Team Recruitment/Stats (idle members)

2»

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2004
    sig
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2004
    Thanks and fixed

also transfered the OS to the 100 gig drive

it is running at 39C Solo
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited December 2004
    Camman wrote:
    On a similar note; anybody know why the Windows graphical client cannot run w/ BF1942. if I have folding running and I go into a BF1942 game, it works fine until it actually starts loading the level then it minimizes the game, i try maximizing but it just reset the rez then immediately goes back and minimizes the bf1943 window again, as soon as I nuke the folding client, problem goes away.

try the no-nonsense version
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited December 2004
    :bawling: This is sad. I just did a count of idle members in the last week for our team. According to the stats at EXTREME Overclocking, 83% of our team members have been idle in the last week. Too bad it doesn't show who has been idle in the last 50 days, that would be more accurate, but I happen to think that it would still be close to 75% or higher.

At this rate and with my 3 machines(one running part time), I should be in the Top 100 in no time. :D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited December 2004
    F@H takes some dedication that some people just do not have. Then there are others who stick to it, and will continue to do so. To those that fold, fold on. To those that don't...WTF are you waiting for?
    edited December 2004
    Clutch wrote:
    F@H takes some dedication that some people just do not have. Then there are others who stick to it, and will continue to do so. To those that fold, fold on. To those that don't...WTF are you waiting for?

I agree, F@H does take dedication. It seems that the bottom half of our 1100 or so members are mostly made up of people who do a few WU's and then quit. Interspersed in that bunch are the few newer members that actually are doing WU's. I'm in the 350-400 range and even there, there many idle members. According to the charts at EXTREME Overclocking, I should be nearing the top 100 in about six months if my current WU output continues.

I thought I was going to have an extra folding machine, an Athlon 700, but I turned it on and the PSU let out the proverbial magic smoke :bawling: This thing was running as my main computer as of about 18 months ago, but who knows what happened between now and then. Time to investigate.

As for other idle members, what is up with "t1rhino" :scratch: who is 4th in the listings, but hasn't had any WU since 12-15-04? Either they quit or they've got one slow computer.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    t1rhino lost access to his farm through no fault of his own.
    edited December 2004
    t1rhino lost access to his farm through no fault of his own.

damn! that's horrible. :( How many machines did he have on the farm? Did he lose it all of a sudden? I noticed that in August and September his WU output was phenomenal, then it dropped to a trickle in October. Hope he's able to get back up and running soon, but if not, he's done his fair share, unlike about 2/3 of our members.
  • edited December 2004
    T1's farm consisted of work computers and he had some nimrod asswipe complain about F@H keeping his processor at 100%, so his superiors told him to remove the client from all the machines. :rolleyes: I just hope the buttwipe that complained introduces a company-wide virus into their office and they can his ass. :D

All my folding basically comes from my own personal farm at my house, which I pay to run and build. It must be nice to be able to borg companies like other people have the chance to do, but that is life. I just do what I can to contribute to the project and the team.
    edited December 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    T1's farm consisted of work computers and he had some nimrod asswipe complain about F@H keeping his processor at 100%, so his superiors told him to remove the client from all the machines. :rolleyes: I just hope the buttwipe that complained introduces a company-wide virus into their office and they can his ass. :D

All my folding basically comes from my own personal farm at my house, which I pay to run and build. It must be nice to be able to borg companies like other people have the chance to do, but that is life. I just do what I can to contribute to the project and the team.

I've dealt with buttwipes like that before, but only on a smaller scale. Mostly I dealt with them when I worked at a local computer shop in town. They ran the gamut from the "anti-virus makes my computer run slow," to the "50,000,000 items in the system tray."

Two idiots in particular come to mind. One was a guy that was referred to us by his ISP. I went out to his house and found that he had a major virus infestation. This was in October of 2000. Luckilly I kept updated NAV rescue disks with me and started to disinfect his computer. However, I could have just nuked and paved, but he had "important" information :rolleyes: . After about the third hour the guy started to bitch. I call my boss on the phone and the guy just started a big fat hissy fit. The guy gave the phone back to me and my boss told me to charge the guy the standard rate for one hour and leave. That is exactly what I did. Come to find out, this guy did have anti-virus, but it was from 1997 and had not been updated since the initial installation. The guy also could not fathom how he could get a "virus" and why would anyone send one to him. :shakehead

The other idiot was this old lady that had a "neighbor who knows about computers." :rolleyes: This is also another virus story. She came to us with her computer that had a virus on it that she got from e-mail. We disinfected the computer, installed NAV, updated it, and sent her on her way. Everything was fine for about two months when she came in with the same exact problem and bitching about our products and services all the way. In fact, it was the exact same virus. I wondered, "How could this be possible?" Well, he know-it-all neighbor thought that somehow their ancient 1998 copy of McAffee was superior to the 2001 version of NAV that we installed and thus installed their AV, never bothering to update it. :banghead: Basically we disinfected the computer, left the neighbor's AV on the computer, charged full price for two hours labor, and sent her on her way. :D

Sorry for the long stories, but I hate computer illiterate buttwipes that think they know what they're talking about. I've been running F@H non-stop on three computers for two weeks and not one of them has given me grief. That idiot was probably some guy that read something on the "internet" that said if your processor is running at 100%, very bad things could happen. An ignorant... no stupid buttwipe like that is just the classic example of who would introduce a virus into the system.

