*NEW* SiI3x12: Serial ATA (SATA) RAID/IDE BIOS v.4250 Released

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    Hi.

1.)
    Thanks for the link to unsuppoerted/outdated Silicon Image files & documents.

2.)
    Well, I wrote the suggestion and Spinner executed/accomplished it.
    I "like" it to interfere/meddle/force. :thumbsup:

Well, thanks for the work. :)

3.)
    The 4.2.5.0 release which was added to the BIOS file is exactly the same like the one which can be download from:
    http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/index.asp

That means it is the SATA BIOS file with the warnings:

I am sure it will work with your mainboard too.
    BNO, go to http://www.siimage.com, click on Support the Resource Center and then C.R.C.

In that area you can download the latest official BIOS files for the SI controllers. The download zip file that is available for the SI 3112A controller contains three files. One PCI controller RAID BIOS file, one PCI controller non-RAID file and one file for use with onboard versions of the SI 3112A chip. It is this version that is designed for use and integration with motherboard BIOS files.

As far as I'm aware you can not use the two BIOS file types intented for use with PCI controllers with onboard incarnations. However because I used the BIOS file designed for integration with motherboard BIOS files, the BIOS I modded is perfectly safe to use and uses official and fully supported BIOS files. :)

What did you mean by "I like it to interfere/meddle/force"?
    It is important to not forget to add/mention phrases such as:
    Use the modified BIOS file at your own risk.
    I will not be responsible for any demages.
    Yes of course, but I've only swapped out a controller ROM file, I haven't edited the actual BIOS code itself. The worst which could possibly happen is the SATA controller stops working. In that event, you can just flash back to the old one to get it working again. :)
    1.)
    Thanks for the link to unsuppoerted/outdated Silicon Image files & documents.
    No one has posted any links to un-supported or outdated Silicon Image files and documents. :scratch:
  • edited March 2005
    Hi Spinner.

I know that the modified BIOS files with updated SATA/RAID BIOS (ver. 4.2.5.0) work,
    but why does Silicon Image wrote such a warning:
    <h1><span style="color: red;">Comments/Special Instructions:</span></h1>

<p class="MsoNormal">The BIOS files attached here are intended for use with ADD-IN cards, not motherboards. <b>To get the latest SiI3x12 BIOS for your motherboard, please go to your motherboard manufacturer's website for updates.</b></p>
    ?
    Are they stupid? It seems to be. :)

No one has posted any links to un-supported or outdated Silicon Image files and documents.
    http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/index.asp <- there you can download
    documents and drivers which are not available on the "normal" homepage.
  • edited March 2005
    Hi Spinner.

I know that the modified BIOS files with updated SATA/RAID BIOS (ver. 4.2.5.0) work,
    but why does Silicon Image wrote such a warning:

?
    Are they stupid? It seems to be. :)
    If you hare read everything the wrote there,
    you would have seen that they do post the BIOS for the
    on board version (not ADD-IN card),
    but they say it is not to be used by end users,
    but by the motherboard's manufacturer,
    which may modify the ROM for their motherboard,
    and that is why you should get the BIOS from the manufacturer.
    :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2005
    Damned, damned, damned. :mad:

I overlooked following:
    The third XXXX.bin file which has no letter in front of it is an abbreviated BIOS intended for use by OEMs for integration into system/motherboard BIOS. It is not intended for use by end-users.
  • edited March 2005
    hi, good forum

i have Abit KD7-G bios 1.5 motherboard with Sil3112 Raid bios ver :4.2.12
    and sunix SATA2000 add-in card with Raid bios ver : 4.2.50
    and Connectland S-ATA add-in card with Raid bios : 4.2.47 and ST M29W010B

i have found where a member said "ST M29W010B = AMD M29LV010B"
    can i upgrade my card with this config ?

for my motherboard, is there any way for upgrade (utilities or other) my bios because Abit manufactor doesn't release new bios with last Sil3112 bios ?

thanks for your help
    sorry for my english
    Arch4
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner,

Nice job on the bios modding!

You can copy some of the code for the Sata PCI controller card and make it into a file for the motherboard if the only bios you can get is the PCI add-in version.

Tmod
  • edited March 2005
    Hi arch4.

