The Official Half Life 2 Thread

edited September 2003 in Gaming
This is a must. Fellow fans and Icrontians......erm.....Shortmedians, full in this thread with all the Halflifey goodness

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    I'm looking forward to Jk3 myself :) Hows it hangin there Ion?
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited June 2003
    JK3 will be awesome... I am honestly looking forward to HL2 more though. This thread kicks ass and should be teh stickied! :D:D

Half-Life 2 is just goig to be friggin' amazing... DOOM3 may own it in graphics, but Half-Life 2, from what I have seen, will own the hell out of it in EVERYTHING else... game play, the physics engine, and the overall fun factor.

HALF LIFE 2 FOREVER! :D:D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    That pickey-uppy launchy thing looks cool. Though I am wondering if it will have the atmosphere that Half-Life one had, because in some ways the restrictions make it more threatening, where as now you can go with alot more options, also wondering if it will pick up a multiplayer following, or, if it will even have multiplayer.

NS
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737 said
    That pickey-uppy launchy thing looks cool. Though I am wondering if it will have the atmosphere that Half-Life one had, because in some ways the restrictions make it more threatening, where as now you can go with alot more options, also wondering if it will pick up a multiplayer following, or, if it will even have multiplayer.

NS

It'll have multiplayer. Thats where the revenue is...all the serious gamers want to play against other people. After all, we all know how easy it is to beat up on comp players once we've played against people.

I don't know a single serious gamer that plays single-player stuff that doesn't have multi as well.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited June 2003
    Yes, we need this thread very bad...I still don't know alot about this game..

(Good to see everyone again!)
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Ah! Okay my hungry little HL2 hippos, here's the skinny: Half-Life 2 will be the greatest damn game ever made.

In case you have ANY doubts about this what-so-ever, then here are some links that should get you salivating:

600MB+ Gameplay and Tech Demo Video @ FilePlanet
    It's a 25 minute long video that is responsible for the soiling of thousands upon thousands of pairs of underwear all across the world, 'nuff said.

Planet Half-Life's Half-Life 2 Section
    They have done an impressive job of compiling lots of links and information about HL2. Due to their admirable dedication to hunting down links and info, there's really no reason to post any more links other than...

The All-Important Google Search: Half-Life 2
    Just in case Planet Half-Life missed anything important.

If you really do your homework, there is plenty of information out there about the game, the characters, the weapons, the engine and just about everything else. Of course, most of the story and some of the weapons are still under wraps. I'm sure Valve will have plenty of surprises up their proverbial sleave.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited June 2003
    Thanks Khaos

is there going to be CS mod you think?
  • edited June 2003
    Thanks for the sticky!

I'm pretty good Lawn, howz you? You're right, JK3 with be great, if JK2 was any indication, and the new sabers make me drool. I'm also looking foward to Knights of the Old Republic. It has one of the same features as JK3. Single, Double, or Twin sabers that you get to build :D If that's not schweet, what is.

Oh, and I was rereading the PCGamer Half Life 2 special, and you know how you always find that invincible wooden door in a game that no matter what you can't get through, it just scorches? In HL2 you can :D
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    IonFizzle said
    Thanks for the sticky!

I'm pretty good Lawn, howz you? You're right, JK3 with be great, if JK2 was any indication, and the new sabers make me drool. I'm also looking foward to Knights of the Old Republic. It has one of the same features as JK3. Single, Double, or Twin sabers that you get to build :D If that's not schweet, what is.

Oh, and I was rereading the PCGamer Half Life 2 special, and you know how you always find that invincible wooden door in a game that no matter what you can't get through, it just scorches? In HL2 you can :D

Jk2 was one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played until they released the 1.04 patch...I hope they don't nueter Jk3 in the same fashion.
    edited June 2003
    Rot Katze said
    Thanks Khaos

is there going to be CS mod you think?
    Well, given that Counter-Strike was bought by Valve and there is an official Counter-Strike sequel in the works known as CS: Condition Zero, I sincerely doubt that the current Counter-Strike team will be working on a mod for Half-Life 2. That said, Half-Life 2 will have excellent support for mods and there is bound to be a tactical shooter mod to come out of all this. I am predicting that it won't be "Counter-Strike", but probably something similar.

