I think ive got it, check PC for me please!

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Ok, hey, ive posted a couple times that i was going to build a computer. Now i think ive got the final build. Below are the listed components that i think im going to be using. I believe that everything on the list is compatible but double check for me please, and make sure everything on there is good please. I was kind of iffy on the hard drive being it was so cheap, and i dont much about power supplies, just check everything for me please. Thank you

The List

Case
ANTEC Performance Plus Metallic Gray SOHO File Server Case without Power Supply, Model "PlusView1000AMG $80.50
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-124&depa=0

Motherboard
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-152&depa=0

Video Card
Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/HDTV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "PX6600GT TDH" -RETAIL (SLI support) $187
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-201&depa=1

Power Supply
OCZ ModStream 450W Power Supply with OCZ EZMod technology, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ45012U" -RETAIL $88
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-154&depa=0

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail $267
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-514&depa=0

Hard Drive
IS THIS DRIVE BULL$HIT? Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722516VLSA80 Part# 13G0254, OEM Drive Only $88.50
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-051&depa=0

DVD-RW Drive
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Silver, Model ND-3520A, OEM $57.50
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-040&depa=0

Memory(ill get an additional stick of same kind when i get more money)

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Gold Edition VX 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-4000 -Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-205&depa=1

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    here is your first problem, your selected video card is an AGP video card, and your selected motherboard doresn't even have an AGP slot.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited March 2005
    <steven moment>OMFG! Jesus. Ok, i tried posting this thread earlier but i guess i hit preview instead of post and then exited out. I was in a hurry to get everything together again, ill go fix that,,lol. But does everything ELSE look alright?</steven moment> :o
    edited April 2005
    bump
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited April 2005
    looks like a nice system.
    edited April 2005
    I was iffy on the power supply and the hard drive, anyone know anything about those 2?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I wouldn't be much help with the Power Supply part, but I will offer my opinion about the hard drive.

The specs look good enough. Nothing spectacular, but then you're not having to pay for "spectacular" either. I wouldn't be opposed to trying one of those in my own system.

As for reliability, there will likely be a stampede of folks telling me I'm wrong, but I've come to feel that in this day and age of HD quality most brands are relatively even. Years back, most drives came with a five-year warranty. Then the industry average was lowered to three years. These days, a one-year warranty (like the one for this drive) is typical. HD's have become cheap enough (while simultaneously becoming somewhat mediocre in quality) to the point where they are almost considered disposable items. For roughly 50 cents a GB I guess you can't expect too much. For myself at least, I look for specs up to snuff for the job at hand and then pretty much go by price. I've had good drives from all the major manufacturers (except IBM, when they still made them), and my share of duds as well.

Speaking of IBM, I don't know if you're familiar with the Deskstar fiasco, but it was so bad that IBM eventually threw in the towel and sold their HD division to Hitachi. Some people will turn up their nose when they hear the word "Hitachi" because they associate it with IBM. Personally, Hitachi has been very fair with me regarding warranties on my numerous dead IBM HD's, even replacing them with larger Hitachi branded drives in a couple of cases. I've had no problem with the Hitachi drives themselves.

No matter what drive you get (and that's a nice price for the one you've chosen, BTW) you would be crazy not to backup your data on a regular basis. :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I have had several Hitachi drives, particularly the SATA type and they have been great. Hitachi has pretty much redesigned all their drives since aquiring the division from IBM. That is probably a great bang for your dollar!

While the PSU you picked will work OK for right now it won't allow for as much overclocking as a bigger one and wouldn't be good if you later decide to upgrade to a higher end Nvidia video card. So for better overclocking and money better spent for future upgradeability I ould highly recomend a bit more on the PSU.

I don't know how many times I've done it or seen others do it, buy one stick now then later on find out the memory they got is no longer available. If you go that route you should dedicate yourself to getting another as soon as possible.