Here you can download the updated BIOS file.
    The old embedded SATA ROM (Version 4.2.12 2003) was replaced with the latest Version 4.2.50.

<fieldset style="border: 4px solid rgb(255, 0, 0);"><legend style="font-weight: bold;">Before modification</legend>
    CBROM V2.20 (C)Phoenix Technologies, Ltd 2001 All Rights Reserved.

********  KD7G_15.BIN BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name         Original-Size   Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
    ================================================================================
      0. System BIOS       20000h(128.00K) 139CEh(78.45K)  KD7G_15.BIN
      1. XGROUP CODE       0BD30h(47.30K)  08373h(32.86K)  awardext.rom
      2. CPU micro code    02800h(10.00K)  0169Bh(5.65K)   CPUCODE.BIN
      3. ACPI table        03E19h(15.52K)  0173Eh(5.81K)   ACPITBL.BIN
      4. EPA LOGO          00642h(1.56K)   0022Bh(0.54K)   AWARDEPA.BIN
      5. YGROUP ROM        043C0h(16.94K)  02D00h(11.25K)  awardeyt.rom
      6. GROUP ROM[ 0]     042F0h(16.73K)  01F19h(7.77K)   _EN_CODE.BIN
      7. PCI ROM[ A]       0D000h(52.00K)  07929h(30.29K)  b57pxe11.lom
    [COLOR=Red][B]  8. PCI ROM[ B]       0C000h(48.00K)  05DFCh(23.50K)  4212.bin[/B][/COLOR]

Total compress code space  = 34000h(208.00K)
      Total compressed code size = 31083h(196.13K)
      Remain compress code space = 02F7Dh(11.87K)

** Micro Code Information **
    Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID
    ------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------

</fieldset>

<fieldset style="border: 4px solid rgb(0, 255, 0);"><legend style="font-weight: bold;">After modification</legend>
    CBROM V2.20 (C)Phoenix Technologies, Ltd 2001 All Rights Reserved.

********  KD7G_15.BIN BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name         Original-Size   Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
    ================================================================================
      0. System BIOS       20000h(128.00K) 139CEh(78.45K)  KD7G_15.BIN
      1. XGROUP CODE       0BD30h(47.30K)  08373h(32.86K)  awardext.rom
      2. CPU micro code    02800h(10.00K)  0169Bh(5.65K)   CPUCODE.BIN
      3. ACPI table        03E19h(15.52K)  0173Eh(5.81K)   ACPITBL.BIN
      4. EPA LOGO          00642h(1.56K)   0022Bh(0.54K)   AWARDEPA.BIN
      5. YGROUP ROM        043C0h(16.94K)  02D00h(11.25K)  awardeyt.rom
      6. GROUP ROM[ 0]     042F0h(16.73K)  01F19h(7.77K)   _EN_CODE.BIN
      7. PCI ROM[ A]       0D000h(52.00K)  07929h(30.29K)  b57pxe11.lom
    [COLOR=Green][B]  8. PCI ROM[ B]       0C000h(48.00K)  055FCh(21.50K)  4250.bin[/B][/COLOR]

Total compress code space  = 34000h(208.00K)
      Total compressed code size = 30883h(194.13K)
      Remain compress code space = 0377Dh(13.87K)

** Micro Code Information **
    Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID  |  Update ID  CPUID
    ------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------

</fieldset>
  • edited March 2005
    Could also be your powersupply.. maybe it can't deliver the amount of power for all the parts of your PC when you start your computer.
    edited March 2005
    Tmod wrote:
    Spinner,

Nice job on the bios modding!

You can copy some of the code for the Sata PCI controller card and make it into a file for the motherboard if the only bios you can get is the PCI add-in version.

Tmod
    Excellent, thanks for the info :). But for example in the SI 3112A's case, which PCI add-in BIOS rom would I want to use out of the two, obviously the RAID one, but would the non-RAID BIOS rom work for mobo integration too with the result being you were just no longer able to setup RAID?
    edited March 2005
    arch4 wrote:
    i have found where a member said "ST M29W010B = AMD M29LV010B"
    can i upgrade my card with this config ?
    I can't vouch for that information, but as far as I'm aware if you select the wrong one it just won't flash. So I don't think you are at risk of causing your card any damage by trying that option.
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    Excellent, thanks for the info :). But for example in the SI 3112A's case, which PCI add-in BIOS rom would I want to use out of the two, obviously the RAID one, but would the non-RAID BIOS rom work for mobo integration too with the result being you were just no longer able to setup RAID?

