IRC Channel

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited June 2003 in Community
We should launch and IRC channel :). Or we could just have like a weekly chat or something.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    §lick said
    We should launch and IRC channel :). Or we could just have like a weekly chat or something.
    I don't think that's likely at all, Slick. Sorry buddy.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Why is it such a bad idea?
    edited June 2003
    §lick said
    Why is it such a bad idea?
    The general consensus is IRC channels have been breeding more bad energy than they are worth. :(
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Keebs is right here. The past has showed what damage it can do to both people and the forum. I like irc personally, but not together with or linked to a forum.
    edited June 2003
    I am an IRC noob anyway. Were you refering to me and DJ-Quack with addaboy radio last night? :D I just though it would be cool to have like a weekly gathering or something.
    edited June 2003
    Not that specifically. Just all the IRC-related incidents in the past (things start here... brew in IRC... and spill over back here again) that we've decided it's not in anyone's best interest. Chat away in IRC if you like, but there will be no site channel.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Actually all the problems have happened cause the channels aren't well modded. If you have a IRC chan and the staff and/or senior members are Op then it would work. Wouldn't hurt to try. Somebody comes looking for a fight then temp ban them for a day. Easy as that.
  • Superducky55Superducky55 Michigan
    edited June 2003
    General Keebler said
    Not that specifically. Just all the IRC-related incidents in the past (things start here... brew in IRC... and spill over back here again) that we've decided it's not in anyone's best interest. Chat away in IRC if you like, but there will be no site channel.
    Very, very wise move :)
    Too many flamewars come out of forum-related IRC chats :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    IRC almost always spills into the forums. If there ever is a short-media IRC channel, it will NOT be endorsed, moderated, or supported by the ownership of this site.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I may not be the wisest choice to many of you, but I would volunteer myself to co-own the Short-Media channel and keep it in smooth operation.

I have a feeling most of the people who would show up have proven themselves as constructive members of the community...And those who have not will be on immediate probation. Instigation of any arguments will result in a permanent ban.
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    yeah, or there are the good ol standby already popular channels ;D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hmm....
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    There are other established channels people can always visit.
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited June 2003
    I guess nobody will ever go to #short-media, or ever register it
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited June 2003
    diabx0r said
    I guess nobody will ever go to #short-media, or ever register it

I guess not :celebrate
  • EMNEMN
    edited June 2003
    Umm...forums and irc are a place where people gather to discuss different matters. They are not a place where people babysit other people.

"Trouble brewing"? Is this the department of homeland security? Most issues that evolved from IRC were Mortin's personal fault (as in why there's no one in #icrontic, because Mortin was kick-ban happy).

If you believe that officially sponsoring an IRC channel is "asking for trouble," I humbly say that you are wrong. IRC is not a forum, there will be flaming and insults and other things, but that is the beauty of it, it's free for all. On a forum people who disrespect the rules are banned, threads are deleted, issues are solved.

So basically, sponsoring an IRC channel will not "breed bad energy" unless the ops in the channel are like Mortin or worse like what Blackhawk proposes, that WILL breed "bad energy." There are no rules on IRC, that is the fundamental thing. But there are rules on the forums, so the forums will stay clean/unaffected.

//edit: Just another quick point. A #short-media channel would be a great place that people from the forums can chat, solve issues, etc. However, the dynamics will be different than those on the forums and that is what some of you need to realize and let go.
  • Superducky55Superducky55 Michigan
    edited June 2003
    EvilMathNinja said
    ... there will be flaming and insults and other things, but that is the beauty of it, it's free for all.

So basically, sponsoring an IRC channel will not "breed bad energy" unless the ops in the channel are like Mortin or worse like what Blackhawk proposes, that WILL breed "bad energy." There are no rules on IRC, that is the fundamental thing. But there are rules on the forums, so the forums will stay clean/unaffected.

