Who are you?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Folding@Home
Since we here at Team Icrontic believe that knowing your teammates is central to a strong team (and we are all about having a strong team :D ), it would be awesome if each member took a moment to at least write a few words about themselves: their background, interests, futures and that sort of thing. :)

Many took the time to do so in the past, and I hope they will do so again here.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    My name is Matt Russell, and I'm a student at Juniata College, which is located between Altoona and State College in PA. I'm studying to become a social studies secondary education major and work full time in the summer and part time during the year as an assistant to the campus technology center's training director.

I started folding around September of 2002, when my friends dodo and RADEON_MAN recruited me to the team. Since then I have recruited between 15 and 20 of my friends, created a flash video for Team 93, and have served as one of the team's Folding@Home moderators.

I played quints (5 tenor drums) in the marching band through high school and played Magic: the Gathering for five years (I rarely play now for a lack of opponents and money). I'm an Eagle Scout, and a certified Emergency Medical Technician in PA.

I am incredibly excited about our "new start" here in the forums: our new home provided by MediaMan, Shorty, and primesuspect. As you've probably noticed, we are getting a ton of support from the owners. :) It really makes me feel good so many have stuck with us through the transition. Team Short-Media will live on forever! :D
    midga
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited June 2003
    I'm Chip. I've been folding with you guys for a month or so. I think I've got about 160WU's.. it's a start.

I'm an old guy of 36 and am the webmaster for Clan Beowulf. I've been working hard learning PHP (we run PHPNuke). I just made my first PHP scripts to post and archive Pics of the Day (POD). I'll be making it into my first PHPNuke module this week.

I like to hit the gym when I'm not doing geek stuff. That's how I got my nick Chip. I'll spare you the full story.

I learned of you guys through Gargoyle and Buddy Jesus Oklahoma University guys.

We have our own BattleField 1942 Desert Combat mod server on a T3 in Oklahoma. It's called The Witch's Castle. We have the whole OZ theme going on with our server names. 164.58.157.20

Oh ya, and that avatar is my face I put on my Quake3 character. Tut's on how to do that sort of thing are in our Content section of our website.
    Garg
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    I'm Brian, 18 years old, and I've been folding since sometime around the beginning of 2003. I live in Seattle Washington.

When I'm not browsing forums or doing school work (i'm a junior in HS) i'm usually playing Tribes: Vengeance with friends or out practicing my on my unicycle. I'm into photography also so I spend a lot of time doing that. I listen to indie type music but anything except rap is good with me. Right now I'm listening to lots of Dashboard Confessional, Aqau (good 'ol Aqua), and Green Day. Don't mention them to me tomorrow though, my music tastes change pretty fast and for all I know I might hate every one of those bands by tomorrow.

4th post! :P I just couldn't resist.

*updated on October 4th 2004*
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Real name is Kevin. I am pretty much the same as gobd except I live elseware and play different games. Currently my game of choice is planetside and raven-shield. I am in a ravenshield clan called {DoG} Dogs Of Glory. I play a major role there, even though supposedly we are all equal, I think I step up :). I currently have two boxes folding for team #93. This XP box which is a 2GHz P4, and my mandrake linux box, which is a 500MHz AMD K2-6 :p.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hey everyone, my name is Cameron, I live in Portsmouth, NH. I'm currently a senior in highschool (graduating in a little over a week now, June 13th, w0000t), I will be attending New Hampshire Technical College next year persuing a degree in Computer Science specializing in Network Administration and Security.

My current full-time hobby is making minifilms which I post online at my site www.purposelessproductions.com it's lots of fun and I enjoy doing work that people can get some enjoyment out of. We're currently starting our summer production which we are going to be spending a lot of time on so that it will be up to the highest quality we would like for submitting to several film festivals.