Spinner,

The bios I did a comparison of was the 3114 Silicon Image bios's.

Well looking at the 3112 bios's it seems Silicon Image changed a few things between the onboard bios and the PCI add-in bios's.

On a interesting note between the PCI add-in bios's only the last two lines of hex code make the difference in raid or non-raid.

I just removed my NF7-S from my system and I just might re-install it and find out if cutting the 3112 PCI add-in bios will work on a system bios.

Tmod
    edited March 2005
    Tmod wrote:
    Spinner,

The bios I did a comparison of was the 3114 Silicon Image bios's.

Well looking at the 3112 bios's it seems Silicon Image changed a few things between the onboard bios and the PCI add-in bios's.

On a interesting note between the PCI add-in bios's only the last two lines of hex code make the difference in raid or non-raid.

I just removed my NF7-S from my system and I just might re-install it and find out if cutting the 3112 PCI add-in bios will work on a system bios.

Tmod
    Interesting. Let me know if you suceed.

The main reason I'm interested in all this is because I'm curious to find out what the effects would be of having say the non-RAID 3x12 PCI card BIOS integrated and used on a users motherboard where they're having trouble with detection and driver installation, like on all these Gigabyte boards people keep have trouble with. Because so far, just updating the BIOS to the latest version doesn't seem to really cure their problems on the integrated solutions.

Because BASE mode on integrated solutions, if I'm correct in thinking this, is not the same as say a SI 3x12 PCI card using the non-RAID BIOS. Allowing the integrated SI controllers on motherboards to be fully enabled (typically classed as RAID mode in the motherboard BIOS's) but to run a BIOS version that is tailored for single drive use (e.g. the PCI card non-RAID rom) might yield better results for some people.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    Interesting. Let me know if you suceed.

The main reason I'm interested in all this is because I'm curious to find out what the effects would be of having say the non-RAID 3x12 PCI card BIOS integrated and used on a users motherboard where they're having trouble with detection and driver installation, like on all these Gigabyte boards people keep have trouble with. Because so far, just updating the BIOS to the latest version doesn't seem to really cure their problems on the integrated solutions.

Because BASE mode on integrated solutions, if I'm correct in thinking this, is not the same as say a SI 3x12 PCI card using the non-RAID BIOS. Allowing the integrated SI controllers on motherboards to be fully enabled (typically classed as RAID mode in the motherboard BIOS's) but to run a BIOS version that is tailored for single drive use (e.g. the PCI card non-RAID rom) might yield better results for some people.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

I think I am following you.

Do we have a person with a Gigabyte board that would test this out for us?

We can take the current PCI add-in bios either raid or non-raid as they are the same except for the last two lines and remove the section that we need for the system bios and place it in the motherboard bios.

Then see if it works for anyone.

I don't see any issue's from having a Sata bios that is incorrect besides the Sata portion not working correctly. So the danger is limited.

Tmod
    edited March 2005
    Tmod wrote:
    I think I am following you.

Do we have a person with a Gigabyte board that would test this out for us?

We can take the current PCI add-in bios either raid or non-raid as they are the same except for the last two lines and remove the section that we need for the system bios and place it in the motherboard bios.

Then see if it works for anyone.

I don't see any issue's from having a Sata bios that is incorrect besides the Sata portion not working correctly. So the danger is limited.

Tmod
    We'll just have to wait for the next Gigabyte or other relating forum member to ask for help. Then we can try it out then. It probably won't make any difference but it's worth a shot. I'll have a think about it and maybe start a testing thread next week for people to be guinea pigs.

Could you do me a copy of the SI 3112A PCI card non-RAID BIOS file then, prepped for use in a motherboard BIOS file? I'll then be able to test it on one of my ASUS nForce 2 boards early next week. :)
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    I can't vouch for that information, but as far as I'm aware if you select the wrong one it just won't flash. So I don't think you are at risk of causing your card any damage by trying that option.

