Dial-Up Connection Issues

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited January 2005 in Science & Tech
I got a question for the brains of short-media...

My Problem: I have a Windows 98se gateway computer that I restored from CD and the modem will connect and sends a quick burst of data(starts to load homepage) but then stops and disconnects.

What I Have Tried: So far I have tried re-installing the modem, un-installing the network components(and having windows re-installed them when I create a new dial-up connection), trying a new external usb modem(same deal with this one too), double checked my network settings, and I am still having the same problem.

BTW, there is some unknown component in device manager that restore cd didn't have a driver for and I have no idea what it would be or if its related to this.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    "Restored" as in a restore disc or installed after a format?
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited January 2005
    formated and then restored (twice now)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    How about trying a normal 98SE disc? Is the restore disc from that computer?
    edited January 2005
    yea, its for that computer. It essentially is a standard windows install. (boot from floppy and go to setup on cd) Then once windows is installed, stick the gateway cds in there and install their drivers and software once you are in windows.
    edited January 2005
    Hmm. Bad cable? Can you connect on another computer?
    edited January 2005
    Connection is fine and has worked on several other computers
    edited January 2005
    Well I'm stumped. It's not the modem or the os and it works on another computer. Other than the possibility of that thing in device manager that's not installed, only other hardware I could think of is the board but that seems unlikely to me.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2005

What I Have Tried: So far I have tried re-installing the modem, un-installing the network components(and having windows re-installed them when I create a new dial-up connection)

Go into the network components, and only remove dial up networking, then install only dial up networking again. I don't know if you have tried that because you said you un-installed network components. I don't think whatever it is in device manager that is not installed would be the problem, if you have tried a different modem either.

Is your phone line coming out of the modem going into a surge protector? If so, then go directly into the phone jack.

If you are already going directly into the phone jack then try a new phone cord.

Also, what speed do you connect at?

About how long can you stay connected before it cuts off?
    edited January 2005
    Well, I think I kinda sorta found the problem. The line I was using went through a DSL filter, but I have used that line countless times on other computers and never had a problem.

So in frustration I passed the computer along to my boss and he plugged it into his phone line which is an analog line and it connected and stay connected. (along with transfering data) It doesn't add up to make sense, but it seems to work. As long as whoevers computer it is can connect, i am happy :D

On a side note, I did try only re-installing the dial-up components.

Thanks for input guys.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2005
    I have heard that if you do try to connect through a DSL filter it will fry the modem. We try to tell this to all of our DSL customers before they leave the office. I actually had one customer who connected and it killed her modem, and her phone lines. The phone company had to go and reset her line.