---I found T1's story from October and what a bummer. :bawling:
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited December 2004
    At this rate and with my 3 machines(one running part time), I should be in the Top 100 in no time. :D

I should be at about rank position 99 in 200 days. (It will soon be summer)
    I'll let you know what it's like just to prepare you :p;D
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2004
    I would say that idle members don't currently help, but at one point they did contribute to the overall success of the team. Whether that be in small or large quantities, the fact remains that the help was there at one time and they should not so easily be dismissed.

Why don't I put my 20 GHz towards Folding@Home anymore? Call it a change of direction & a change of interest. The main thing is that these systems are being used for distributed computing, just in an area that more suits my current tastes.

Best of luck Team 93.
  • edited December 2004
    SimGuy wrote:
    I would say that idle members don't currently help, but at one point they did contribute to the overall success of the team. Whether that be in small or large quantities, the fact remains that the help was there at one time and they should not so easily be dismissed.

Why don't I put my 20 GHz towards Folding@Home anymore? Call it a change of direction & a change of interest. The main thing is that these systems are being used for distributed computing, just in an area that more suits my current tastes.

Best of luck Team 93.

Yeah, their contributions are appreciated, but it would be nice if they were still interested in this project, as I feel it shows much more potential benefit to humanity than looking for ET or hunting for prime numbers or cracking encryptions, but that's just me. :) (No, I'm not knocking you for looking for ET, SimGuy! :p ).

I do know that some former team members never made the transition from the old Team Icrontic to here when Icrontic got hacked to death and Team 93 became Short Media. Plus, there were some issues on the inequities of points in the past that Stanford handled pretty badly, to be frank about it. Plus there were (and still are at times) severe server problems that might have turned people off to this project. Hopefully though, most of the bad issues are behind us and it seems like this last year or so that Stanford has wised up to giving better response from input from us folders and they've also upgraded the server hardware considerably too, for more reliability.
    edited December 2004
    Gareth wrote:
    I should be at about rank position 99 in 200 days. (It will soon be summer)
    I'll let you know what it's like just to prepare you :p;D

One of the machines on my "farm" is actually one I sold to my parents for them to use, so basically it is theirs. They don't mind having F@H on, but the problem is them keeping the computer on. It is one of the machines that I have a 600 pointer on, but I've decided to let it do the smaller WU's in the future. They are on broadband and I have RealVNC running on their comp so I can check progress. 2/3 of the time, even during the day, the thing is not on. They have the habit of turn computer on, write and send e-mail, turn computer off, twenty times a day. So, one machine in my farm will not be as reliable as I thought.

Howver, I did a parts inventory and I do have enough parts to start on three machines.

Athlon 700- needs case/PSU

Athlon 1000 Tbird- needs mainboard, case, PSU

Athlon 64 S-754- before I bought my board I am using now, a DFI LanpartyUT NF3 250GB, I had bought an Epox 8KDA3J. It still works, but it had a bios problem where "Cool n' Quit" could not be disabled properly and caused major problems. I keep checking to see if there are any BIOS updates to fix the problem. (needs CPU, RAM, case, PSU)

BTW- Simguy, I used to do Seti@Home and I had quite a few WU's for the machines I was using. Personally, I think F@H is a more noble cause than searching for space aliens. Let's see, have my computers working on a cure for Alzheimer's or listening to space static? What would I choose?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    Bah, who needs a case. My dualie doesnt have one.
    edited December 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Bah, who needs a case. My dualie doesnt have one.

I've thought of that before, but I'd have to re-arrange things a bit in the room where my machines are. If the board I had, which is an Epox 8KDA3J had onboard video, a wall mount would be way cool, complete with neon accents and all :mullet: .

The extra case that I have is one I bought when I upgraded from an AT case to my first ATX case. The problem with it is the only place to mount rear fans is above where the PSU sits. The case is pretty tall. With the problems I've been having keeping my current Athlon 64 cool, with a case that has the proper fan locations, I don't know if that old case of mine would work very well.

However, I might start looking up wall mounting ideas. :cool:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    Mine just sits on top of a cardboard box.
    edited January 2005
    Consider building a wooden rack-mount unit to house the different systems you don't want (or need) a case for.

Go for the gold.... set up a Yattamonster (or in this case... the STOMP Monster & Crunchy Hog)...
  • edited January 2005
    Wow, impressive rack there simguy. It's much more organized than the mess I have set up that's similar to that. Plus I have only 11 computers in the casa. You sure you want all that going to SETI instead of folding? What are the specs of each mobo/cpu?
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited January 2005
    Hooooly... those are all yours SimGuy? :eek: And not Folding :(;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I don't think SimGuy is from OC HQ UK ;)
  • edited January 2005
    OMG what a tease. :rolleyes:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited January 2005
    Ah, right ... well I didn't ... wasn't ... d'oh >_<. Either way that's impressive :thumbsup:
    edited January 2005
    No way. They aren't mine (but I'd love to own one or two some day).

Just some ideas for how to efficiently organize the stacks themselves for those who don't want to shell out the cash for a case for each system they build.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I live about 10 mins drive away from OcUK. You reckon I could sneak to the business park one night and do one with their stomp monster?? ;D

~Cyrix