Help! SATA Raid 0 Array is Gone

edited June 2009 in Hardware
When I had my case side off earlier today my nephew unplugged one of my sata raid hard drives and it turned off my computer. Well after replugging it in the Raid 0 array is offline. IT shows the hard drive he unplugged as being 'free' in the assignment window, and the hard drive that remained plugged up still as being active in Array 1. I tried rebuilding the array (which is Array 1, Raid Mode = Stripe, Total Drives = 2, Capacity = 164496) but all it said was 'Recovery is not appicable'.

Any clues how to get it back working or any type of recovery possible? The only thing that is irreplaceable are my sister's wedding photos, but all of the other data is important as well. Thank you for any information/tips you can give in this matter.

Computer Info: Pentium 4 3Ghz, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, 1024MB GEIL PC4000 Ram, 2x 80GB Hitatchi Sata Hard Drives

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2005
    Sounds very much as if one disk just isn't being seen. There's no need to rebuild the RAID array. It can't rebuild anyway, if only one disk is being seen.

All the RAID config needs to do is see both disks.

It sounds like a physical problem to me, and very much like your cable connections aren't good.

Which cable was unplugged, data or power? Make sure you have good connections on both and if possible try a substitute SATA DATA cable.

EDIT: I've just re-read your post and noticed the disk is actually being seen. Sorry bout that. It's possibly hosed.
  • edited March 2005
    Yes, both devices are being seen. The one that was unplugged says that it is 'free' while the other one says that it is on Array 1. Both hard drives seem to work, but after the one got unplugged it just doesn't register as being part of Array 1.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Can you go into your RAID controller setup and put the stray drive back on Array 1? (It wasn't clear to me if you were able to so that.)

Try using the program referenced here and have it look for partitions on your RAID Array. :)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    BFRNoon wrote:
    Yes, both devices are being seen. The one that was unplugged says that it is 'free' while the other one says that it is on Array 1. Both hard drives seem to work, but after the one got unplugged it just doesn't register as being part of Array 1.
    If it was the power lead which got yanked out, there is a fair chance that the disk structure or at least part of it has been corrupted. RAID arrays are very fragile. I presume it was the power lead that was yanked out, because there is no good reason for your computer to power off upon removal of the SATA lead, I mean, you're supposed to be able to do that (not a good idea with a RAID array though).

If the drive's partition has been damaged, that might explain why the RAID controller is having trouble seeing the un-paired drive as a legitimate part of the previously operational RAID array.

I would typically suggest downloading a diagnostic tool from IBM/Hitachi (if one exists) which might be able to repair the disk (if it is indeed damaged) but because it is one half of a RAID 0 array, I don't think you could use it.

Sadly, the only thing I can suggest is to pull the plug on what’s left on the array and start again from scratch, perhaps testing the troubled disk in question individually first (e.g. format it, install OS onto it) before you attempt to create a new array.

I might add that no data recover program will be able to salvage data off a RAID'd drive (unless I'm mistaken), so to avoid data loss in future you need to backup your data regularly. This is a must when using any type of disk setup, single or otherwise. When using RAID 0 however, backup becomes absolutely essential. You must never rely on a RAID 0 array. Install your OS onto one sure, but use an independent disk for storing files. That way if the disk does fail, you'll have at least some chance of being able to recover the data.
  • edited March 2005
    You were right to assume it was the power cable from the SATA drive. While the hard drive itself works fine (and gets picked up when I plug it up as an IDE) it just won't read it's part of the Array. I will try a seperate RAID card tomorrow (never know, maybe something with the motherboard) but as you said the data is probably gone for good.
    edited March 2005
    Try the program I suggested. It's a free, quick-and-easy download. You'll likely know in a few minutes if it will be of help.

Can't hurt. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Hey guys sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but i have the EXACT same problem as the thread starter.. I have the same motherboard as him as well.

I tried downloading the program profdlp suggested but that program doesn't really work in windows because windows doesn't see the array. Both of the harddrives are seen in the raid controller (1 is seen as a FREE drive and the other is seen as part of Array 1 ).

Anyone got any idea if there's a way to rebuild the array..? This is the 2nd time the damn raid0 messed up in 1 week!
    Last week i lost over 100 gb of Data because I didn't know that you can rebuild the array, but now I see on some sites that it is possible to rebuild but none of the programs that are supposed to fix the arrays work.. :(
    edited December 2006
    genji wrote:
    ...I tried downloading the program profdlp suggested but that program doesn't really work in windows because windows doesn't see the array...
    It's meant to run off a bootable floppy or cdrom. :)
    Both of the harddrives are seen in the raid controller (1 is seen as a FREE drive and the other is seen as part of Array 1 ).
    Can you go into the settings for the raid controller and re-create the array?
  • edited December 2006
    yeah I can go into the settings for the raid controller but it says "recovery is not applicable" when i try to do it for the array..
    I think im gonna give raid 0 a last shot and try installing it on the intel ICH5R raid controller. If this also crashes im done /w raid0 for good :/
  • edited December 2006
    I FIGURED IT OUT.... I searched google for over 6 hours and read a ****load of articles but NONE of them said you can fix a RAID 0 array if it got an error.

Well I just fixed my RAID 0 array - you can only do this if both the hard discs in the raid 0 array work properly - which uses FastTrak raid controllerby rebuilding it.

1. First you gotta delete the array(it will ask u if u want to delete the bootsector, say NO because this will delete all the files from your harddiscs). Before deleting it make sure you write down the stripe number if you can't remember it in your head. :D

2. Then you have to reboot, and choose 'Define Array' option. Rebuilt the array using the same stripe number as the array you had before had. When it asks you if you want to format the drives say NO.

3. After rebuilding the array you have to reboot again and windows will start loading. Before you enter windows it will do a system error check to check for bad sectors etc. I did it and didn't get any bad sectors. When the system disc check is complete windows works just as it did before your array crashed!

I hope this can help other people who have gotten/will get the same problem as I did. I've gotten this problem once already and lost over 100 gb of data because everyone said that I'm screwed, well they're wrong!
    My hardware was fine. It was the FastTrak controller that screws up when you touch/unplug a SATA cable.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I know the horse (is it a horse... a cow...??) is outta the barn already but..... I'll say it anyway.............It's soooooooo important that you back up back up back up back up back up back up back up. Absolutely NO system is 100% reliable. It is not IF but always WHEN a system will fail. The idea is to be proactive. Think worst case scenario always and prepare for it.

You should never have to lose so much (ANY for that matter) data again if you implement a good backup routine. A good backup routine will include maintaining a c-u-r-r-e-n-t image of your primary partition(s) and any logical partitions where programs are installed as well as frequent data backups (I recommend daily backups).

On my systems, a-l-l of my data is completely isolated from the partitions that the OSs reside on (I run multi-boot systems that use the same data that I have isolated on a partition dedicated to data storage on each computer). The data is repeated across three systems on a LAN a-n-d is backed up.

Isolating your data from your OS partition is key, IMHO. This facilitates restoring/repairing, etc. an OS partition w/o effecting your data. I've found that there are very few apps that I run across that won't let me customize where the data resides (by hook or crook I usually figure it out). In fact, I think I have only one right now that won't let me change where it's data resides.

I image my drives regularly as well (a-n-d I validate (test them to make sure they are viable) the images after I create them). I can tell you, that has saved me many many hours of toil and trouble restoring a corrupted or otherwise mis-behaving sytem.

Always, b4 I make any significant changes to a system, I image the partition 1st. If the change is not satisfactory, I just restore the image and viola, I'm back where I started - rather than having to excise the program I installed (or otherwise undo the significant changes I'd made).

These are just good habits to get into. Once they've saved your bacon once or twice, you'll be sold.

A good UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is invaluable, as well. Many computer-related problems can be traced back to power anomalies - dirty power, spikes or sags in power. Your computer is very sensitive w/ respect to power.....

Well, that's my dollar two ninety eight's worth anyway.... :type:
  • edited December 2006
    i c, you value your data allot :O

The reason why I lost 100 gb the first time is that I was too careless.. I thought the raid0 array i built would last longer than 2 weeks lol

I have to say that your method of backing up sounds very good but I'm way too lazy to do all that :/ I mostly play games/watch movies/mp3 on my pc :D no work etc(im a student 21). My important school data is on a different harddisc with all my other "important" files such as; applications/drivers etc.
  • edited December 2006
    btw do you know anything about CPU's / benchmarking?
    I've got some performance issues with my CPU. I've done some benchmarking and other people with the same processor as me get way more points than me :(

ps. yes I installed the intel chipset drivers
    edited December 2006
    genji wrote:
    I FIGURED IT OUT....

:celebrate

Congrtulations! Glad you got it fixed. Thank you for following up here letting us know what you found fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help folks later who are researching the same issue.

Now........... be sure to start backing up so you don't ever have to go through this again. :thumbsup:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    My RAID 0 array has been up and running since Jan 2004, but it is on the old HighPoint 372N controller on the ABIT KD7-RAID
  • edited December 2006
    I guess I've been unlucky.. my array messed up 2 times in 2 weeks :/
  • edited December 2006
    I had horrendous problems with Raid 0 when I got the drives muddled up (ie plugged into the wrong sata port) this broke the array. Profdlp suggestion of TestDisk was excellent. It worked like a charm (it even told me which disk was which so I could swap them around correctly) before complelely sorting out the problems.

I had considered purchasing expensive recovery software which needs the use of a seperate hard disk of the total size of the array to work on, however teskdisk just fixed it quickly and without any hassle. Needless to say the author is getting a donation.

It is now a permanent part of my 'emergency kit'
  • edited January 2007
    OMG! :celebrate

I almost watched my whole MP3 collection of 10 years (~125 Gigabytes)washed down the drain because of messing around with RAID 0. Thought it would be fun just to mess around with the feature on my motherboard, started transferring data around to actually reduce the amount of drives in the system. Then when I decided to transfer the data off the RAID 0 drive configuration I had a power fluctuation and the RAID went OFFLINE in the BIOS.

I followed the steps to delete RAID array without removing the Boot Sector, rebuilt the array without formatting and it came back with zero errors. This was done an a Promise 378 Onboard Controller for an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.

I can't thank this thread / message board enough for the "Nothing to Lose" idea to rebuild my Striped (RAID 0) hard drive configuration.

I couldn't sleep last night thinking of the amount of money and time I had just destroyed...

THANK YOU AGAIN! Now to go invest in a properly sized backup solution. Or more drives for RAID 5. :)

:respect:
    edited January 2007
    budman74 wrote:
    OMG! I almost watched my whole MP3 collection of 10 years (~125 Gigabytes)washed down the drain.......
    That's a disaster just waiting to happen - RAID or not. A hard disk drive is made up of moving parts. As we all know, moving parts inevitably or eventually fail. It is just a matter of when.

To protect your data from your own mistakes and from device failure, etc., you must must must..... Backup! Backup! Backup! Backup! Backup! Backup! Backup!

And n-e-v-e-r mess with your system drive without a safety net. Backup your data first and, better yet, image your HDD b-e-f-o-r-e you start tinkering. When things go south on you, you'll be relieved you did this, believe me (ask me how I know.. :rolleyes: )

Oh, yeah! Did I say Backup?! :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2009
    sorry to resurect this .... i just had my first Raid-0 array issue ever ... suddenly this morning my Raid-0 of 4 raptors (two "volumes' / "partitions") is not being seen by windows ... all it sees is an unallocated drive that needs formating, instead of the two drives with data that were there till yday night ....

its an ICH9R (P35) and the Intel Matrix Storage Console shows the array to be intact, both volumes are there .... the same with the Bios .... I just run the Testdisk thing and it also finds the volumes correctly and even their volume names ! But have no other clue how to use this tool any further

What can i do to fix this?

Thank you
  • edited June 2009
    Genji, Thanks for poring over the Google listings for hours to come up with the answer and then posting it here. The last thing I would have done on my own was delete the array.

Now my RAID0 array is up and running again.