Custom PC Build

edited January 2005 in Hardware
Sorry if this is in the wrong discussion (mods please move it if it is.)

I dont care about price.

But I want to know the best hardware/graphics cards and everything else to be put into a computer to make it the best.

I guess I could just buy alienware.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Let's start with when are you going to buy this and how much money do you have?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2005
    but.... he said price wasnt a factor and thats the first thing you asked? (grin)

Tex
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    sobaro wrote:
    I guess I could just buy alienware.

Not if you really want the best.

Are you planning on building this yourself? Have you built a PC before? Believe me, it's really scary when you press the power button and then smell smoke.
  • edited January 2005
    I think the priciest right now is the ATI Radeon 850 XT...? Or is it the GeForce Ultra 6800?

One of those two. They're way above what I make in a month.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited January 2005
    Go with custom build, unless you dont feel comfortable with even opening up a computer, then go with a trusted retailer that has what you want in the machince.

Good luck :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2005
    Price is no object eh? If it were me I'd get the biggest baddest 939 FX chip out and available, an nForce 4 SLI mobo, 2x GF 6 6800U's, 4 gigs (4x1gig) of PC3200 or 2 gigs (4x512mb) of PC3200 ultra low latency ram based on the new Samsung chips, a 600w PSU from a quality supplier, 16x dual layer Plextor DVD-+RW drive, Plextor 52x CDRW drive, a big aluminium case, 2x400Gig IBM Deskstars and a killer water cooling setup.

I know there are some small items I'm leaving out but those are the basis for a killer system and I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with anthing that could beat it without being overclocked and the overclocked part is why I suggest water cooling.
  • edited January 2005
    im going with a trusted retailer and not buying my comp myself.

I just want to know the right parts like mobo, graphics, video. I have about 3000 dollars and want the best gaming stuff.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2005
    You won't get the best gaming "stuff" for $3k, and you won't get it from a "trusted" retailer. You might as well buy a Dell and go home.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2005
    Good God I can build one H*ll of a machine for 3 grand? Thats plenty for most any normal gamer. It won't build some phase cooled box but plenty for any HIGH end game box.

Tex
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2005
    He said "best". Best means AFX, 2-4GB of TCCD-chipped RAM, 2-4 HDDs, possibly RAIDed, and SLI 6800 Ultra Extreme Editions. He can't get that for $3k, and certainly not from any retail vendor. Alienware doesn't offer SLI on AMD systems, and Voodoo and Falcon Northwest are out of his price range.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Instead of our tea time friendly spat, why don't we just give him a best-for-$3000 proposal? OK?

Sobaro, a couple more questions please. The builder - what's his shop rate per hour? Will he build you a system of parts that you bring him; or will you have to purchase parts from him? What software will you need? Operating system? Do you already have the software and OS to be installed?

Hey, we can help you here. Many of members here have completed their first home-built computers after learning from other members. If you want the best from either yourself or a custom builder though, we'll have lots of questions. But we are certainly ready to help.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    sobaro wrote:
    im going with a trusted retailer and not buying my comp myself...
    Following up on Leonardo's questions and comments, what is the reason for having someone else build it? If it's for warranty purposes then that's a valid point, though most shops only warranty their labor and insist you go to the manufacturer for hardware problems.

If you have doubts that you can do it yourself I would tell you that with the help you'll get here you can almost certainly build a terrific computer and save the money that goes into labor. My guess would be that if you go into a computer shop with $3,000 to spend you are going to end up blowing 15-25% of that on having them build it for you. An added benefit is that by building it yourself you will be very familiar with all the ins and outs of your computer, making it that much easier for you to keep it running great without relying on the 9-5, M-F support offered by most local shops.

Either way, for three grand you ought to come away with something to be quite proud of. :wave: