Prescott's Roasting On An Open Fire

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited December 2004 in Hardware
Roughly 3-4 days ago, I setup my Intel Purchase Program (IPP) system as another dedicated SETI Cruncher.

Now, this was my first venture into LGA 775 country, and as such have never installed a heatsink on that platform. Using AS5 and the edge of a business card, I carefully smeared the festive silver goo around the CPU heat spreader.

The system gets together, and I boot into the BIOS to check the system temperatures (both CPU & the "Thermal Zones"). All is normal (CPU @ 54*C Idle, System Temps are 27*C and 29*C).

I install WinXP Pro SP2 and get the system crunching SETI. Figured it was time to overclock slightly (damned Intel boards only let you go 4% above nominal). I crank it up from 3400 MHz to 3600 MHz (roughly), reboot and check the BIOS for temps again. The surprise I got is below.

I cracked open the case and check for airflow and heatsink temperature, but no changes occured. I'm thinking it's either a screwed up BIOS or else the board's sensors are ****ed, because this is what I found:

HOLY (#*&$(*&, I knew Prescott's ran hot, but holy crap.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2004
    you OC'd your sensors, hehe
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2004
    WOW I would rma that board ;D .
    Btw is zone 2 outside of your house by anychance :p .

Anything over 90C isnt possable on a presscott unless the throttleback on the chip is somehow defective or the cooler removed ;D

Btw I just remembered this now intel said something about there boards temps showing up wrong in there tool and there bios for there socket T boards. If thats a offical intel board that could be why.They said they were working on a solution.
    I remember seeing a link on toms hardware i shall try to find it again and post if i do :scratch:
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2004
    Kewl.

I flashed the latest BIOS onto the board (0022 - whatever that means) and it hasn't helped at all. Still the same readings.

The funny thing? Zone 1 & Zone 2 are right next to eachother on the board.

I've got room temp @ roughly 15*C right now (open window in the dead of winter), so at least one of those sensors are close to right :)

//Edit: @ GrayFox: Nice shiny new A64 you have there :)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2004
    I want to know where I can get the fan doing 9000 rpm.. and how loud is that...

Did you hook a vaccum clean to it for airflow???

is the sensor touching the heater itself... errr is it touching the processor...??
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    At 9000 RPMs, only thing that would not sound something like a Banshee that I know of is a 92 mm Hydroflow bearing Panaflo ultra-high speed and flow fan.... And it would be some noisy also.

FUHHY thing is that if the thing is OC'd MAYBE you are getting processor and zone one tossed high, and CPU fan. Only things I can think of to check, is one each of a calibrated thermal probe and calbrated laser RPM meter to check fan speed.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2004
    Turns out the culpret was a faulty Intel Desktop Control Center installation. I'm thinking the SMBIOS driver install screwed with the readings and somehow wrote them to the BIOS, because when I uninstalled the IDCC and installed the Intel Hardware Monitoring program, all temperature & fan speed measurements returned back to normal.

Wierd.

Just another reason to hate Intel boards. You can't even clear the damned CMOS on this board. The jumper is physically missing. :confused:

As for the 9000 RPM fan, there is no such beast installed in that system. It's just the regular Intel Boxed Prescott Cooler & default fan, which spins I think @ 3100 RPM.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    I was wondering about that 9k as well. I thought 7k was loud! :eek:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    The BIOS reset might require a screwdriver to short the contacts; there were some Asus boards back in the day that allowed you to clear the CMOS, but only if you were 1337 enough to think of doing it with a screwdriver.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    I turn my computers on all the time with any piece of metal I can find. Screwdrivers, scews, scissors, paperclips. I have a dualie not in a case so thats how it gets turned on all the time.