THAT said, I think that Valve and the original CS team would be remiss to not base CS: Condition Zero on the Source (HL2) engine. I suspect that the reason for CS:CZ's delay is that it was originally based on the HL engine (Modified Q1), and then Valve decided that CS:CZ would flop if it was released with such a dated engine.
  • PeckersPeckers Sweden
    edited June 2003
    There is a lot of mods already being developed, here is a few;

Citadome
    A deadly virus wipes out an entire city's population. The only way to stop the virus from spreading, was to encase the entire city inside a giant dome. One hundred and fifty years later, motion sensors inside the dome have picked up movement—something is alive inside! A new breed of life has risen from the ruin. You and your team are hired to enter Citadome to find out what it is. The question is, will you and your team get out alive ? Citadome is a single-player survival / horror, which will feed on your fear. Multi-player action will be added to expand on the Citadome concept. Please visit our site to learn more.

Fallen Faith
    A MMORPG built on the Half-Life 2 engine, which takes place in the year 2040, using advanced weapons and technology (such as Plasma Shields, laser guns, energy weapons, laser blades, plasma cannons, etc.) combined with modern architecture. Players will be able to own vehicles, and apartments.

Fall of Sicyon
    This is a single-player RPG modification for Half-Life 2. The game is set in a futuristic city called Sicyon. The game is focused around a Freelancer working in the city (the player). Doing any job that pays well enough, you explore the city—from the modern government plazas to the slums of the city, filled with strip clubs and drug dealers.

Gettysburg
    A modification for Half-Life 2, based on the American Civil War. Pick up your rifle and fight as Infantry, or grab a saber and pistol and lead your men into battle. Do you like riding horses? Take up a position in a Cavalry Unit. Maybe you like big guns—artillery is for you. All of these options are your choice, which you make at the start of your single-player or multi-player game. Play with advanced AI or other online players in the bloodiest war in American history.

HiT-SQUAD
    A realistic, team-based, action modification for Half-Life 2. HiT-SQUAD is based in modern day times. In this MOD, you are a member of an organized crime family. Your family has empowered you to achieve its objectives by any means necessary. You will face off against other players from other crime syndicates in a mob war to control the flow of illegal money.

Midway To Victory
    Midway to Victory promises to put you on the battlefield of WWII in the Pacific Theater. The MOD will feature USMC as well as Japanese Soldiers, ranging from semi-automatic rifles to flamethrowers. Many weapons will be at your disposal to assist you in one goal: to eliminate the enemy by any means necessary.

The Last Great War
    The Last Great War is a MOD for Half-Life 2 which includes every battle of World War II; including Italy, Normandy, The Pacific, and the Russian fronts. The first-ever MOD to include all theaters of WWII

This game will be awesome and the V-source engine seem to be very potent.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    If CS 2 runs off the HL2 engine then there will truly be a successor to the original cs mod. Graphics wise it's just under Doom III but doom 3 is set in a drak atmopshpere. I bet they couldn't pull off large open seens like HL2 seems to be able to. The physics of HL2 is insane. Have you seen the leaked e3 footage? Unbeleivable. That weapon that can pick up and hold objects then shoot them at other things is going to be a personal favorite of mine. I think the only downfall to these newer games that will be coming out are that I will only be able to run them at ****ty resolutions and with all the eye candy turned off. Oh, well maybe in 3 years I'll have a comp that can show me all the goodies that are in thesse games. :) Look forward not backward!
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited June 2003
    The WWII mods certainly pique my interest.

Last Great War seems the most ambitious, though I'm curious as how varied the various armaments for the different countries will be.

In anycase I hope HL2 is more secure against cheating than HL1 was.

I also noticed there is no entries for the French or Polish. If they would hope to include the Polish campaign or the Battle of France they'll need to get this started as well.

The vehicles have me a little worried though. If the vehicles are anything like that HL1 vehicles, they shouldn't waste their time. In the fish tank environment of most FPS games, armoured vehicles would be pretty nerfed. You'd need a map of at least 16 square kilometers or so to get a good tank battle going.

