Sony has discontinued all CRT monitors.

edited August 2004 in Hardware
This is a sad day for me. For about 7 years i've lived by Sony's CRT monitors. They have had the best visual quality of any monitor i've ever seen.

I had been looking to upgrade my 19" to a 21" CPD-G520 soon and almost have enough saved but when i looked online today i noticed that there were far fewer available and they seemed to go up a bit in price. A few of the places i called said they had none in stock and then the last place i called told me that Sony has actually discontinued ALL of their crt monitors for lcd's. Called Sony and its true.

Its really sad when you've developed a brand loyalty to someone and then they completely stop making the product that you love. I play a lot of games so obviously i can't stand the picture quality of lcd monitors not to mention the fact that they're a lot more expensive.

Does anyone know of another good brand of high performance CRT monitors that can even compare to the Sony ones? Nothing i've ever seen in a store comes close.

Comments

• edited July 2004
    What about rebranded Sony monitors (the ones based on Trinitron tubes)?

I reccomend you check out merkortech.com. Many of us here have bought their refurbed monitors (including myself) and loved the outcome (expensive monitors at really cheap prices).
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The real question is..
    Has Sony quit marketing CRT monitors? or Have they quit making Trinitron tubes?
    Two very different issues.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Oh ****.

That means no more F520.

Must... buy... now...

This indeed is a sad moment :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Hitachi CM-823F. It's indistinguishable from my Dell P1110 which uses the 21" trinitron tubes.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    There's also the DiamondTron CRT tubes from Mitsubishi (another version of the Trinitron essentially - same technology).

AFAIK, only high-end Mitsubishi & NEC monitors utilize the DiamondTron CRT tubes (aperture grille, perfectly flat).
  • edited July 2004
    Thanks for the link to merkortech.com. I'm intrigued however most of those rebranded monitors seem to be versions of slightly lower grade Sony's (the G500 i think) with lower max refresh rates and resolutions. Does anyone know what the rebranded version of the CPD-G520 is called? I kind of want to go all the way to get the best boost in refresh rates in addition to the size. Right now my 19" has a max of 1600x1200 at a refresh rate of 75hz. I'm very picky about refresh rates so i'd like to have a monitor that can get about 100 hz at 1600x1200 or at least 90.

Its really hard to tell what the max refresh rates for each resolution are by the specs on merkortech.com. Its also hard to find any info on the G520's refresh rates other than max res/refresh and recommended res/refresh.
  • edited July 2004
    Well I know my Compaq P1100 (rebranded 21" Sony monitor which uses a perfectly flat Trinitron tube) has the highest refresh rates I have seen for a monitor of this size (up to 100Hz at a rez of 1280x1024, with a max rez of 2048x1536).

It's currently available at Merkortech right now, or at least the last time I checked. It's the best monitor I have ever used/owned, especially since I paid a fraction of the cost compaired to what this thing cost brand new (over $1500 new, I got it for just over $300 shipped).

Just be sure to get a "Grade A" monitor no matter what you end up buying. Otherwise you'll get one with scratches on the screen (however minor they may be).
  • edited July 2004
    whats the refresh rate at 1600 x 1200 or 18xx x 14xx?
    edited July 2004
    1600x1200 is 85Hz.
  • edited July 2004
    I assume that CPD-5410 oem SUN X7136A has the same specs.
  • edited July 2004
    I think i'm gonna go with that Compaq P1100. It seems to be the rebranded version of the higher end sony's. I'm still a little bit wary of buying a refurb (i'm extremely picky) but at $255 i guess i can't go wrong.
  • edited August 2004
    I was too, until I powered up this behemoth and plopped it down on my desk...

No more "decent" monitors for me, just the best!
    edited August 2004
    Yeah. I bought one on TheSMJ's suggestion, the P1110 from Merkortech and this thing.. Yeah, it looks absolutely brand spanking new from the factory. I will never buy a new monitor again after my experience with this thing.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited August 2004
    Viewsonic P95F+ works good for me.
    I can do 100hz@1280*960
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2004
    I just picked up an NEC 1250+ 22" CRT. It's got a .25AG, 1600x1200@87Hz, 1280x1024@100Hz. Picture quality is fantastic. Got it 'off lease'. But I could have sworn it was 100% brand new when I opened the box. Cost me less than $300CDN. I've always thought highly of NEC CRT's (now NEC-Mitsu). I've used some viewsonic monitors in the past as well, all of which had sony tubes, and they were also quite nice. I need a new video card now though, 800x600 games do not cut it on that monitor :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    NEC\Mitsubishi here too. Sony used other companies (licensed tech to others) to mfr tubes for a time before they stopped branding CRTs. Once <16 mSec response panels became practical (not cheap but doable), the CRT sales could be phased out and Sony did so. NEC will be eventually making only LCDs also.

