deciding which PSU

qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
edited September 2004 in Hardware
just learned I need a new PSU since it can't handle my 3rd hdd that just came in. I noticed with the 350W I have, it doesn't even have enough connectors for power for 3 hdds, a cd burner, dvd rom, floppy and all. how do I know if a PSU will have enough connectors for everything I need? PSU I'm looking at is the Antec TruePower480. thanks. :)

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    my true430 doesn't have enough connectors for that many devices, but that doesn't mean it doesn't put out enough power to handle that many devices. go to radio shack or fry's or something and by a molex splitter. turns one into 2, viola!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2004
    unless it's not a good 350w PS. I wouldn't trust a cheap 350w to power anything newer than a p3
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I have a True 480, my wife has a True 430 and I have Smart 350's in my fold only rigs. For what you want a True 480 or 550 is the best way to go.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I have a VANTEC VAN-520A. It's been great...quiet and runs a NF7-S w/3200+, 9800 Pro,6 hard drives, 7 case fans, and 2 optical drives flawlessly.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited September 2004
    thanks for the replies.

yea, it's just a generic 350W that I got for free with my case. wasn't gonna go up to something as expensive as a NeoPower. I thought there might be splitters for it but wasn't sure, shoulda looked when I went to get another IDE cable. gonna check out some Vantec 520As and TruePower 480W. appreciate it fellas. ;)