I like and listen to all different types of music, same with movies as well. That's about all I can think of about myself for now, thanks to everyone involved with this great new site, I finally have a new home! (I know it wasnt THAT long, but it's good to be back!)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Name: Wali
    Interests: Computers, Sci-Fi & Fantasy (Movies & Books), Hangin out in the S-M Forums :)

More later...... :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Name: Raúl Muñoz (Hispanic)
    Interests: Pwning n00bs in Raven Shield (just like I did §lick a few times :rolleyes: ), UT and any other FPS. Computers in general. Know jack about programming :(. So that's what I'm gonna study in college :D
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited June 2003
    Name Trinity aka Natasha aka soon to be Mrs Shorty
    Location United Kingdom
    Occupation Police officer ;)
    Interests Stealin shorty's old upgrades to put in my PC, general PC techy stuff, Gaming, Music, hangin out wit da guys at ShortMedia ;)

On the team as Trinity77 :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Name Marc Monnin
    Age 18 - 19 in July
    Location Sidney Ohio
    Occupation Student
    Interests Computers, Folding, all kinds of stuff

I am a Senior that had his last day on Friday. I graduate on Saturday (June 7th) and will be attending DeVry University in Columbus next Summer for 3 years. I will major in Computer Engineering Technology

I joined Icrontic in Oct 2001 and set out to read the enourmous FAH thread Leo made. Decided to join the team. Hehe 32nd one to join actually. Became addicted to Folding and Icrontic. Because of it I became the computer geek I am today and I credit it all to Icrontic and folding. I would not be where I am today without them and would not be headed in the same direction either.

Well as many of you know I was a hard core folder and became mod because of it. The addiction has brought me here and I will continue to be as long as there is a good cause to make my computer work on.

Fold on guys.:)
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yo, I'm Phil, a 17yr old junior (I guess a senior now? graduation was yesterday) in high school in Montgomery County, Maryland. I do pretty advanced academics in school as well as singing for the choir... been in 2 musicals, I like to be well-rounded... none of my RL friends are interested like I am in everything about computers though. At least we get LAN parties done every now and then. Anyway I'm thinking of studying electrical or computer engineering in college.

I joined Icrontic in Feb 2001 because of Paul's KT7 FAQ and the hilarious Ghetto Hardware. Never a huge poster but it's where I learned almost everything about hardware and tweaking.

I fold under the name ElanMorinTedronai, which I used at Icrontic, but it's long and weird so I'll just be EMT here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    <hr>
    From the "www.short-media.com About page":

Brian "primesuspect" Ambrozy

Brian Ambrozy has fifteen years of computer experience, ranging from the obscure to the very latest cutting edge professional hardware. In 1999, he founded sarcnet industries, inc. which provides revolutionary computer and network maintenance for small- to mid- sized companies in the Detroit, Michigan area. A devoted practitioner of Theravada Buddhism, he strives to bring happiness and peace to people and loves utilizing technology to do it.

<hr>

Okay, so that's the official, media-friendly description. But it helps to have a start...

I am a father and a husband, a spiritual seeker, a business owner, and a techie, in that order...

I have two boys, Perry and Kyle, who are currently 5 and 4 years old, respectively. I have been married for almost five years to my wife Tracey.

I live in a suburb of Detroit, actually 1 block north of Detroit.. In fact, I live directly off the famous "8 Mile Road" and yes, it is as bad as it looks in the movie.

I started sarcnet industries back in 1999 , along with my good friend -tk who is the Unix Mod on this site. We do computer maintenance, mostly of the MCSE-skill-set variety, and networking. We also do hosting (as if you didn't already know that!).

I am an unabashed follower of the buddhist path, and will talk your ear off about it if you let me. It's true when I say that I love using technology and communications to help people. The internet has been the single most revolutionary concept in human communication (I put it up there with the invention of the written word) and so I feel that we are entering an era of spiritual renaissance due to our extraordinary ability to communicate with people today. That's why I love forums so much. What a great place to help people and maybe bring a little peace into their lives.

The fact that MediaMan and Shorty honored me deeply by asking me to come on board is almost more than I can fathom. So, as your humble host, I promise that I will do my best to make this a happy, peaceful, fun, and fulfilling place to hang out.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Name: Christopher Conrad Simon Sr. (Chris)
    Birthday: September 30th, 1958
    Interests: Swimming, fishing & gumbo.

I am a cajun descendant but I don't speak the language.
    ...have a wife, son, stepdaughter, dog & cat.
    ...am catholic.
    ...hoping to build a new house soon so that we can live happily ever after!!!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Name: Greg
    Birthday: 7-8-77
    Interests: My daughter/Golf/Computers/Nascar
    Homepage: http://jones77.netfirms.com
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    My name is Matt and like General Keebler I am from Pennsylvania. I live in a tiny little place known as Erwinna which is located about half-way between Philadelphia and the Lehigh Valley, right along the Delware river (in fact I drive to jersey to get gas, its cheaper that way).