They (LCDs) do not overheat, draw less power (hugely less than CRTs do when they sleep, and lots less even when actively displaying), take up less desk or table space, etc-- and most are light enough that you can wall-mount them now that flat panels are using more and more plastic\polymers and less and less glass.... Expect a type transition over next two years. Then another to cool plasma technology, within next decade.
  • edited August 2004
    So far i haven't seen an LCD that holds a candle to my 19" sony in terms of picture quality.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Man I wish I would have went there when I was buying a monitor. I bought a viewsonic 19inch A90f+ and it has been nothing but trouble. Some problem with it reaching the width of the screen. Seems to be a common problem with this monitor. If I can get them to fix it under warrenty I'll be selling it and buying one of those referb 21inch sony's.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Caxus wrote:
    So far i haven't seen an LCD that holds a candle to my 19" sony in terms of picture quality.

Correct. I like NEC 21" high-end monitors also-- for pure quality of picture. AFAIK, Sony will still be mfring the Trinitron CRT gun and tube assemblies, just not whole monitors. NEC\Mitsu makes monitors with Trinitron tubes also, though they are very high end offerings typically-- the funny thing is, in US, one of the biggest mfr refurb high-volume lead resellers for NEC\Mitsu is TigerDirect .

They buy CRT mfr refurbs by the whole truck trailer load per model, almost. ProVantage sells some mfr refurbs also, mostly Sony and NEC\Mitsubishi. So does Dartek, but they are also under the same umbrella corporation now as is TigerDirect-- the SystemMax umbrella.
  • edited August 2004
    Well i got my Compaq P1100 and it seems like a really nice monitor but like i said i'm extremely picky. I had some trouble getting the refresh rates to change but thats fixed now.

My main problems with it are the contrast, the color, the brightness doesn't go low enough, and text is a bit blurry (might be the convergence).

My Sony E400 had an amazingly crisp picture. The contrast got bright enough that i kept it down to about 60 to be perfect. The new monitor needs to go all the way up to 100 and it still feels like it might be slightly dimmer.

The color seems a bit yellow but this should be easily fixable with some tweaking. I just need to set my old monitor up next to the new one so i can get it as close as possible.

The brightness on my E400 got very low if i needed it to. The normal setting was around 55-60 but this new monitor seems very milky unless i take the brightness all the way down to zero. Is there some way to recalibrate it so that the normal range is more in the middle like the 50's so that i can take it even lower if i want? This is helped though by the light sensor setting which does take the brightness much lower in low light situations. The problem is that it also seems to take the contrast a bit lower than i like even when its maxed out at 100. I also don't really like the idea of an auto adjust.

The text seems a bit blurry and rainbowy which leads me to believe it could be fixed by tweaking the convergence. I've never really tried this but i assume it can't hurt.

Overall i'm pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, this monitor is fantasic by most standards its just that my Sony E400 is my most prized possession in the whole world and i only really wanted to upgrade it if i could get a near identical monitor just with higher refresh rates and a larger screen. If i'm still longing for my old picture somewhat it makes me wonder why i upgraded to begin with. I'll take some time with it and finish the tweaks but i may end up selling it to a friend and holding out for a leftover CPD-G520.
  • edited August 2004
    I'd have to double check (I wont be able to until I get home from work) but I had to play with the color temp settings/contrast as well for a while before I was happy with the picture. Make SURE the monitor has been on for at least an hour (hour and a half to be sure) before messing with the settings.

I would recommended starting by running the auto configure in the settings menu (again, I'd have to be sitting in front of it to tell you exactly where it is) and going from there.

The convergence is also something which will need to be played with before you really can judge the picture (again, only AFTER the heater has warmed up). Finally, in the Color menu, you can tweak the RGB settings to your liking.

As for the light sensor, I don't use it either. It's an interesting little gimmick, but it was far from the reasons I purchased the monitor in the first place.
  • edited August 2004
    Is your monitor's brightness also naturally high like mine is? Without the light sensor on its still really milky even as low as 25ish.
  • edited August 2004
    As I recall, I have brightness ALL the way down, and contrast up to 88 or something.