Which would fold faster?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
A dual p3 system at 1100
A xp 2400+
Or an xp 2500+ barton

im only asking because the 2400+ is clocked at 2.0ghz...and lets face it...i think folding is all about mhz (unfortunatly) so which one would give me the best folding output

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'm pretty sure the barton would fold faster, but the dual p3 would definitely be the slowest - you're only folding at 1100mhz even if you're running two instances it would still be outperformed by a single AXP. I could be wrong, perhaps the 2400+ would be faster.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    tinkers or gromacs?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    gromacs
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You're all wrong. What would fold faster is all three systems at once :D.

Seriously though - the dual p3 is your current system, right? If you're upgrading, keep that thing around or donate it to the Folding Rigs project and make it fold!
    edited July 2003
    thats not the case...im returning the p3 to the dude who i bought it off of, and im trying to sell off the motherboard. I rather have the money from the system and then use it to buy a 2400+ or a 2500+...whichever ones folds faster...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    2500+ OCed.:)

Uhh its close between the 2ghs 2400+ and the 1.83 of the 2500+. I dont know if the cache inprovement can make that much of a difference.

If you are OCing then there is no choice, the 2500+.
    edited July 2003
    ehhh...i dont think ill be doing much ocing...im prolly going to buy a vbery cheap kt600 mobo....prolly the Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L, VIA KT600..its at newegg for 72 bucks...will i be able to oc with this monstrocity
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    xp 2500+ barton... Plus run cooler, I would think. Less heat, less power consumption.
  • edited July 2003
    I'm not convinced that the dual p3 would be any slower than a single 2500 or 2400, running Gromacs WU's. Look at the production rate of IC13BartWilliams, which is an old P3 1000. It's putting out around 200-250 points/week, which is around half of what the fastest of the Team rigs can do. If you were talking mixed Tinkers and Gromacs, the XP's will smoke the dual Intel rig but SSE makes a hell of a difference for the P3.
    edited July 2003
    i like ur sig QCh...mind if i use it in my sig?
    "Signature Temporarily Disabled as directed from Gen. Keebler

See Post
    http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=17270#post17270
    "
    edited July 2003
    WuGgaRoO... first you taunt me as you pass me up in Folding :banghead:

Next you start threads like this one to make it even harder to reclaim what was mine (a spot above you) :respect:

Now you want to take my EXTREMELY DIFFICULT Sig too.... well I suppose. :vimp:
    edited July 2003
    its all friendly competition QCH...its all friendly competition
    edited July 2003
    Now <b> I </b> like that sig!!!!!! All in how you play the game
    edited July 2003
    ur a worthy opponent QCH...ur a worthy opponent
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited July 2003
    trust me, you want to get a Barton 2500+ and overclock it. Get the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra nForce 2 Ultra 400 mobo from newegg for $63 shipped, and the barton retail for $92. I have that setup running at 2.2Ghz(11x200) with stock voltage and cooling using 1 512MB stick of Geil PC3200 ram. You basically get a 3200+ for $92. Definitly worth it to get a $448 processor for $92.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    GOOD recommendation. Cheaper as well. I wouldnt get a KT600 anyway. There are cheap nForce2 boards out there.