My family consists of a couple of brothers and sisters all of whom are younger then I am. One of my brothers attends Syracuse currently. We have two cats here and I personally have three fish up at school with me for a little company. My love life has been intresting for the last few years as I am currently on for the third time with my best friend and possibly love of my life Charlotte. We attending high school together although we do not attend the same school now. In fact she goes to Washinton DC each year while I head in the opposite direction.

I just finished my junior year of college this past May at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, NY. I am 3/4 of the way to earning my bachelor's of science degree in Electrical Engineering & Applied Physics. I spend nearly all of my time while at school doing any of the following: homework, projects, tutoring, studying, doing lab work, playing video games, or sleeping. I fully intend on going into the area of microelectronics research when my time at RPI is done with. Wether or not I go directly onto graduate school remains to be seen.

This summer I will be heading to Santa Barbara, CA to work an internship I was awarded at the Universtity of California Santa Barbara. I will be working on a nanofabrication research project will I am sure will prove to take away all of my free time which I would rather be using to check out the California coast. Needless to say I am incredibly excited to get out there, although I will not be leaving until June 16th.

I started folding about a year ago when I was informed about it by my friend ReelBigFish. At first I just let it run on what at the time was my new rig and I set it up on my laptop. Mostly I didn't really worry about it. For a couple of months last fall I stopped folding to try out SETI because I thought it might be intresting. However I came to miss the feeling of being on a team so I came back to folding. This past winter I was able to add folding to a computer in a lab which I do research in. This brand-new P4 rig runs 24/7. It was right around then that I really started to frequent the team forums and let folding begin to take over my life. I now have only 4 or 5 processors folding for me, but there was a time when I had upwards of 9 or 10 going.

I want to stress the point that what really did it for me with folding was the team atmosphere here. Knowing that there are all these other people out there and we are all rooting for each other and the team is definitly the main reason why I continue to fold and seek out new folding machines. I am very proud to be a member of Team 93 and I certainly hope that we can re-organize ourselves and re-claim our top 5 place!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Name: WuGgaRoO
    Ive been folding for icrontic for appx a year..now im on team short media..i suppose...Well..im a folding fanatic...i try to get as many comps under my belt as possible...too bad i cant have em all on right now...cuz my mom would kill me for the bill...but when i get back to my college dorm...oh u better believe there will be a lot of folding power....
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Name: Bill Maly
    Weight: 241.5 and falling, thank you Dr. Atkins

Job: Help Desk tech for a large insurance company. Mind numbingly dull at times, but also interesting. Payz da billz as they say.

Hobbies: I gots 2 childrens, a wife, a dog, and a mortgage. When those obligations are met, I am a hardware hacker. I also enjoy shooting sports, and reload my own ammunition. I hunt in the fall and I enjoy long moonlit walks along the beach, or something sensitive like that.

Controversial stuff: I tend to be conservative, but I am not a Republican, political parties suck, all of them. Even yours. I don't actively practice any religion, as I feel if I am to be judged/evaluated in an after life, I will be judged on the sum of my life, and not where I spent my Sunday mornings.

Goals: Finish MCSE certification by the end of the year. Or so.

What else....I host Icrontic14, which no doubt will need to be renamed at some point in the near future here. I like Desert Combat and UT2K3. Oh, and Guinness :beer: when I can get good Guinness. That's all for now, continue awaiting further orders. :nudge:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I am Ed Blessman. The bulk of my waking hours are spent as a metallurgical engineer for a company that manufactures stainless steel tubing.

I would love to be in school again. I have a B.S. and M.S. from Purdue and an MBA from University of Tulsa.

My wife and I have been married 24 years. We have two daughters (13 and 15) that remind me how clueless and fun being a kid was. Rule #1, teenage boys are stupid. And our dog is great too.

I started at IC when I needed to replace a very old computer. It was a great way to catch up on technology. I started folding because it sounded like a worth while cause and the forum was fun.

I travel a lot for work, both in the US and in Asia. I am trying to contact fellow folders where ever I go. I have actually met a few of the guys.:beer:

We like it here in Wisconsin. I grew up near Detroit, lived and worked in Indianpolis for 10 years. We also lived in Oklahoma (Bartlesville, no not Phillips) for 12 years. Since my wife and I have family in MI still we wanted to get back north.

Being an old guy I am a novice geek. I am not running any bleeding edge equipment, but I will never fall more than a couple of years behind with my equipment.

