Best Video Card for around $200 !help!

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited March 2005 in Hardware
Hey, getting ready to finally build my PC in a few months, wondering whether to go with the ati radeon 9800 pro(128MB) or the Nvidia 6600gt(128MB) or if you have ay other ones, post them(that are barely over $200 or under)

im sure this post has been done before, but didnt feel like searching, my mx1000 battery life is low and i gotta charge it, thanks.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    nvidia
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited March 2005
    im sure this post has been done before, but didnt feel like searching, my mx1000 battery life is low and i gotta charge it, thanks.
    Pff.. just search Kyle Pate. Use Google, look at benchmarks. I'm going to steal your MX1000 if you can't keep the fairly long lasting battery charged enough to move your mouse to the top right of the browser... :shakehead ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    mtgoat made a good suggestion in this thread of yours.
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29647
    (go to pci-e instead of agp).
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited March 2005
    Did you try looking at benchmarks Kyle? They help in the decision, but for a little more of an opinion answer I will say that my 9800pro has done quite nicely for me, and performs quite well.

Listen well to the advice of those on Short-Media young grasshopper. ;D
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited March 2005
    I think im going to go with a SLI board. With NF4, can u use only Nvidia cards?. Have a good night smart kids on the right side of the room.
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited March 2005
    I think im going to go with a SLI board. With NF4, can u use only Nvidia cards?. Have a good night smart kids on the right side of the room.
    With NF4 you can use any brand of card if you only want to use 1 video card. However, only nVidia is SLI compatible. So, like you said today, if you want to go with SLI later on (buy 1 card now, 1 later) it will need to be nVidia.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2005
    If I had a 9800pro that I already owned I'd say stick with it but since your buying a new card a 6600gt would be a better buy.

On the Motherboard front I would buy one of those DFI boards that can be modded into a SLI motherboard and save some cash or better yet put the extra cash towards a 6800nu...
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
    Hey, getting ready to finally build my PC in a few months, wondering whether to go with the ati radeon 9800 pro(128MB) or the Nvidia 6600gt(128MB) or if you have ay other ones, post them(that are barely over $200 or under)

TechReport: NVIDIA's GeForce 6600 GT AGP graphics card w the X700, 9800 Pro & GF 6800 (NU)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2005
    Great link on video cards Omega..
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
    Here's some more... :) This should cover everything

Tom's VGA Charts IV: AGP

Tom's VGA Charts IV: PCIe