that to say that just about any P4 is a waste... ;)

/me chuckles

P4 the XP there was no hope.;)