Contradicting statements.. :confused:
    It will not breed bad energy, but it will cause flaming and insults and other things?
    Hmm..
    I still think IRC channels are a bad idea.. Un-modded areas of conjugation with members of a forum will always breed these flame wars and will cause hostilities between forum members..
    it's happened MANY times in the past, and does not need to be repeated here..
    edited June 2003
    #Icrontic died because Mortin was in charge. No better way to breed bad energy than installing a ban-happy retard as the owner of a popular channel.
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited June 2003
    Hey, I'm not a ban-happy retard, I'm just a retard. :mullet:

If I was ever owner of the channel, and someone pulled stupid bull**** I'd just kick them :cool:
  • EMNEMN
    edited June 2003
    Superducky55 said
    EvilMathNinja said
    ... there will be flaming and insults and other things, but that is the beauty of it, it's free for all.

Contradicting statements.. :confused:
    It will not breed bad energy, but it will cause flaming and insults and other things?
    Hmm..
    I still think IRC channels are a bad idea.. Un-modded areas of conjugation with members of a forum will always breed these flame wars and will cause hostilities between forum members..
    it's happened MANY times in the past, and does not need to be repeated here..

Well, let me clarify, you cannot expect IRC to be as clean and as politically correct and as strictly moderated as a forum. But cannot also claim this will breed "bad energy." People will hate each other and flame and yadda, in a forum and on and IRC channel and in life, but the thing is before entering an IRC channel, you got to understand you won't be protected by the super mods. And if that's a problem, then you can't whine about it on the forums, since that's a personal issues. Moderating IRC to make it as "nice" as a forum would ruin it.

I believe some people are using the incident where [namewithheld] was treated with some harshness on IRC and then went on whine long and hard about it on the forums. The thing to understand here is that on IRC everyone is brutally honest. So if your feelings are hurt, well whinning about it on the forums will lead no where except a flame war on the forums as well.

I mean, there will be flame wars on the forums, there always have been but they are quickly thwarted. An icident of someone that need to be babysat and could not take some reality on IRC that moved the flame war to the forums does not mean jack about IRC and "bad energy" and karma and my mom. :o

//edited for grammar
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Then why not stick with the channels that already is there? There´s no need for another unuseful channel.
    edited June 2003
    Because the channel that's already there is pathetic.
  • edited June 2003
    So let's just start a channel with the exact same people as #addaboy...but with a different name! That'll be much better!
    :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:
    edited June 2003
    Which one are you talking about?
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    In an ideal world where people were laid back and didn't get all pissed off about what somebody said to them on a fricking internet chat channel...it would work.

Unfortunately, the world isn't ideal...and people do get all flustered and pissed off. Its not worth the hassle.

/me agree's no IRC channel is necessary
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Like I said before, there's no reason that someone could not register a channel called #short-media, but I'll repeat myself since maybe some of you didn't read the first page of this thread:

THE OWNERSHIP OF THIS SITE, namely myself, MediaMan, and Shorty, WILL NOT ENDORSE, OPERATE, or SUPPORT an IRC channel. We are a hardware and media discussion forum, not a channel.

That's my official response.

My personal opinion: The only people who frequent IRC are the 25 and under male crowd. DJ-Quack had an excellent point: even if somebody started a channel, the only people that would frequent it would be the same people that use #addaboy... so why make a redundant channel?

I love quack. He's the most logical teenager I've ever met.
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited June 2003
    I think only a handful of people from here know about addaboy.com, so maybe you could make an official announcement somewhere about #addaboy being the channel to hang out in maybe?

Or you could awlays come to #short-media, it think it's quite active right now :celebrate
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited June 2003
    I seem to agree with the powers that be, an Mirc channel doesn't make too much sense.

If peeps want to chat realtime then #teamicrontic and #addaboy are alreaqdy established.

As for moderating a chat channel using the same guidelines as a forum?

Absolutely ridiculous for dozens of reasons.
  • PeaceDawgPeaceDawg Perth
    edited June 2003
    I have had plenty of irc experience in the past and for the most part they have always been fairly decent experiences. Just my 2 cents.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited June 2003
    Same here, though the channels I've visited aren't affected by issues as polarizing as the ones I've seen in tech channels.