Hi, Spinner
    i have tested flash before search on ST web site and i have d/l compatibility doc. with other flash constructor ex : AMD
    good news : ST M29W010B = AMD M29LV010B (equivalent and compatibility)

after flash, the card controler works fine with ver : 4.2.50

Thanks
    @+
    Arch4
  • edited March 2005
    Hi, could someone tell me if this BIOS will work for my SiI 3112 PCI controller (non-RAID card)? If so, how do I know which of the 3 images to flash? And finally, is there a utility with which I can back up the current BIOS in case anything goes wrong?

Thanks a lot
    edited March 2005
    grippa wrote:
    Hi, could someone tell me if this BIOS will work for my SiI 3112 PCI controller (non-RAID card)? If so, how do I know which of the 3 images to flash? And finally, is there a utility with which I can back up the current BIOS in case anything goes wrong?

Thanks a lot
    Off the top of my head I don't know how you would extract and backup your current PCI card BIOS version, if the flash utility I've attached doesn't give you that option.

Regardless though, please find attached the latest non-RAID BIOS file for your 3112 PCI controller with the flash utility you'll need to use in DOS to update your card with the attached latest. Follow the instructions in the readme file contained.

Cheers
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    Off the top of my head I don't know how you would extract and backup your current PCI card BIOS version, if the flash utility I've attached doesn't give you that option.

The flash utility does offer that choice.

Tmod
    edited March 2005
    Tmod wrote:
    The flash utility does offer that choice.

Tmod
    Excellent. :thumbsup: Thanks for the clarification. It didn't mention anything in the bundled documentation, and I've got a memory like a goldfish. ;)
  • zokzok
    edited March 2005
    Hi,

Spinner: thank you for modified 7vaxpu.f7 bios . Have installed it and works
    ok. Also problems with Maxtor Diamond 10 Sata (160 GB) disk are reduced
    a bit. Now disk is recognized at any start, still have sometimes (when disk
    is cold) problems with reading MBR, but need just 1 or 2 resets (1 minute)
    instead of 5 minutes. Maybe next SI 3112A controller BIOS update will fix it
    completely :)
    BNO: thanks for tips about bios utilities.
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks Spinner for bios & Tmod for info! Will give it a go :D
    edited March 2005
    zok wrote:
    Hi,

You might also want to have a read through this thread: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29207

Cheers
  • zokzok
    edited March 2005
    Spinner:
    Yes, have seen that. Also document from Maxtor, but did anyone actualy do what
    djvga wrote ("Ground this pin to your case for example (to some screw)") ?
    Or maybe, better start looking for cable that has pin 11 grounded....
    edited March 2005
    zok wrote:
    ...but did anyone actualy do what
    djvga wrote
    Yeah, he did. ;);D

Obviously try his idea at your own risk, but going by what I've read, I think his method is sound. Follow his instructions to the letter and in theory it shouldn't put you ask risk of damaging any of your components. Essentially, you're only earthing a wire.
  • edited April 2005
    Hi all
    Im new here, ive search for this kind of problem and found this forum.
    My problem is similiar with zok, with same mainboard (GA-7VAXP Ultra) and Maxtor Sata 120 gb.
    My drive is recognize by the sata bios, but the system is unstable, sometimes i cant start windows. The drive is seems to work (i see hdd led is blinking) but the system not responding even i cant move mouse cursor. I need to restart or wait a long time.
    I have tried the bios modded by Spinner but the problem is still there.
    I think there is problem with the driver. Im using the latest raid driver -> 1.0.51 is it right?
    Can anyone help me? or i need buy new mainboard :)
  • edited April 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    Just to clarify...

Copy the 'updflash' to a floppy disk as well as the 'r4250' bin file.

You then need to boot into DOS using a floppy boot disk. You can download one from the SM downloads section if necessary.

Once in DOS type 'a:' to access the floppy drive. (If you're not already there)

Then type 'updflash r4250.bin'

That should work. Your original command line should also have worked, but typically you would only use the IDxxxx line if you had more than one PCI card and didn't want to be prompted as to which one you wanted flashing. The other parameters were also only optional, for the sake of simplicity leave them out for now.

Try the above again, and then post back. The 'updbios' utility is for creating your own custom BIOS files... I think.

