Overclock upgrade (cpu/mb)

JAZJAZ UK
edited August 2003 in Hardware
Im looking at a pretty cheap upgrade for my computer (motherboard/cpu)

I want a system I can push the FSB to a great speed with, I have 512mb of Corsair 256MB DDR XMS3700 Platinum memory so Im hoping thats a good basis to build a fast system on.
I dont want to spend loads of money so Im looking to buy either a Barton xp2500 or I saw a xp1800 (AIWGA 0322RPMW DLT3C) so which would you recommend?
I have an SLK800 and a 45cfm fan so Im sure my cooling is upto the task of pushing the chip (I want over 2ghz, pref 2.2+)

As for motherboard I've allways used and trusted Abit boards so unless theres a good reason to switch to another company I'd like to stick to an Abit.
I like the look of the Abit NF7 v2.0 nForce2 (I see theres also a NF7-S, is the only difference serial ATA? if so I cant see its worth paying £20 extra for)

Is there any others that are better or anything just to be released thats worth waiting for (KT600 is out here next week)
The only thing that annoys me a bit about the Abit is it only has 2 ide ports and I could do with 4, I think I saw you could buy a converter for the sata version but then that would cost me £20 extra for the sata version then £15 for the converter, how cheap are pci raid cards and where could I get one and which would you recommend.
If they cost loads Im sure I could cope with just two hard drives though, and if the XP1800 is a decent stepping that will do 2.2ghz (or there abouts) I could use the money saved over the Barton to buy the NF7-S.

Thanks
JAZ

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The Abit NF-7 2.0 is without a doubt the best Amd board available now. Couple that with either of those cpu´s and you have a winner. However, if you want to see fsb over 240 stable, 512 sticks of memory is a no-go unfortunatly. Reason is that 512 sticks are much tougher for the board to handle in terms of power to the memory controller of the board. That´s a chipset limitation and not a limitation on Abit.

What Amd setups benefit the most from is low memory timings and sometimes it can be a lot better to run at 210 fsb at tight timings rather than 220 at slappy timings.

What is the rated timings on that stick you have?

Out of the box without modifications on that board, i´m sure it does 215-220fsb. However, if you put a heatsink on the northbridge with a better fan instead of using the one it comes with, you might see more.

The SATA drives are MUCH faster in everyday use than the standard ATA drives, i just threw a raptor in and boy, what a difference it is! Much snappier day-to-day usage.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited August 2003
    You should get the NF7-S version, maybe you don't need sata right now but you never now. For the cpu, I recommend the 2500+, it maybe a bit more expensive, but with good steppings, I've seen lots of people get 2.3-2.4 with good air cooling...

Have fun :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    You're using a 10krpm raptor drive, which is close enough to SCSI U320 Jr.

The 7.2krpm SATA drives are no better or worse than the 7.2krpm PATA drives...Except it IS really nice to hook up with SATA cables.
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited August 2003
    Mackanz said

What is the rated timings on that stick you have?

Out of the box without modifications on that board, i´m sure it does 215-220fsb. However, if you put a heatsink on the northbridge with a better fan instead of using the one it comes with, you might see more.
    Iirc the stick was rated at that speed cas2 but I dont have the box it came in to hand, I thought that NF7 was the board to get so you have all confirmed what I wanted to hear.
    I think I'll take the non sata version and the XP2500 and hope for a 220+ fsb, my KX7-333 will do 200fsb but my vid card went mental when I tried last time, which was weird because I had a Athlon1000 in it before (after burning a xp1600) and that ran fine at 196fsb, that was before I put the corsair ram in though so I havent really tested the ram yet at any mad speeds (its just running at 166 atm)
    At least I can use the agp lock so my G4 wont hold me back.
    thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Whatever you do, get the S version. Otherwise, you are stuck with only 2 Ide channels which you will regret. You do get 1 pata-sata adapter in the package. That memory is the least that will hold you back. Expect 220 fsb if you put some As3 under the northbridge heatsink. Maybe even better with a Zalmon on it.