test my psu how?

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited December 2004 in Hardware
okay i have an antec truepower 430 watt. what are a few good programs to really test it; im concerned because i suspect that the voltage is varying... when i run cpu-z the core voltage will jump between 1.728 - 1.744 - 1.760 etc.

and right now the system is not even stressed afaik, i don't have it highly OCed or anything at the moment.

thanks!

Comments

• MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited December 2004
    *edit* crap did i post this in the FS section by accident? i do that a lot, sorry
  • edited December 2004
    The core voltage is not something that your PSU causes to jump around, it is regulated by your mobo from the power lines coming from your PSU, the voltages your PSU puts out you should watch are 3.3v, 5v, 5vsb and 12v although 5vsb isn't a big one to really worry about.
    If they are within 3-5% of their rated voltages (either over or under) and fairly steady then I wouldn't really worry too much although a bit of fluctuation up and down by .01 v is often common it's not really anything to be alarmed about.
    What are your rail voltages now? The voltages I listed above are the rail voltages.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2004
    Mizugori wrote:
    okay i have an antec truepower 430 watt. what are a few good programs to really test it; im concerned because i suspect that the voltage is varying... when i run cpu-z the core voltage will jump between 1.728 - 1.744 - 1.760 etc.

and right now the system is not even stressed afaik, i don't have it highly OCed or anything at the moment.

thanks!
    core is cpu voltage thats controled in bios
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited December 2004
    I suggest you don't trust programs too much cause they tend to be very imprecise. A multimeter is the best way to test you voltages.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited December 2004
    Put your tounge on it.........

well you wont be able to test voltage to well but you will know if its working..

LOL.
    but really, bet a Multimeter, As NoFurutre says programs are wishy washy,
    they will give you different readings, each time most of the time...
    a multimeter you can change the settings to get a much better reading adn it will stay the same each time, unless the power supply is no good.