Overall it all looks great but do recomend considering making the changes recomended. On the other hand the new core revisions will be out shortly and that could also give you the chance to save some more cash to make the recomended changes as well as get a better vid card. I would recomend one with a 256 bit transfer rate as opposed to a 128 bit (not to be confused with 128 or 256mb) transfer rate vid card. I know how itchy the urge to upgrade can get but if you can hold out a little till you have the cash to get more of what you really want you will be much happier in the end. :thumbsup:
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited April 2005
    I have 2 of those exact hard drives in RAID 0.. they work just fine.
    edited April 2005
    Ok, i will look into a better power supply. I thought that one would have been enough, which one would you reccommend?(i plan on overclocking and upgrading the vid card)
    edited April 2005
    I have not heard any complaints from the Powerstream 520 owners. I would also suggest the SUPER FLOWER 550W PLUG-N 14CM MODULAR as i am building a second rig similar to the one I now have and going with one of those. (great price too!)
    edited April 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    I have had several Hitachi drives, particularly the SATA type and they have been great. Hitachi has pretty much redesigned all their drives since aquiring the division from IBM. That is probably a great bang for your dollar!

While the PSU you picked will work OK for right now it won't allow for as much overclocking as a bigger one and wouldn't be good if you later decide to upgrade to a higher end Nvidia video card. So for better overclocking and money better spent for future upgradeability I ould highly recomend a bit more on the PSU.

I don't know how many times I've done it or seen others do it, buy one stick now then later on find out the memory they got is no longer available. If you go that route you should dedicate yourself to getting another as soon as possible.

Overall it all looks great but do recomend considering making the changes recomended. On the other hand the new core revisions will be out shortly and that could also give you the chance to save some more cash to make the recomended changes as well as get a better vid card. I would recomend one with a 256 bit transfer rate as opposed to a 128 bit (not to be confused with 128 or 256mb) transfer rate vid card. I know how itchy the urge to upgrade can get but if you can hold out a little till you have the cash to get more of what you really want you will be much happier in the end. :thumbsup:

About the video card..... I have contributed a lot of my time reading about the various video cards and their performance to price comparison. From what i read from about 3 different sites, the 6600gt outperforms the radeon 9800 pro in numerous situations. I believe I will take your suggestion on the power supply and get the powerstream 520 or whatever it is, preety expensive but it's worth it. Only a couple more months and i should have my pc :D
    edited April 2005
    couple months?? then alot of your hardwares will be outdated by then ;D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The 6600GT is faster than anything in the 9x00 series, but not by much. In a game of percentages, however, fractions are still fractions and winning a test is still winning no matter how slight the margin.

Be that as it may, in a "Few months," all those parts will be obsolete. Not in performance, but in the sense that better things are bound to have come along and dropped to the same price as that rig would cost you now.
    edited April 2005
    true, thats why im waiting to buy it all at once. I purchased the case earlier tonight, i cant wait to see the processors go down in price when the new cores are released.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited April 2005
    Looks good, but watch for some of the new stuff coming out with in the next few months. Might find something you like. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    leishi85 wrote:
    couple months?? then alot of your hardwares will be outdated by then ;D

While my hardware will be "outdated" it will be cheaper. I just received my case today and i am very pleased, nothing like being able to sit there and stare at it... :rolleyes:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I remember reading years ago that, as a rule of thumb, you get the most bang for the buck by buying the 3rd-best piece of hardware on the market. The logic behind that is that with the top-of-the-line item you are paying a premium for l337ness. The second-best CPU (or video card, whatever) will usually be priced high enough that by the time you talk yourself into it you decide to just go whole-hog and get the best. The price drop comes with number three on the list.

You've picked out some nice stuff. Your best bet is that the latest-and-greatest hardware out a few months from now will drive down the price on what you've already selected. Unless a person is filthy rich, it's a good strategy. :)
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited April 2005
    You'll need an accurate way to measure temperature
    both ambient and processor.
    then adjust Fan RPM to achieve correct Delta T

This works for me
    edited April 2005
    i need to learn to stick with one setup, i keep on talking myself into getting the next more powerful thing. Im going to stick with this for sure, maybe making a few minor changes. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    that few minro changes might turn into the leetest graphic or 2 gigs of ram. hahaha
    edited April 2005
    true, thats why im waiting to buy it all at once. I purchased the case earlier tonight, i cant wait to see the processors go down in price when the new cores are released.
    I would highly recomend getting the newer core chip as the older 'current' cores won't be that much cheaper and the new ones will be a more solid investment.