Download requests on some threads?

FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
edited June 2003 in Community
I noticed that on some threads (IE threads that Mackanz has posted on), I all of a sudden have a bunch of download windows pop up asking to download mackfinal.swf. I haven't the slightest clue what an .swf file is, or why I'm getting this. I know it has something to do with Mackanz' sig, but that's it. How do I get this to stop, short of turning off sigs?

~FA

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Install Flash and/or Shockwave.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    He is on linux. This is the same thing that other guy was all mad about. That the flash signatures cause linux browsers to go hay wack or something.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    No, I have to say, from time to time this happens to me at home. I use IE6. I agree with Blackhawk, reinstall Flash and Shockwave, that sorts my problem out.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    §lick said
    He is on linux. This is the same thing that other guy was all mad about. That the flash signatures cause linux browsers to go hay wack or something.

They are using browsers without flash support. All browsers need to have both iframe HTML (a perfectly correct HTML tag) and flash support. Almost all browsers do :)

If they aren't using them, then they will have to disable sigs :( Almost no-one has this problem. We can't stop flash sigs altogether for just a handful of members. Il look into making the code more rigorous :)
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Flash pegs one of my CPU's to 100%, and multiple sessions of mozilla will eat both CPU's :(

Noone cares bout us poor linux folk
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    §lick said
    I wish!

Don´t even know how to install the darn thing. Buti want to try it out though.
    Shorty said

They are using browsers without flash support. All browsers need to have both iframe HTML (a perfectly correct HTML tag) and flash support. Almost all browsers do :)

If they aren't using them, then they will have to disable sigs :( Almost no-one has this problem. We can't stop flash sigs altogether for just a handful of members. Il look into making the code more rigorous :)

If my sig create problems, let me know and i´ll ditch it. But it´s nice huh?

Rob said
    Flash pegs one of my CPU's to 100%, and multiple sessions of mozilla will eat both CPU's :(

Noone cares bout us poor linux folk

Does it hog the cpu´s just cause you have Linux? Sounds weird to me.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    IE is around 1-2% when yours is on top. Thats 3 windows open.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    The linux plugin for flash is a monster. Bogs down my dual 1600 MP system :(

When I get on forums with multiple flash images on one page, the browser takes a crap and goes really slow.. Usually, I just disable sigs.

Its something we live with. Support for linux plugins are slim to none, so just having it as a possiblility to even play flash is good enough. Unfortunatly, most webmasters are too dim to toss in a javascript detect and alternate JPG, so its a requirement on some sites. Takes about 10 seconds to code in a detect and alternate image. For a sig, I wouldnt expect it, but for a commercial website, you would be surprized on how many are not navigatable.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Christ on a raft Rob, didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we should start thinking of disabling the flash sigs, i dont know.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Il see if I can put something in that for you Rob. Thanks for the tip. Im not great with javascript and embed tags.. if you have some code you know will work.. PM me it :)

///EDIT/// If it's just javascript.. then I know that will definitely work in the sig field :) ///EndEDIT///
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    Well this happens on IE6. But reinstalling flash seemed to fix it, thanks.:)

~FA
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Bah, don't worry about it. Take it as info, and leave your perty sigs alone. Us linux guys are a tough breed.

And this is not the first time, and im not the first one with this problem. Also, installation is somewhat different in my world
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    That sig of your doesn't even top out 1-3% in Internet Explorer 6 on my machine