What is Icrontic?

2»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    That quote rom DJ makes very good sense.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Props to Quack on a good quote.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited January 2004
    That two weeks without S-M or Icrontic really sucked. I got a life outside of this place, a good one, but I used to just read Icrontic top to bottom. Then one day, POOF, gone.

I felt like a refugee, or a fugitive, stopping back now and then to see if any of my comrades had tried to make contact. Finally, word came thru the underground that we were gathering at Kanez' site.

We arrived, one by one, bedraggled and haggard. When I walked in, Prime was in the corner with Shorty, a set of crudely drawn plans in his hands, huddled together, murmuring, the only word I could make out...."Revenge".

Thrax was sprawled atop an ammo crate, smoking a well deserved cigarette, his young face told a story that no man could bear to repeat. General Keebler, he was back at HQ, coordinating our movements. They were dark days, days when we thought the fire of the resistance would go out.

But, go out they did not. Prime, Mediaman, Shorty, they were the ones, those brave soldiers of yore, who led us out of the smoking ruins of our despair, led us on to smite our enemies, to drive them before us, to hear the lamentations of their women, onward ONWARD ONWARD TO SWEET GLORIOUS GLORY!!! Victory was ours, our foes vanguished, we returned to the lands of our fathers, to bask in the glory of our deeds. :usflag: :ukflag: :usflag: :ukflag: :Rocker: :respect: :bs: :bs: :bs:

And then someone said "I'd hit it", and the whole thing felt shallow. So I drank a Fresca and went to bed. ;D
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited January 2004
    lol
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, what CaffeineMe said. Except the word wasn't "revenge" it was... "babe thread"... You must have misheard us. Maybe we mumbled too quietly....
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited January 2004
    CaffeineMe wrote:
    And then someone said "I'd hit it", and the whole thing felt shallow.

speaking of which..... are any of those pics still around?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2004
    I used to love Icrontic as well, When it died it was like loosing the TV and the central heating at the same time. I think it was an email from prime that got me to Addaboy and the rest is a history that'll be sung about around camp fires for generations. I'm glad to be here, but at my age I'm glad to be anywhere.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited January 2004
    It was about three years ago that I stumbled across Icrontic. I had just bought a KT7A-Raid and to find Icrontic was like finding a goldmine of information. And it was free. Icrontic was a repository of tweaks, guides and members who could solve any problem. There are still a few members here that pre-date even me.

Icrontic was on the leading and bleeding edge of information and along with that came a volatile forum. It was prone to a major hissy fit every 3 months. At times it became childish. I miss a lot of the Icrontic members I knew back then and wish they would participate here more often.

Icrontic got hacked. The site was destroyed. It was unrecoverable.

Mortin indeed lost interest. He had other priorities in his life of which are completely understandable but for many years he gave thousands a home out of his own pocket. We continue that tradition here and, someday, someone will continue that tradition when I move on.

I would feel disrespectful if I did not say thank you for what he did as he gave me the opportunity to continue to have the home evolve. Prime, Shorty and myself have merely put up the walls and shingled the roof. It is our staff and you guys that make this place what it is and will be.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited January 2004
    Nice to hear comments on the old site. I read the amdb.com thread (24 pages, took a while) and wanted to know more about icrontic and also bart. I'm missing him without ever even known him so he must have been great.

BTW there was some saying that when ic went under it wasn't properly backed up. Is this site backed up properly just in case something like this would happen again and does it have good protection against hackers. I know that there isn't a foolproof way of guarding against hackers but it seems that ic didn't have such good protection or i'm i mistaken and the hacker was really good.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    BTW there was some saying that when ic went under it wasn't properly backed up. Is this site backed up properly just in case something like this would happen again and does it have good protection against hackers. I know that there isn't a foolproof way of guarding against hackers but it seems that ic didn't have such good protection or i'm i mistaken and the hacker was really good

Eyes Only, this should answer your question.

S-M stability plan

S-M Back Up DVD Burner
    edited January 2004
    Oh yeah. That's where I come in. It's my job to make sure that the "icrontic affair" never happens again. We're almost "too" redundant.. :D
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited January 2004
    Jimborae wrote:
    Eyes Only, this should answer your question.

S-M stability plan

S-M Back Up DVD Burner

Yea that does answer my question. I feel calm now knowing that what happened to icrontic wont happen to s-m.

As for redundancy there might be an upper limit to it but i don't think that it has been reached yet. Would anyone want to send me some discs just in case. :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Short-Media employs several backup schemes. First, the server that hosts S-M uses a sophisticated system of redundancies. Multiple PSUs are employed, as well as a RAID 5 array. Just to make sure things are safe, there are 27 machines located around the country in bomb-proof data centers that mirror the content of the main server.

Second, the entire site is tarred and gzipped, the database is dumped, and the whole mess is backed up to a DVD 3 times an hour. Next, each DVD is duplicated 14 times and shipped to various secure vaults around the country.

Finally, there are over 500 scribes employed to copy each post by hand onto acid-free paper that has a shelf life of over 100 years. This is to combat any hardware obsolescence and possible EMP attacks that render electronics useless.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    wow, WTF, S-M Rules, hehehe
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited January 2004
    Mr. Kwitko obviously forgot that each piece of paper is then photographed with the negatives being stored in a safety deposit box and every day one of the DVDs is sent to Fort Knox.
    edited January 2004
    And the data is teleported to the moon, where it is etched in stone. The stone on the moon, lacking air and thus erosion, has a "shelf life" of approximately 200,000 years. We expect the human race to be extinct by then, so we feel appropriately safe.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited January 2004
    Mr. Kwitko and a2jfreak both neglected to mention the last line of defence that the server has, tut tut.

Shorty, Prime and MM have worked out a rota for standing guard over the actual server, they have at their disposal more weapons than a mafia wedding :D
    edited January 2004
    Red Dawn wrote:
    Shorty, Prime and MM have worked out a rota for standing guard over the actual server...

What actual server? We have many hundreds of redundant servers.....
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    ...In 27 data centers! :thumbsup:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Ok, now you're just milking it....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    So.....Where's the duct tape come in?

Or better yet, where _doesn't_ it come in? ;)