I also don't see anything artillery or anti tank guns. I have a bad feeling that the bazookas/panzerschrecks will be quank weapons that unrealistically will be used for killing other soldiers instead of for their true purpose, destroying enemy tanks (for which you had to get extremely close for any chance of success anyway).
    edited June 2003
    The vehicles have me a little worried though. If the vehicles are anything like that HL1 vehicles, they shouldn't waste their time. In the fish tank environment of most FPS games, armoured vehicles would be pretty nerfed. You'd need a map of at least 16 square kilometers or so to get a good tank battle going.
    You should download the gameplay videos from E3 (I posted a link earlier). You will see that the vehicle support in Half-Life 2 is easily the best and most realistic of any first person shooter to date. The outdoor areas are also VERY large and detailed. I don't suspect any issues with large scale outdoor battles, but only time will tell. The vast majority of the vehicles in HL and all subsequent mods were not vehicles at all, but rather, trains on set paths. Counter-Strike eventually changed that, but the vehicle support was still very poor and buggy. The HL2 vehicles are nothing like that. They are realistic looking, have mounted weapons that are separately controllable, and you can look in directions other than where you're driving the vehicle. Not to mention the vehicle physics look pretty good, and the sense of speed is very good as well.

<hr>

<b>Great new link:</b>
    City-17
    A site dedicated to Half-Life 2 and named after the central location where it is believed that most of the game will take place. Lots of stuff at this site.
  • edited June 2003
    Yeah, the dunebuggy with the Tau Cannon was so incredibly awesome.
  • TBonZTBonZ
    drools over keyboard.

When's the release date for HL2?
    Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    drools over keyboard.

When's the release date for HL2?
    edited June 2003
    September, 2003
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited June 2003
    Holy crap that thing is awesome.....
    This just makes my push for a new PC even more prevalent. I really do hope that CS2 comes out on the Source engine, that would kick major ass..
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    and don't forget DOD 2
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said
    Jk2 was one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played until they released the 1.04 patch...I hope they don't nueter Jk3 in the same fashion. [/B]
    I feel the exact same way.

hl2 is looking really good. It'll be one of the very few games I'll buy this year... unless you all want to chip in and buy me a copy for my birthday!
  • SlickSlick
    walks slowly backwords into the cloak of darkness created by IRC.
    Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    walks slowly backwords into the cloak of darkness created by IRC.
    edited June 2003
    I'm not very excited about JK3, it looks like a lot of the same that we saw in JK2. I mean, I think JK2 was a good game and multiplayer was a lot of fun when I played it right after it came out, but it's been a while... I guess I was just expecting too much from JK3. I was kind of hoping that they would update the entire engine again like they did for JK2. Regardless, the Dark Forces series will always be one of my favorites. Dark Forces rocked back in the day.
    edited June 2003
    New Screens @ PHL

23.jpg

This next one is from the level editor's texture & lighting preview feature, I believe.

28.jpg
  • edited June 2003
    So it seems both Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 are going to be released around the same time. I honestly have no idea which I should buy/play first. Both look like they should kick ass, look like they have engrossing storylines, and are going to have many, many games built of they're engines for at least 5 years after they're released (just look at how long the Quake 3 engine lasted).

This'll be tough. At least if ID chooses to take Microshaft's offer to hold back the PC version of Doom3 until the XBox's, I'd have something else to play in the meantime. In my experience, playing two or more games at the same time really kills the engrossing experience a great storyline offers.
    edited August 2003
    HL2 has been delayed until "Holiday 2003 Season".

HL1 was also delayed.

Good things come to those who wait???? :rolleyes:
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited August 2003
    Gamestop said they are schedualed to get it in FEBURARY 2004 :( !
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Wait..

Short-Media (myself) & IcronticGames (Coaster) will be @ ECTS in London in Thursday and Friday.

We will be meeting Valve and Vivendi.

We will see if I can extract some information and dispel some of the rumours ;) and get some of the myths cleared up :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Counter-Strike has 10,000 servers in the U.S. alone.
    There are 15,000 servers for all of Half-Life.

Does anyone think that Half-Life 2 won't have Counter-Strike?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    Does anyone think that Half-Life 2 won't have Counter-Strike?

We can only hope........

NS
    edited August 2003
    I dunno if this is old news to all of you or not, but CS: Condition Zero will not be based on the Source engine, contrary to my prior speculation. Gabe said something to the effect of, "If we were going to delay CS: CZ that much, then we would probably port it to the Source engine, but we have no plans to go that route."

So, at least for the time being, the Counter-Strike line will be continued using the HL engine. I would anticipate that the inevitable follow-up-to-the-follow-up of CS will be based on the Source engine and will be stand-alone. Counter-Strike is far too valuable a commodity for Valve to continue offering it for free on the new game engine.

All that said, I'm sure there will be a plethora of tactical first-person shooter mods that come out for HL2 long before a version of Source-CS ever hits store shelves. Perhaps a new mod team will crop up and create something that blows CS away... Only time can tell.