I am a rather conservitive guy, in every respect. But I have traveld a lot and like almost everyone and everywhere.

I am glad to see us together in our new home. Now let's recruit a few more to join us!

Thrax, I am sorry to see that you go to Dumbdaro. I of course went to Kimball. About 30 years ago!!
  • edited June 2003
    Name: Jason Akers

Been folding for about a month now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thrax, I am sorry to see that you go to Dumbdaro. I of course went to Kimball. About 30 years ago!!

Hilarious, but Dondero has been the better school academically for the better part of the last 21 years. The average graduate GPA of Dondero is 3.25, and the average graduate GPA of Kimball is 2.63.

Dumb indeed.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    Name: Derek Sahota
    Interests: Solid-State Physics, Computers, Rocketry, Middle/Near East and Islamic History and Culture, anything to do with technology

I'm a second year student taking electronics engineeering at Simon Fraser University. My specialization is engineering physics which means I'm some sort of wierd engineering/physicist crossbreed. I'll add more later as I've got a lab to finish :D
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    qparadox said
    I'm a second year student taking electronics engineeering at Simon Fraser University. My specialization is engineering physics which means I'm some sort of wierd engineering/physicist crossbreed.

Nice! Sounds like you are pretty much in the same boat as me... :thumbsup:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Name: Rob Updegrove
    Folding Rig: Currently an XP1700+ at stock speed
    Misc Info: I'm finishing my Bachelor's degree in IS now and I'm about to embark upon getting my MBA this summer. June '04 I'll be on the job scene and ready to make some serious money. For now I'll have to be satisfied with only 3 PCs. My interests include folding, women (one at a time), and automobiles.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited June 2003
    Name: SimGuy

Occupation: Hydro One Networks Inc - Field Business Centre Clerical Summer Student. Most of the time, you can find me working in either the payroll department or the accounts receivable department.

Interests: Computer hardware, software, networking, FTL (faster than light) computing, robotics, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, automobiles & women (not necessarily in this order).

Bit About Me: I attended St. Stephen's Catholic High School in Bowmanville, Ontario, completing grades 9-OAC (Ontario's high school system has 5 levels) with distinct honours. Last year, I was enrolled in a Bachelor of Computer Science: Management & Business Systems undergraduate degree program at Carleton University in our nation's capital, Ottawa. However, after realizing that Computer Science is not all it's cracked up to, I switched to a brand new program: the Bachelor's of Information Technology: Network Technologies program, a 4-year in-depth joint learning venture between Carleton University & Algonquin College(http://bitdegree.ca).

On the side, I enjoy the tech life. Keeping up-to-date with the latest information and having a mildly up-to-date computer system are important items to me, to which I will go to almost any extent to posess. I am currently in the process of assembling a test LAN here @ home for the purpose of self-teaching myself the NT 4, Win2K & Win2K3 MCSE programs (thanks Shorty).

Don't forget all the other things that most 19 year olds do: party, hang out & watch movies :)
  • edited June 2003
    Hey, my name is Rick. A lot of people will know me as l0C0 from phlux.co.uk (RIP) :(. I'm located in Manchester, UK. I'm studying my A levels at college.

I enjoy playing with/breaking computers (I seem to be good at that), I also like listening to and playing music. I play piano, tuba and a few other instruments. I listen to a lot of music, ranging from Mendelssohn to Dimmu Borgir. I'm really into prog rock and black metal at the moment.

Just in case anyone is interested in my pc specs, here they are. Please note that these will change slightly in the near future:
    MSI nForce K7N 420Pro Motherboard
    On board sound
    On board graphics
    Athlon XP 1600+
    256mb DDR RAM

:cheers:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    You must know Spinner then as both of you live in Manchester, UK.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Name: danball1976 - or for real Charles Daniel Ball

Occupation: Military - Comm/Nav/Mission Systems Apprentice working on the B-52H bomber

Interests: Lets see - Computers - Hardware/Software, Women (naturally), as well as some other stuff

