Overclock a Linksys WRT54G

Comments

• edited April 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    You need to use an older firmware...

No, just use the firmware from http://h.vu.wifi-box.net/wrt54g/
    Hacked firmware version: 2.00.8.1h.wfb
    Direct download link: http://h.vu.wifi-box.net/wrt54g/cust_fw/WRT54G_2.00.8.1h.wfb_WW_wifi-box_15_01_04_code.bin

I use this firmware and have had no problems, the "ping hack" works even has a signel power level slider bard in the adv. wireless settings tab :p
    Also has many many other usefull fetures/addons that didnt come with factory firmware.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Ah, yeah, forgot about that one, I use it too :)
  • edited May 2004
    Thrax wrote:

`/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr 48` is the string to be placed in the WRT54G ping test interface. Place it in, and hit ping. Your signal strength is now double, and you have successfully overclocked your router. Also, go to the advanced section on your WRT54G and enable "Frame burst." This is what netgear and several other 54G providers are calling turbo mode.

;) Enjoy.

When I try this, I get the following message in the Ping window"

Invalid IP Address or Domain Nam

what am I doing wrong? could it be that I have set the router's IP address to 192.168.1.69? I did this, because i just added it onto my present BEFSR41 wired router. Any help would be appreciatted.
  • edited June 2004
    Kilroy wrote:
    When I try this, I get the following message in the Ping window"

Invalid IP Address or Domain Nam

what am I doing wrong? could it be that I have set the router's IP address to 192.168.1.69? I did this, because i just added it onto my present BEFSR41 wired router. Any help would be appreciatted.

I have the same problem. The ip address is 192.168.1.1 and firmware 2.02.7
  • davidmdavidm Sydney, Australia
    edited July 2004
    Hi Dude,

I'm Dave and I'm new around SM. I'm running a Linksys WAG54G with a WPC54G. can any of this help with my equipment?

D :)
  • edited August 2004
    I downloaded the firmware on my linux box and am looking for where to inject/modify the code to increase my signal strength. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Thrax wrote:
    You can go up to 84, but that provides unstable connections. Max realistic is 68. Prepare to mod your router for that.

You have to compile a kernel outside on Linux and inject it, but you'd be better off modifying the GPLed code on Linksys's website. SeattleWireless has been working on modding the router's kernel for about 6 months, with only a little bit of success.

With the new power output, it puts it in the upper 30%. That is, 70% or so of existing WAPs have lower mW ratings.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Thrax,
    Any idea if you can do a similar hack with the WRT54GS? Is it even necessary since it comes with "Speedbooster"?
    edited November 2004
    Woke up this morning to find most of the house missing internet. Check the server room to find the Linksys sitting there with nothing other than its power and debug light on. Unplug, plug it back in, nothing, just power and debug. Unplugged everything else from it.... still the same.

I assume it's dead then?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Let it sit offline and powered down for about an hour. I had a similar quirk myself in the spring (Before overclocking) -- and letting it sit around like a slouch solved the problem.
    edited November 2004
    Let it sit for a day, still doesn't work. It's dead.
    edited November 2004
    Guess so. :( Higher than 60mW?
    edited November 2004
    I was using the firmware that let you set it in the options, it had 25% to 85% I believe, it was set to not much more than the default.
  • edited December 2004
    Im sorry for my ignorance but would this mod work on any other linksys and if so which ones (possibly the WCG200)?

Thanx,
    Brandon
  • edited January 2005
    i have

Firmware Version: v2.00.8
    Wifi-box.net Release Version: 2.00.8.1h.wfb 15/01/2004

when i try the ping hack the screen reads:

BusyBox v1.00-pre5 (2004.01.15-01:39+0000) multi-call binary
    Usage: ping [OPTION]... host

What is wrong?? im not very good at computing and i need better range.
    any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited February 2005
    Hm. God, I can't believe I'm about to bump this.

