Google Launches Video Search Beta

edited January 2005 in Science & Tech
Google took the latest swing in its search scuffle with other heavyweights this week when it launched a beta version of Google Video. The search tool enables users to scour the content of television shows on PBS, the NBA, Fox News and C-SPAN among others.
The Mountain View, Calif.-based company has recorded thousands of hours of programming since it began indexing shows in December. Viewers now can access content by entering a query for words or phrases that are embedded in closed captioning that comes with programs. The results list the programs alongside still images and text from the point where the search phrase was spoken.

So far the service only provides the single framed images with information about the programming. It doesn't allow users to view video on their computers.

"What Google did for the Web, Google Video aims to do for television," Larry Page, Google co-founder and president of products, said in a statement. "This preview release demonstrates how searching television can work today. Users can search the content of TV programs for anything, see relevant thumbnails, and discover where and when to watch matching television programs. We are working with content owners to improve this service by providing additional enhancements such as playback."
Source: Internet News

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    this video search is kinda useless, I read an article on it. The Yahoo video search actually tries to find videos you want, the google one searches through the closed captioning of videos and will tell you when they think it will next air.
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited January 2005
    This may be a silly question, but shouldn't a video search engine be able to run similar to any search if the code searched for only video file extentions?
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    well, it's supposed to search the content of the video, not just the file extension (in the case of the Yahoo Video search), like whats actually in the video.

The google one apparently is going to search the closed captioning of TV shows to tell you when they're next on or something, I read it in an article, sounds lame, the Yahoo Video Search is pretty cool though, I use it.