Folding sig star/cog system

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
As demonstrated in my sig, all the old sigs had stars or cogs above them as a type of award for how many folding points you have.

With the permission of the team, I'd like to revamp that system as we prepare to re-release that system so that the stars and cogs represent different point values.

I feel the current system is inadequate for 3 reasons.

First, the highest level is 5 golden cogs, which is only for 90,000 points and a few members have passed that point and cannot hope for further increases. I feel reorganizing is better than making new icons, because 5 gold cogs is the perfect pinnacle, IMHO.

Second, the low end of the system was made for when point values were much lower. People can turn in one WU now and surpass several levels just to start.

Third, the current system has a few logic flaws. 100 points is four gold stars? 10k is 2 red cogs? The scale jumps around a bit, and I'd like to resolve that.

Let me know what you all would like to see in this area. Thanks!

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited July 2003
    Perhaps you should post the full current system to refresh everyone's memory. Then you will more likely receive the proper feedback to re-vamp the system.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I vote revamp, but what did you have in mind? :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Gotta go and make everything complicated, don't ya MrBill?? ;)
    /me copies and moves the system so people do go figuring out where the generator is

Check it out here: http://students.juniata.edu/russeml2/preview/stars.html

FA has informed me that my ability to identify colors is impaired :p 100 points is 4 bronze, not gold, stars.

Let me draw up a new system and get back to you in a minute, Trekky.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    I also vote revamp. I never liked the scales that were used anyways, and in light of all the changes that we have seen lately, why not make a change to the folding stars/cogs system.;)

~FA
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    The first bronze star could be fore 100 points and then 200, 3, 4, 5, then 1k. Or something. 500k could be the 5th gold cog for now. Gives csimon a lot of head room.

We could add some more levels to keep the distances within reach if needed.
    edited July 2003
    All right, in my attempt to reformat, I found that the only way to keep the system nice to beginners is to increase the number of symbols. Here is what my revamp looks like. Mostly, I just made it make a bit more sense. It only extended by 10K really.

So then, what should the next set of symbols be? Little flags perhaps? The SM arc logo thing?

Proposed system: http://students.juniata.edu/russeml2/preview/stars2.html

//edit: see, now it makes sense! :D Especially since the division between stars and cogs is 10k, and the division between cogs and the next symbol will be 100k.

//edit2: how about the new symbol be a DNA strand that gets longer as it replaces the cogs, and then changes color slowly? The five slots could join together to form a long horizontal chain...
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    I think the revamped system is a good idea

keebs, if you could get the dna strand thing to work i think that would be hot
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Yeah a double helix in the fashion of the one that's used as the google compute icon. :thumbsup:

~FA
    edited July 2003
    You can eliminate 6,7,8,9 and make a 7.5 since we had sometime closer to that before. Then go 2.5 until 15k, then every 5k. So at 50k you got all 5 red cogs. Then every 10k. I had it worked out to get 450k out of the stars but then no one would get to use the helix right now.

That would be more versatile too. You could add more color helixs at the end once csimon tops it.
    edited July 2003
    The way it stands, though, it is easier to remember what the levels are because they make better sense, and people can get increasing symbols at a faster rate in the beginning.

I'll start working on a helix then :) If anyone else wants to make one, feel free.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    i like the revamped way
    edited July 2003
    Well if you only added 10k more but stretched it out a bit you only made it harder for for new members to make milestones.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Good Idea Gen. Keebler... A little change never hurt no one (much) and this team has changed quite a bit... not to mention the change in the systems and folding methods that allow faster point accrual.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Is there a way to get rid of the stars and make it all cogs at first, later becoming the DNA strand?
    edited July 2003
    GHoosdum said
    Is there a way to get rid of the stars and make it all cogs at first, later becoming the DNA strand?
    If I got rid of the stars, then it would defeat the whole solution of getting more symbols...
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    looks good to me ...mmonnin has a few good points also ...lets make it easiest on the guys getting started! :fold:
    edited July 2003
    100 points nowadays is not much. Have that wil 500. Then 1k then every 1k til 10. Then 2. and keep making them more spread out from there.