p910_vill_str0_rf

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
ok ...I noticed this a while ago so I thought I'd post about it and see if anyone else has noticed something similar.

I am folding 4 clients on this system (xp 2000+ @ 1750) and I am folding these wu's with the following times:

p360_gnra_pf1_Mg - 45:48 per frame - 53.3 points
p361_gnra_pf2_Mg - 45:32 per frame - 53.3 points
p360_gnra_pf1_Mg - 45:27 per frame - 53.3 points
p910_vill_str0_rf - 24:27 per frame - 57.0 points

the wu worth most points is folding almost twice as fast as the others!!! Hope you get some of these too! :fold:

Comments

• ReignReign New York
    edited July 2003
    From a 349... worth 54.60 i get 14 minutes a frame on a AMD XP 1900+... same with all the other high pointers. When it comes to low pointers takes almost twice as long.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Wow I thought I have done some of these before I never got any. I have done some 908s and 909s but no 910s.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    From my current results:

Project --- WU

Guess I got lucky!

Prof
    (That and the fat check I wrote to The Stanford Foundation ;D )
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    man...i dont pay that much attention to what wu's i get...as long as its not a tinker...its all good by me
    edited July 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    man...i dont pay that much attention to what wu's i get...as long as its not a tinker...its all good by me

How can you tell the difference between a tinker & a gromac?

Is there another kind, besides those two?

Why are tinkers considered stinkers?

Prof
    (He's a poet and he don't know it...):tongue:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    Why are you having 4 clients run at the same time on one system?

On my system, Athlon XP2600+ 333FSB @2.25GHz, with just 1 client running, I get with this:
    p361_gnra_pf2_Mg - 11:22 per frame - 53.3 points.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    danball1976 said

On my system, Athlon XP2600+ 333FSB @2.25GHz, with just 1 client running, I get with this:

Dual Xeon goodness i believe. woot%5B1%5D.gif
    With different recieving servers at stanford, if one is down, the rest will fold. Am i right csimon?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Mackanz said
    danball1976 said

Dual Xeon goodness i believe. woot%5B1%5D.gif
    With different recieving servers at stanford, if one is down, the rest will fold. Am i right csimon?
    yes on the dual xeon i fold 4 clients but this system I'm speaking of is my home system.
    also yes again if a server is down I still have something to fold but ...I have dialup so I don't have to send and receive as often that way I always have something folding ...lets say during the night while I'm sleeping a wu or two finishes ...the machine still folds right along but faster!

4clients @ 25%
    3clients @ 33% w/ 1 @ que
    2clients @ 50% w/ 2 @ que
    1client @ 100% w/ 3 @ que

this machine is rarely idle except for last night when I was downloading a few wolfenstein et maps ...anytime I start wolfenstein it takes over the cpu like 100%. :fold:
    edited July 2003
    There are 3 types of WUs: tinkers, gromacs, and genomes. Along with each type of WU they have their own core: core_65, core_78, and core_ca respectfully. Tinkers and gromacs are both apart of the FAH project. Genomes are apart of the Genome@Home project but the client for genomes is the same as FAH. Its the GAH option in setting up the client.

Tinkers use standard loops which its speed is mainly determined by mhz and FPU. Gromacs use optimizations found on the CPU called 3dnow, 3dnow!, SSE, and SSE (altivec for MAC users). These extra optimizations calculate faster than standard loops. Thus the ~30% with some optimzations.

The way they determine the point value of WUs is with a 500mhz celeron whic does not have any pf the above mentioned optimizations. So gromacs w/o the optimizations are close to tinkers comparing points/hour. But when you add the optimizations in the problem, gromacs are far better pointswise.
    edited July 2003
    Thanks, mmonnin. You made it clear enough that even I could understand it!
    :buck:

Prof
    edited July 2003
    Thats my job.:)

And its core_78 not core_7 like I had before. My '8' doesnt work on the alphanumeric section of the keyboard.