How can I get a decent suit inexpensively?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited March 2013 in Style
As I've stated before, I'm in the MBA program. It's a bad situation because I'm still a poor college student, but I'm expected to dress professionally for many events. :banghead: That being said, I need a business suit. Does anyone know where I can find a well-made suit for a really good price?

Thrift shops and secondhand stores never have my size... I'm 5'10" and 130 lbs... very narrow. I wear 30-32 pants and nobody ever sells a used suit with my waist size. Nor would I really want to wear some used pants... :hair:

Currently, the best deal I can find is $100 at K&G Men's Warehouse for a new 2-piece suit. Any better deals out there?

link to that deal: http://www.kgmens.com/mens/details/index.cfm?ItemID=229#

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    thats a pretty good price for a suit, assuming its not buttass ugly
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    What I do is not a suit-- decent blazer plus decent slacks. If you want to work for EDS or IBM, then possibly a suit will be needed. But a decent blazer and a couple pairs of slacks would do. That gets rid of the fees for taking pants in to fit coat right with a suit.

Did that as a student, do that today in business meetings and no problems at all with missed expectations getting in the way of a career.

That also lets you spread out your clothing expenses a bit if you have dress slacks. Buy blazer now. Slacks in addition later if needed.

Maybe look at budget clothing strategies in the old book "Dress For Success," which more conservative firms still use to show folks coming in what to look for. Note they talk about a power suit, but not for every day wear at work.

But that is a good suit price if decent looking.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Man, if you lived near me I would have the perfect suit for you. I am 5'11" 138lbs

I had to always wear a blazer, slacks, ties, shoes, etc for all of my DECA competitions in high school. My friend had a blazer and I bought pants to match it and it worked every time.

Try out JC Penny at your mall, and look at the CITY STREETS collection, their pretty cheap, that's what I had.

Also $100 isn't bad at all, you will get the wear out of it.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    Penny's is good for affordable, decent looking clothing. Also, the blazer/slacks combo is a good one, goes almost anywhere. Hell, many employer's are impressed if you:

1. Wear a tie
    2. Wear a jacket, any jacket (with a long sleeved shirt, NEVER short sleeves w. a jacket)

My current boss looks for cuffs on a pants. Seems dumb, but that's his thing. If your budget can handle it, get the Class A Dockers. They have the cuffs, are a better fit, and just look a little dressier.

Bear in mind, my uniform of choice is shorts, t shirt, barefoot (jeans, tshirt, flannel, and slippers in winter), but I do the corporate costume 32 hours a week (Friday is "casual Friday", whatevah).

A $100 suit, if decently stylish (not lime green) is a good buy. Take a female with you, they know what looks good and what doesn't.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    alright...when it comes to suits..lets face it...ull always need one...whether it be formal events or what not....so myy best advice is buy an expensive one now...ur done growing...ur not working out or thinking about getting bigger any time soon (presumably) so this suit can last u easily...5-6 years...so why not go to today's man...or the mens warehouse and pick out a nice suit...i was able to get a nice one for no more than 200 bucks...and that was back in junior year...i still use the suit till this day and im a sophmore in college...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    um....... need to go back to sleep, I thought you asked "How can I get a decent slut inexpensively?"....

night night :p

NS
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said
    um....... need to go back to sleep, I thought you asked "How can I get a decent slut inexpensively?"....

NS

That was funny!!!!!

if you have an answer to that I would love to hear it:thumbsup:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said

NS

haha, please let me know also :thumbsup: I'll be saving up some of my pay checks until then :ninja:
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2003
    Lets not forget the obvious...steal it!