Prospective Team Member Guide

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2005
    Liquid, if you set up 2 instances of folding with Hyper Threading enabled, you should see 2 cores running.

Here is a screenshot of one of Sally's computers. Gives you an idea of what to look for. In case you are not familiar, bring up task manager/ click processes/ click CPU twice to bring the cores to the top.

If you only see one, something needs checking. Just need to make sure you only have one GUI. The other one needs to be a console. (can't have 2 GUI's).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Welcome to the team, liquid81. How did you find us?

You may not realize it yet, but you just joined a very tight-knit world community. We definitely take care of our own :D
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited March 2005
    I feel I made the right choice in joining you guys. I build computers as a side business, and from now on every machine that leaves my shop will be folding for you guys (with their permission of course)

I got the email you guys sent to everyone and was so moved I read Stanford's entire Folding website. Then installed it.

I am using Hyper-threading, but I am running 2 text only consoles. I like the no-nonsense feel of it. Do I HAVE to have one GUI and one console? Seems to be working with 2 text only.

Dragon, I saw Electron Microscope somewhere but don't remember where. Do you have a link? And is there a Linux version?
    edited March 2005
    I now have my windows machine setup up so one Core is using 50% and the other 24%. The remaining 26% is for system idle process.
    edited March 2005
    Dragon, I saw Electron Microscope somewhere but don't remember where. Do you have a link? And is there a Linux version?

Disregard that noob question. I found it. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2005
    Noob here. Been out of the loop of computer for quiet some time due to picking up guitar and WoW. but besides that this is an extremely good cuase and would like to help but have no idea how to set this thing up, what folding is, etc. So I will be checking out the page provided in the first thread and will go from there Great Cause will support as best i can!
    edited March 2005
    Liquid, just to confirm. IF you like the GUI, great, but you can only run 1.

If you rather the no-nonsense set-up, run 2 of these. To clarify.....Only run 1 GUI and 1 console or as an alternative, 2 consoles.

EMIII and I don't see eye to eye for some reason. Just as well the Handbrake worked it out. :D
    edited March 2005
    Hi stik. Great to have you onboard with the BEST team and forum. :thumbsup:

Any questions you may have about folding, like how to set it up, what does what, etc, fire away. Lots of knowledge to be found here. Not just folding, but anything. Computers, music, cars, all sorts.

When you do set up folding, make sure you put down number 93 for team Short-Media.

Thanks for wanting to assist in F:fold:LDING for humanity. :)

F:fold:LD on. :smokin:

Jon
    edited March 2005
    This is awesome. I honestly didn't expect such a great response to the email. Thanks for joining, everyone!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    For all you new folks, (and those returning to Team 93 after a layoff), keep an eye on the Notable Milestones Forum. We honor each teammate individually for 1,000 points, 2K, 3K, 4K, etc. The awards spread out a little after 5,000 points, but get even neater as you go along.

We appreciate each and every one of you. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    Welcome stik. The quick and dirty guide is a short and simple explanation way to set up FAH.

Liquid81: Make sure to have both processes at the same priority. Having one at high and another on Nomal or Low might make it not use the full potential of your HT P4. Plus make sure they are both at Low or both at Idle in the FAH setup.
    edited March 2005
    Here's a team 93 fold for life wallpaper I made. If anybody wants any custom resolutions, let me know, I have the source files.

1024x768

1280x1024

1440x900

1600x1200
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    bothered wrote:
    Could you make the links in the first post a different colour so they stand out as links?
    I've made them bright blue so they'll be more obvious. Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I forgot this thread was unlocked :)
  • securitywonkssecuritywonks Asia - Pacific
    edited March 2005
    what is the SHORT-MEDIA team number??????

I had installed it, something is running out there, I find red coloured gear like thing in the tray location.

SETI@HOME is more comfortable having, this is slightly confusing to me, may be I am in hurry to see how it works,
    edited March 2005
    Team# 93, securitywonks. :thumbsup:

Thanks for joining in. :)
  • edited March 2005
    I am pretty sure that it is not working for me. Followed the quick setup guide but how can i be sure that it is up and running, is there a monitor? did i even download the right client from the download page...well i dont recall the name but it was the newest release 5.02 i believe. Let me know ASAP so i can become something other then last in the folding race :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    There's a free F@H monitor called Electron Microscope. Alternately, you can check the FAHlog.txt in the folder where you installed the client.
    edited March 2005
    If you installed as a service, it hides itself on purpose so it's not in your way. Kwitko's suggestions are excellent. The super-fast method to just make sure it's running is to hit ctrl+alt+del and click on Task Manager. There should be a process called FahCore with a number after it taking up 90-99% of your CPU. That means it's running :)
  • edited March 2005
    Currently I have a W98 and a W95 folding their little cpus away.
    I just installed FAH on a thired box(W95) but it said
    FAH would not start because it could not find "opengl32.dll"
    My question is, can I pull that .dll file from one W95 and put on another? :scratch:
    Any ideas on what it does also? :confused:

Thanks
    Tom
    edited March 2005
    Tom, I would try installing the latest video drivers and the latest directX that you are able to find for Windows 95, and that should take care of the problem.

OpenGL is a graphics subsystem - most likely what F@H uses to draw the proteins on screen. If you can't get it working, you may be limited to the console (text only) version.
    edited March 2005
    OpenGL is a graphics API.

What it means regarding your Folding is that your video card and/or driver can't handle the program.

What video card do you have in the machine in question?

EDIT: The phone rang and I posted late. Good to see that prime was Johnny-On-The-Spot. :)
  • edited March 2005
    Prime, Prof
    The puter is approx. 10yrs old 166Mhz 80Mb ram.
    Don't have the brand name of the video but the label says
    3D-64Bit PCI Local Slot W/2mb ram.
    I think I will try the (txt only)

tom
    edited March 2005
    You probably want the "deadlineless" WU's on that machine. ;)
  • edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    You probably want the "deadlineless" WU's on that machine. ;)

I got the txt version working.

I did not see an option for "deadlineless".
    I tried to uninstall it but I could't find where it gets installed to.
    So where does the work get stored?

Also tried to uninstall the console version and got that it was corupt
    (uninstall exe)
    Do you think I can just del the folder?

Thanks
    tom
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    The console/text version doesnt install, it just runs wherever you download the file to.

Try and go to the add/remove programs list and see if the FAH Gui is in there. Otherwise you can just leave it.

You have to say yes to advanced options to get to the deadlines option.
  • edited April 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    The console/text version doesnt install, it just runs wherever you download the file to.

Try and go to the add/remove programs list and see if the FAH Gui is in there. Otherwise you can just leave it.

You have to say yes to advanced options to get to the deadlines option.

Yep, txt version opens a dos window. I deleted the downloaded txt.exe
    after the first the first instal and re-downloaded and kick it off again
    but it did not prompt for any inputs, went right into working.
    I guess it sets up some tmp file some place. I put the exe file in a seperate folder and I did not see anything but the exe.

It tried to remove the FAH Gui both ways, in the add/remove programs
    and under the progarm file. Both tell me the file is corrupt or a virus
    I'll pull it out reg startup and del the files

Thanks for you response :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    Tom, our team captain, mmonnin, has a solution for you. Make sure and say "No" to big WU's, otherwise you'll want to follow the advice given above. I've been in the same boat myself - this ought to get you going.

Good luck. :)
    edited April 2005
    Spread the word, new folders! :) I bet you have a friend or two who'd be happy to know about the project :cool:
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited October 2005
    I just started folding again and am using conky as a monitor
    edited October 2005
    Welcome back, res0r9lm! :thumbsup::fold: