What is the "Queue"?

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
What is the purpose of the "queue"?

Does it allow you to download more than one WU at a time? I have a niece with a nice computer, but sporadic internet access. If she could download multiple WU's at one time, we could get a lot more points out of her for Team 93.

How do you use it?

edit: Full disclosure - those points are in MY name!

Prof
(Back To School...):crazy:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Prof,

The queue is a cache for finished wu´s only. Let say if the server stanford is using for your wu is down, it puts it in the queue.

The only way you could get that to crunch faster on a sporadic connection is to fold on multiple instances.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Mackanz said
    Prof,

The queue is a cache for finished wu´s only. Let say if the server stanford is using for your wu is down, it puts it in the queue.

The only way you could get that to crunch faster on a sporadic connection is to fold on multiple instances.

Thanks for the answer - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!:cheers:

How do you run multiple instances?

Prof
    edited July 2003
    Ok,

Download the latest version, put it in a separate cat, name it for eg Folding2. Create the usual shortcut with the flags so you get the gromacs. Go through all the normal steps in the installation, but in the endn when the program asks you which machine it is, make sure you say no 2. Everything else is the same really, 100% and all that.

You need either 2 textconsoles or 1 graphical and 1 text to be able to do this.

You are familiar with the flags, right?

Im on IM if you need help setting it up.

Mac
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    I may try that. She just graduated college, and is home for the summer. It's a long story, but her big problem is that she lives about 4 hours away from me and her old man is too lazy to run a phone jack to her room. One of these days I'm going to make the eight hour round-trip and do it for her. There's a good chance she'll be moving once she gets accepted to graduate school, so I may not have to do it at all.

I appreciate your help!

Prof

PS: Shouldn't you be sleeping it off right now? :vimp:
    edited July 2003
    profdlp said

PS: Shouldn't you be sleeping it off right now? :vimp:

I should, Bente gave me a rough time last night wowsers.gif
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    if you have a graphical client running im pretty sure you need to have the -local flag on the other client (the graph client adds your client config to the registry), other than that everthings exactly as Mac sez

[ edit ] right .. no more posting at 4:30 AM ... im "preet" sure that my "clints" will agree :)
    edited July 2003
    true mondi, i forgot about that. Thanks.