Cigarette Lighter

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited August 2003 in Hardware
Now I've seen it all.

Thanks to our pals at Amdmb for the link to Systemcooling.
The Sunbeam Cigarette Lighter is available in either Silver or Black and is constructed of high quality aluminum.
It will universally fit any case that has an available 5.25” drive bay, but you might not want to install it in an acrylic case for obvious reasons.
The Sunbeam Cigarette Lighter is low heat and can be electrically shut down by pressing the lighter for 15-18 seconds. Installation is quite simple; just screw it in place as you would any other device that fits into a 5.25” drive bay.

Prof

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Here's another pic:

Prof
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    Sounds like a good idea for smokers, but such evil people shouldn't get such a good (for them) accessory.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited August 2003
    OMG, that thing must suck a lot of juice!!!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Woohoo! now I can plug a cigarette lighter socket into my computer's PS and have it on the front of the case! yay! Then I can plug my 300w TrippLite DC-AC inverter into it and plug my laptop's power brick into the inverter! Then my desktop will be powering my laptop! yay! :rolleyes:

Utterly, totally, completely, 100% worthless.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I'll use one to hook my radar detector up to the PC...
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited August 2003
    Whoa, sweet! I can use it to power my portable CD player, which feeds to a tape deck and then back to the desktop speakers for awesome sound!

~dodo
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Well, hypothetically, that could be really useful if...

uh...

:scratch:

hmm...

/me goes off to create a 5 and a half inch electric toothbrush
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    * General Keebler goes off to create a 5 and a half inch electric toothbrush
    Too late, buddy:

Prof
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    guh.gif
    edited August 2003
    didn't you guys see my thread about the USB-powered massager ball (that's MASSAGER BALL, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! :rolleyes: ), USB-powered mug warmer, and USB powered air purifier? Oh and the lighted USB cables? It's absurd...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Il admit my bad habit :rolleyes:

Im a smoker and I wouldn't install that in my rig!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Well I suppose the pyromaniacs could now feed their obsession in the comfort of their very own home.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited August 2003
    It's for Lan parties. When someone has been utterly useless the whole night, he gets a temporary mark of shame.....
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I may be making a trip to Asia this month.
    If I go, I promise to buy one of every wierd USB powered device that I can find.
    May be can auction them off to attract some attention.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited August 2003
    I'd never install that thing in my comp no matter how handy it would be, i'm constantly losing my lighter, it just looks lame.

But not as lame as that usb coffee cup heater thingy

/me throws coffee cup heater out the window and hope no-one saw it
    edited August 2003
    * Red Dawn throws coffee cup heater out the window and hope no-one saw it

;D;D;D;D
  • edited August 2003
    I'm left wondering what the toothbrush does (aside from brushing teeth). It have software to go with it or something?
    edited August 2003
    TheSmJ said
    I'm left wondering what the toothbrush does (aside from brushing teeth). It have software to go with it or something?
    I think it just taps the power connection off the USB.

Gives me an idea, though: Wouldn't it be nice to have software that would automatically move the brush around to make sure every tooth is fully cleaned, then shut the toothbrush off for you?

Of course, some clown would probably develop a virus that would cause the whole thing to jump right down your throat and choke you to death... ;D

At any rate, they should offer a combo deal. Then you could always brush your teeth right after smoking. :vimp:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    id totally get this...just for ****s n giggles
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    This is what happens when you smoke around your computer.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photonet/images/spc/P7291036-8x6.jpg

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photonet/images/spc/P7291039-8x6.jpg

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photonet/images/spc/P7291046-8x6.jpg

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photonet/images/spc/P7291052-8x6.jpg

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photonet/images/spc/P7291055-8x6.jpg

(I didn't use IMG tags because the forum I found the links on (HardOCP's forum) didn't have anything but links to the images so I figured perhaps he was trying to save bandwidth.)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    imagine what his lungs look like...sheesh
    edited August 2003
    I've never understood why people start smoking. What crosses your mind as you first inhale the opposite end of a burning stick? I guess my lack of understanding of what's tempting about cigarettes and the fact that I get physically ill when I'm exposed to smoke for extended periods of time is why I never smoked.
    WuGgaRoO said
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited August 2003
    After lookin at those picks i checked my comp out and found no such residue, prob cause i clean it out every other week.

So to be sure i checked out a comp at my dads work, the guy that uses the computer is basically a chain smoker and hes had the same machine for 6yrs. Apon opening i found none of the residure shown in the above pics, although i did find a lot of dust and a few flakes of ash.
    edited August 2003
    a2jfreak said
    This is what happens when you smoke around your computer.
    My first job as a PC repairman I was the only one in the whole place who didn't smoke. Those pictures are easy for me to believe.
    WuGgaRoO said
    Aaaaaacccckkkk!!!
    a2jfreak said
    I've never understood why people start smoking.
    Peer pressure and curiosity in my case. Then you're hooked on the nicotine. I quit for good about 15 years ago. Now I just have to clean dog hair out of everything. ;)
    edited August 2003
    Those were not pictures taken by me so I cannot vouch for their veracity, but I can say that I do find them believeable. Perhaps the ventalation at the work-place is much better than the ventalation in the room the computer in those pictures was placed.
    Red Dawn said
    After lookin at those picks i checked my comp out and found no such residue, prob cause i clean it out every other week.

So to be sure i checked out a comp at my dads work, the guy that uses the computer is basically a chain smoker and hes had the same machine for 6yrs. Apon opening i found none of the residure shown in the above pics, although i did find a lot of dust and a few flakes of ash.

Oh well. At least your longue are probably a lot cleaner. :)
    profdlp said
    Peer pressure and curiosity in my case. Then you're hooked on the nicotine. I quit for good about 15 years ago. Now I just have to clean dog hair out of everything. ;)
  • edited August 2003
    I've taken apart/cleaned a computer from a family with heavy smokers (the parents). The dust I was stuck cleaning looked exactly like the pics a2jfreak has. Also, it smells terrible (as one could imagine).
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    I am a smoker. I think the lighter thingy is a great idea! and it looks cool too. I also like the idea of marking the lan party loser with it (or this friend of mine that always begs me to let him play bf1942 on my PC).

I now open and clean my pcs once a year. but my pc never looked as bad as the pics there. and that crap inside his looks red. mines always grey. he must be smokin some redbud or crack or something.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I dont think the mug warmer is a bad idea, or the lit USB cables, just think, when it's time for the festive season, you don't need to bother with lights round the tree, a few USB cables would do the trick just fine :)

NS
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I took my PC apart to give it a total spring clean a month ago or so. Hardly a spec in it and Im a smoker. Go figure?
    NightShade737 said
    I dont think the mug warmer is a bad idea, or the lit USB cables, just think, when it's time for the festive season, you don't need to bother with lights round the tree, a few USB cables would do the trick just fine :)

NS

USB xmas lights :eek: patent that idea before someone does it!