hyperthreading rules!

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
currently running 2 instances of FAH

the first instance was getting 7 min/ frame
on a gromac (the console wont let me scroll far enough to see what it was). i then opened a second instance, which began folding a P638_L939_K12m_ext tinker. the first instance continues folding at 7 min/frame, while the new one starts with 8 min/ frame.

this is the shizzy

btw

p4 2.8c
abit is7
512 pc3500 corsair on "street racer" setting, F1 was giving me memory bsod's

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Awesome :cool2:
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    that sounds pretty sweet there Baron... keep up the awesome folding
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    PS you suck. i hate you, die. (lolz0rs{
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    goddamn u intel....i hate u...i want to be a loyal AMD customer...but with benches like these....SHEESH!!!
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    So it does work well with 2 instances. Thanks, I needed a bit more motivation to get my new system working.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I dont get it. If you have only one instance, F@H doesn´t use all it´s power?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    i think this has something to do with the design inherant to hyperthreading, being that windows reads the CPU and another virtual cpu... i.e. when i press ctrl-alt-del and look under performance or run 3dmark2003 they both show me running dual 2.8's.

i dont know if that makes any sense, but 5-7 mins a frame is pretty good regardless of full CPU load or not. also, the second instance does not change my load temp at all
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Its something with hyperthreading.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2003
    Oh I totaly agree that Hyperthreading rulz... :)

I'm runnin 4 clients hyperthreaded on my dual Xeon rig and kicking some major genome butt...

Lovin the Xeons...
    "g"
    edited July 2003
    mmmmm ... xeons ...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    TheBaron,
    I have an Intel 3.0 HT and I cannot get it to run 2 instances at the same time. Also, the one only takes 50% of the processor... any ideas how you got it to run?
    edited July 2003
    i have no idea at all, all i know is apparently all applications think that i'm running 2 cpus.

when i'm running 1 it says 100%
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited July 2003
    Inorder to run 2, one must be the console. You can use the first instance as the graphical client, but the second always has to be the console. You just have to install the console in a different directory from the first instance and change the machine ID to #2.
    edited July 2003
    The big fish is correct. The GUI takes machine ID 1...always. And you cannot change that. So the second one to make sure you get a different machine ID, you must use the console with a machine ID of 2. Of course in separate directories.

TheBaron: Thats what HT is supposed to do. The OS things it has to logical drives instead of one. It improves on multitasking since the OS thinks there are 2 CPUs it can send 2 sets of tasks to the CPU to make sure it is utalized as much as possible, or at least better than w/o HT. Some programs and benches, HT actually worsen performance.
    edited July 2003
    yeah well, i'm running 2 consoles so that probably explains that.

i know, i was just trying to be clear

thanks all
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited July 2003
    Can't you run two consoles both as a service and just edit the config.cfg file to have a different machine id? Why wouldn't that work? Just make sure you give both services a different name, and place them in their own folders both with -local in the command line to be sure that they stay in their own folder.

If this doesn't work can someone tell me why?
    edited July 2003
    2 consoles should work. At least one of the HAS to be a console. The only reason why you have to have one is because you cant edit the machine ID in the GUI.

Different folders, different service names, different machine ID, and -local.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    thanks... then I will do that right now. My P4HT will count as 2 (1.5 GHz) processors!!!!! Cool... WuGgaRoO watch out!!!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    BRING IT!!!!