pc133 ram?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Hardware
can i put pc133 ram into a pc100 only motherboard? What could be the worst that will happen?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    1) Yes.
    2) It'll run at a 100 bus.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    If I remember correctly, some boards that use only PC100 don't like PC133 and it won't work.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    The worst thing that will happen is that your computer will not start when the PC133 module is in use. :)
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited July 2003
    Some time ago, I plugged a 256 133 on my 440BX 266 computer and it worked without a hitch...
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    There are issues with older chipsets (such as the 440BX & Via MVP3 & MVP4) that are unable to fully utilize the newer, high-density memory modules.

The older 256 MB low-density SDRAM modules that had 16 chips (8 per side) could be utilized fully by these chipsets without a problem. However, when memory manufacturers increased the density of each of the memory chips & cut down the number of chips required (from 16 to 8), these older chipsets cannot fully recognize the size of each chip.

Hence, when you attempt to utilize a new 256 MB high-density SDRAM module in one of these older chipsets, you often find that they are only able to recognize 128 MB's of the memory module.
  • edited July 2003
    There is no difference in PC100 and PC133 except for the speed they are guaranteed to run at. Just like cpu's, you might be able to run your PC100 up to 133Mhz.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    awww shcuks....i have a 440bx chipset...i wanted to buy sum pc100 ram...but that is soooo expensive...
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    Cool Canuck said
    There is no difference in PC100 and PC133 except for the speed they are guaranteed to run at. Just like cpu's, you might be able to run your PC100 up to 133Mhz.

that used to be true but not anymore. As stated above by someone the new 133's are higher density and wont run properly on older chipsets. Ive also heard of them not running at all unless at 133 but thats rumor.

Tek
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    I tried to install a stick of 133 into an older system for someone, it didn't even recoginze the ram at all.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    it worked with a 440bx chip...like sumone here predicted..BUT just like they predicted, only 128 was detected
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    ya; it depends on the memory as people have said. The higher density RAM, if it works at all, will only be detected @ 1/2 size... your best bet is to go find some double-sided 256mb sticks. They're still around and they're not that expensive.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    If its that old it prolly doesnt need that much RAM on it. 128 will run 2k fine.
  • El-CheapoEl-Cheapo Central California
    edited July 2003
    My old FIC VA503 was picky about which slot the RAM was in--pc100 worked fine in both slots,but pc133 would only be detected in one slot--It recognized it correctly there,but not at all in the other slot.
    VIA chipset .

ec
  • edited July 2003
    If it's an old BX board, just go to Crucial's site and use their memory configurator to pick the memory for your old mobo; they guarrantee compatability when you use their memory configurator and their ram is great. I used to use their PC133 cas2 in the old BH6 board I had all the time with no problems.