Anyway, the firmware has progressed so much (3.something now) since this came about. Is it even worth downgrading to? The SourceForge one is 2.02, but I dunno if that even makes a difference.

So, feel free to flog me publically if this is stupid. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    I suggest, at this point, to get a copy of Sveasoft's Satori v4 firmware for the WRT54G.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    I suggest, at this point, to get a copy of Sveasoft's Satori v4 firmware for the WRT54G.

Do you have a link to that?

Thanks,
    "g"
  • edited December 2005
    Should I try this? I'm nervous about ruining my moms router but she is always asking me to 'reboot' the router because in her OCD mind rebooting the router makes the signal work.

P.S. You need to fix the firmware link.

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/wrt54g_1412_fw.bin

Is the new link to it.
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Release 9/9/03 WRT54G v1.1 firmware

I have a v1.0 WRT54G, but ran into no problems flashing to this version. :)
    Have you tried the overclock string ?
    `/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr 48`
    Did it seem to work for you?
  • edited May 2007
    hmm router over heat. i think i have this problem without an over clock... my router and dsl modem are on a shelf by their selves a 18 inch by 48 inch shelf about 5 and a half feet from the floor and the router is sometimes dang hot to the touch...

during the spring.. when its been in the 80's in my area my room gets pretty warm.. high 80's to 90's is that too warm.. do i need to go to dollar store and get a mini box fan to set up there??? and i tried that hack and no increase for me unless i did it wrong.. and i updated the firmware right before i did it...

my singal is not stable either it ranges from -25 to -45 db from 11 feet away line of sight.. with a parabolic antenna from techanvil(dot)com it did a better stronger single the day i bought it and turned it on for the first time...... :confused:

I have a stock gateway mx6453 with intel pro wireless and broadcom wireless. and netstumbler running at same time for the scan

and when i move 15 feet away. through a wall it drops to a -36 to -50db range

sorry if im too technical. :smiles:
  • edited June 2008
    Why can't I upgrade firmware ?
    I allways get this message :confused:

untitled.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    Do you get the same error in IE? I had problems flashing a Speedtouch 780 with Opera.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    That's a good point. I had difficulty using Firefox. Never had a problem with IE, 6 or 7.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    I've used firefox for two routers. A WRT64GX4 and a Gigafast 3R100. Never had a problem.
    edited June 2008
    Okay, so this post is <b>five years</b> out of date. That's problem #1.

Download the Tomato firmware, read their wiki on how to flash a WRT54GL with it, and then change the Transmit Power under ADVANCED -> Wireless to 55.

Done.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    See? That's why I'm banned too.

Also, know any custom firmware for the WRT54GX4?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2008
    See? That's why I'm banned too.

Also, know any custom firmware for the WRT54GX4?

Nothing currently supports that router.

Here's a list of all the devices supported by dd-wrt.

DD-WRT is another third-party firmware it has more features and higher performance then tomato. (According to smallnetbuilder)
    edited June 2008
    My experiences run counter to what smallnetbuilder claims. With the four versions of DD-WRT I tried (all non-beta), it frequently failed to activate triggered ports, pass traffic through opened ports, or QOS traffic correctly.

The router also reset on its own 2-3 times per day. No such issues with Tomato, the same amount of important features, better QOS and a cleaner UI.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2008
    I've also has much better experience with Tomato, for the past couple of years then DD-WRT, the DD-WRT project has gotten to big and bloated, they cram to much onto the stock routers and max them out. That's why they frequently seem to crash, they run out of memory on operations. The tomato firmware on the other hand is built ontop of the actuall WRT54g kernels and runs much leaner and closer to home. It's just been my experience, and most others that I know who've switched from DD-WRT to tomato that it runs better.
  • edited July 2008
    Greetings! This is my first time here since I was looking at increasing a bit the range of our older router here (v1.1 WRT54G). It already has the 7dB antenna from Linksys but I need a bit more (just a bit), can I put in a value lower than 48 in the pinghack, something like 32?

TIA