production slowdown

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
I think my sister smoked one of the CPU's in the dual MP2000 rig. She called me this afternoon to let me know her computer would only stay on for 5-30 minutes, and at first I thought it was a thermal issue, but all her fans are spinning and there's no dust in the heatsinks. I had her feel the CPU hsf's and she reported that one was fairly warm and the other was cold. Anyway, my production is going to suck until I get that taken care of.

-drasnor :fold:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Don't you hate it when something like that happens?!!

Sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck on a speedy replacement - I admire the fact that you thought of the impact on your Folding first!

:fold::fold::thumbsup:

Prof
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    :banghead:
    The worst part is, I have to leave a computer for her to use, and right now I have only one aside from my primary desktop (fat chance she's getting that) that could be considered "user-friendly", my IBM PC300GL. I rather like that machine, and if she screws it up I'm going to be very angry.

The IBM is the product of a good deal of time, labor, and money on my part. i430VX chipset, 64MB of PC100 operating at PC66, Pentium 233MMX processor, Soundblaster AWE64 gold, PNY GeForce FX 5200 PCI, DVD-ROM+CD-RW combo drive, dual boots between Redhat Linux 9 and Windows 98SE. Gets 1000 or so 3d Marks (01 SE). Stable like a rock. Best of all, its got the true IBM blue highlights on the case.

If you couldn't tell, I like that computer a lot.

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Ouch, that sucks. Sorry to hear the news.:(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    How did it get smoked?

Prof
    edited July 2003
    Your guess is as good as mine. I'm fairly certain it runs 24/7, but that's no excuse for a CPU to die after less than a year.
    edited July 2003
    Turns out the CPU is fine, my sister just doesn't know what to look for when cleaning a computer. As I suspected, the fins on the heatsink were clogged with dust bunnies, which she failed to clean out, even though I told her exactly what to look for over the phone. It's a wonderful feeling when you check the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS and find that both CPU's are operating at 79 C.

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    drasnor said
    CPU's are operating at 79 C.

:eek: Glad there was no damage drasnor, fold on!:)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    drasnor said
    It's a wonderful feeling when you check the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS and find that both CPU's are operating at 79 C.

Ouch. With that kind of temps you want to try that guys trick of frying an egg on them ;D
    edited July 2003
    Nothing a pair of Coolermaster HHC-001 copper heatpipe coolers won't fix. Funny thing, that, since Fry's only had one new one and the other was a return. The Fry's employee said that it was returned for being "too loud". Anyway, the previous owner had a T-bred, because the surface of his core is etched onto the underside of the HSF. He had an Athlon XP1800+.

The dually should be back online anytime now.