1.2ghz temp question

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i currently have an AMD athlon running on an AMD XP hsf..and my temp for full load is 57...is that too much? (i run folding on it 24/7...so its almost always at 57) if this is horrible...can i get sum suggestions...

Comments

• Superducky55Superducky55 Michigan
    edited June 2003
    Upgrading from the stock cooler isn't entirely necessary, but it's usually a good idea. At temps ranging just a little higher than what you are at right now, the system can become unstable at times (do you experience lockups?)
    You could get a better heatsink, i'd recommend the thermalright line (sk7 and up) or vantec aeroflow or similar.
    Probably an easier (and cheaper :)) solution would be to re-vamp your case cooling.. Cutting out your fans' pre-stamped grills from the case (with dremel or holesaw or similar) usually dramatically increases airflow (and lowers noise too) which results in better cooling.
    Also, be sure that the heatsink is mounted correctly, as this is often the problem of high temperatures. If you'd like to see just a minor improvement of temps on the cheap, clean off the included thermalpad or grease (rubbing alcohol works well) and use something like AS3 or shin-etsu g751 or similar..
    :)

If you arent experiencing instability and you don't care to overclock or have high temps, i suppose it's not entirely necessary to do anything.. The stock cooler does it's job, it just doesn't do it as well as the aftermarket.. :)

Hope this helps ya, cya round
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    As long as their is no instablility, then 57 is fine. IC16-UK is always around the 55 - 58 mark, never has the slightest problem.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I think a good dusting, some new AS3, and better airflow will drop the temps a bit.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    my case is at like...phhh...40ish...so i dont really think that dusting and extra fans will do too much seeings how i already have an extra case fan... as for lockups...i really dont know...its just a folding rig that i have in the corner :)
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    My 1.2mhz tbird runs anywhere from 56 to 61 celcius at full load depending on the temp outside. It runs stable. I only have problems when my motherboard reaches the 43 celcius mark then I get reboots.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    40C, thats almost as warm as my CPU under load.