PSP Launching March 24

edited February 2005 in Science & Tech
After months of saying the PSP will "probably" launch in March, Sony Computer Entertainment America has finally set the launch date for its entry into the handheld wars.
This morning, the electronics giant announced that its eagerly awaited handheld game system will go on sale in North America on March 24.

While the PSP's ship date fell inside previously announced release parameters, its price was higher than expected. Sony will only sell the PSP as part of a single-SKU "Value Pack" for $249 in the US, CDN$299 in Canada. The new price point is $50 higher than the $199 many industry analysts predicted; that was based on the PSP's Japanese MSRP of 19,800 yen (approximately $185).

Besides the PSP unit itself, the Value Pack will include a 32MB Memory Stick Duo (which usually retails from $24.99 to $39.99 solo), headphones with remote control, a battery pack, AC adapter, soft case and cleaning cloth, and a UMD disc with game-demo movies, and a music and video sampler. As an incentive for early adopters, Sony will include a free UMD copy of the blockbuster superhero film Spider-Man 2 with the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped.
Source: GameSpot

Comments

• MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited February 2005
    I want one, but with the "square button issue" and slow loading times (30 sec to load a race! how dare you!), i dont know if its really worth it...might just get nintendo ds.....
  • edited February 2005
    get a DS sony make enough money with playstations...
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited February 2005
    The only way I'll get the PSP is if Square-Enix decides to put the sequal to FF7 on it, other than that no dice.

GB Color still works awsome for me! :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    The PSP makes the DS look like a joke. If I was in the market for handheld entertainment, I'd buy a PSP in a heartbeat.