Misc Info: Born in Mesa, AZ on Sept. 21, 1976, lived in Chandler, AZ from 1976 - 1981, when we moved to Amarillo, TX and lived there from 1981 - Jan 1986, we then moved back to Mesa, AZ in Jan 1986 - Nov 1992, and then moved back to Amarillo, TX in Nov 1992. Graduated from High School in May 1995 with an 83% average, and being in the bottom half of the class no less!! Have 108 credit hours of college (No Associate degree - didn't know anything about it). The first computer I owned was a IBM XT w/640K RAM and 20MB hard drive in 1998 - bought from college auction. THen in April 1999 I built my first computer, had a Cyrix MII PR300, 233MHz, 32MB PC66 SDRAM, and a 3GB hard drive, 24x CD-ROM and floppy drive on a Soyo 5EMA+ SS7 board. Went into the Air Force in Jan 29, 2002. Graduated basic April 1, 2002 (March 29 to be exact). Was at tech school at Lackland from April 1 - June 30 for Electronic Principles, 6 weeks of that just waiting for class to start. Then went to Shepperd AFB in July 1 to Nov 15 for Bomb Nav/Comm Nav tech school, was on RAP for two weeks, and arrived at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA in December.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    edit: I'm gonna replace mine sometime when I'm more awake. :)
  • edited June 2003
    Name: Jim Gautreaux

Occupation: Drilling Fluids Engineer in the Oil and Gas industry

Interests: computers, folding, camping, shooting and reloading

Misc info: I graduated from New Iberia Senior High School in 1974(damn, almost 30 years ago already!:eek: ), went to college at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, LA. I started as a drilling fluids engineer(commonly called mud, because the majority of it has a muddy color) in 1979 and have been doing it since, with the exception of part of 1986 and part of 1987, when the drilling industry got real slow. During that time, I went to the Teche Area Technical College and took up Industrial Electricity and finished that 2 year course in 1 year with honors. By then, the drilling industry had picked back up so I went back to it because the money was much better.:D

I first got to messing with computers back in the early 80's, first with a TI 99/4a and then went in half with my older brother on a "cutting edge" Zenith Z80 that had 128k ram and 2 5 1/4 floppy drives and a color monitor.:p After getting away from computers for a few years, I then went with an Amiga 500 in 1989, which was an amazing system and OS for it's day; it's too bad that it was owned and backed by Commodore.:mad: I got my first x86 machine in 1994 and started learning about the workings of them since then.

I first got into folding with another forum team in 2001, but came over here to Icrontic (and now SM) in mid 2002 because I thought that the ICX concept was really cool and that Team Icrontic didn't believe in having sub-teams.

I've been married 16 years, and have a daughter that just turned 11 last month.:D
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    <b>Name:</b> Melissa Gutierrez Crawford
    <b>Age:</b> 24
    <b>Location:</b> Dallas, TX
    <b>Folding since:</b> February 2003.
    <b>Occupation:</b> stay-at-home mother and freelance art geek
    <b>Interests:</b> artsy crap (illustration and painting, mostly), backyard artillery, cartography, climbing, document and photograph restoration, needlework, sewing
    <b>Other:</b> When I first posted my introduction in June 2003, I was living in North Carolina with the geek-in-training and her dad. We've since split fairly amicably and the little geek and I live in Dallas. I'm not looking, but if you're in the area and want to meet for coffee, I'm usually free.

My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 102. I still have it, though it won't run from battery power until I clean the terminals again. I've had the same Dell box (500MHz P3, 256 MB RAM) since 2001, though I am finally joining the 21st century and building a new box later this year. My old box will go to the little geek so she can play her games without having to use my computer.

If you want to see photos, check out the photos section of my website, <a href="http://www.oddharmonic.org/">oddharmonic.org</a>; if you just want to see my brilliant wit (ha) and occasional random photo or recipe, check out my <a href="http://oddharmonic.livejournal.com/">LiveJournal</a>.
  • kroffkroff Portoroz, Slovenia
    edited June 2003
    name: David Nemec
    interests: collecting high quality anime releases (over 400gb ..for now) ..and watching them.
    other: I'm 27yo, student of maritime engineering ...what else? hmmm... i got my first computer in 1983 or something ..a sinclair zx spectrum 48k, then in 1986 i got the greatest computer ..the commodore Amiga 1000 ...and i got almost all amigas after that ..exept for a3000t and a4000t. i used amigas until 1999(or 2000) ..when i bought my first x86 board abit kt7-raid and the amd tb700. at that time i installed win98 ..and hate it. tried win2k and hate it, then came the winME...and i reformated the hd after the installation and put 2k back, then came the winxp ..i started to hate them too. now i use windows 2003 server ..and for now is ok. :-)