Cheers

This alone is more than enough reason to love this place. I think i've learnt my lesson with flashing my controller's BIOS, or any BIOS for that matter. I don't know why, but I flashed the controller's BIOS through the inbuilt flash utility in the Driver's BIOS last night, with interesting consequences. It doesn't check to see if the input file is one designed for motherboards or add-in cards, and it incorrectly displayed the amount of memory the BIOS chip had, forcing me to use the only file that was below 64k (the mobo one).

I used updflash this morning without any luck using the following command:
    updflash R4250.bin -a -d -v

I dunno why I didn't try the [updlflash R4250.bin] thing as it was, but it worked a treat. The board is now recognised again, but the real test will be to see if it's fixed my problem with my intermittent crashing when writing to my RAID0 array. I moved it over from a 3114 contoller integrated on my Abit IC7-Max3 board, and i'm now using a PCI addon card with a 3112 controller. I'd take it out of the RAID0 array if I could... Not enough space to backup my data :(

Anyway, thank you for your help. You guys are great!

---dens
  • edited April 2005
    OMG. Thankyou. Thankyou. THANKYOU. You just saved my system. (Unfortunately I've already bought a new M/B)

What a great Forum.

Short History. I have a Gigabyte 7N400 pro2 M/B and recently tried to add a second 512mb ram to the system. Win XP kept crashing. So I went to the Gigabyte website for an updated BIOS. Unfortunatly I flashed the wrong revision (rev 1.0 instead of Rev 2.0) Now my Seagate SATA drive was unrecognisable and I could not reflash the correct version. After days of searching the web I finally gave up and ordered a new M/B. I woke up this morning and had one more try. Googling about forcing a BIOS update I found this website and this thread, and this link http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html. With detailed descriptions of how to flash the bios.

Using Jef's instructions I forced the correct version into BIOS and "Voila" Here I am. Fully functioning again with 1024MB Dual channel installed.

Thanks Again.
  • edited April 2005
    Nefius wrote:
    I still think it is a combination of the 3112 chip and maxtor drives..
    Yes I agree
  • edited April 2005
    zok wrote:
    Hi,

I am in the same case the system it works perfectly alone it fails the first seconds of the outburst.

GA-7Vaxp Ultra f7 bios and Sil3112A Bios Ver 4.1.36.
    Double Maxtor 6B200M0 Raid MegaRaid stripping.

I see the problem very undoubtedly it is since silicon image the system it works Gigabyte correctly it is an esamblador and as all the assemblers they put component echos for other makers.
    Other makers have also suffered therefore the same problem it is an error to accuse an assembler and to exalt to the other ones, when the culprit of this situation is Silicon. Something that my name is the attention is that ochre removes of its you paginate web all information and relating drivers to the pattern 3112a as if tries to hide its existence.
    On what one speaks of the order of outburst of SATA RAID SCSI it is indifferent since the board starts up equally in anyone case. In the event of having another disk with another win an automatic menu it is believed being able to consent to anyone of the two facilities.
    I believe that if you can nag to the fabriantes it is that they don't contribute the solution but quickly. However perhaps it is not you in their hand the solution due to the non understanding on the part of Silicon.
    A problem that if I found it is the sil3112a incompactibilidad with the card Avertv studio since both they used the irq 18 if I don't remember bad and the problem solves it microsoft in winupdate he/she brings the controller's sil3112a update.
    I was looking at that homemade Bios the 4.2.50 that there are I toss but the truth without having the original bios the 4.1.36c doesn't go arriegar a board without being able to return the bios to the original state.
    Does Alquien know where to get the Bios of he/she manufactures to be able to recover in the event of the new one it doesn't work?
  • edited April 2005
    zok wrote:
    Spinner:
    Yes, have seen that. Also document from Maxtor, but did anyone actualy do what
    djvga wrote ("Ground this pin to your case for example (to some screw)") ?
    Or maybe, better start looking for cable that has pin 11 grounded....
    This is interesting it is possible that this it is the problem of most of all.
    In my case io I don't have feeders SATA use adapters of type molded-SATA but nose if they are with pin11 or without them but if it fails me the outburst cold debit side to be that I use those that are not.
    Although it is also possible that it changes my feeding source because already flaw something a fan anklebone thinking of pilllar this.
    http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm
    Will this have the SATA of 11 pins not?