UT - Any help...

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited August 2003 in Gaming
...for a klutz?

If anyone knows of a good UT gameplay tip site I would appreciate it. I'm looking for any ideas which might make me a better player. (I have nowhere to go but up...)

I promise to frag you quickly and painlessly if I learn anything. :tongue:

Any controller/preferences tips would be nice, too.

Thanks! :wave:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Best tip in the world:

Just play.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Try the Unreal Tournament.com website ;)

They actually have n00b, intermediate and expert guides :D

http://www.unrealtournament.com
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited August 2003
    Basically just jump around and try not to get shot.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Slick said
    Basically just jump around and try not to get shot.

and shoot other people at the same time :D
    edited August 2003
    Not so quick young grasshopper. He must first master the art of evasive jumping, than progress to killing.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    Play the single player, start on skilled, then once you've completed it, do it again on the next level up, repeat until you have completed the game on godlike.

I think you'll find once you've done that, you'll be a much better player.;)
    edited August 2003
    a) don't move around enough, then when I do I just race around aimlessly
    b) can't jump worth a lick
    c) use poor weapon selection

A) Follow your speakers! If you have 4.1 sound and a decent card, run to the direction of the sound, and move to the place where it gets the loudest. The action is there, and it means you can surprise people and jack some kills.

B) Jumping sucks

C) Go for the flak grenade first if you have it, then the rocket launcher. Anything that explodes is the best. The least effective weapons in deathmatch are single-shot weapons (sniper rifle, ASMD shock rifle) unless you're exceedingly good at that type. Go for any chain-gun style weapon after the explosives....Die otherwise. ;D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    A) Follow your speakers! If you have 4.1 sound and a decent card, run to the direction of the sound, and move to the place where it gets the loudest. The action is there, and it means you can surprise people and jack some kills.

That is probably one of the single most important things you can do in UT.

Listen. Also helps you know when someone is a bit too close behind you and it's time to cut your losses/frags and start dodging!
    edited August 2003
    Prof, as thrax said, last night you were getting increasingly better, at one point you even had a higher score than me while we were bot raping. I would say your main problem was how much you did not move around. I found you so many times camped out in a corner waiting for someone to walk by. You prolly have a better chance of killing someone jumping around firing flak everywhere in teh area around you than standing still, because when you are standing still you are an easy target, and most those guys can pick them off in a snap.

As for explosive weapons, I personally like to run into battle wiht a sniper rifle and hear the announcer yell HEAD SHOT! HEAD SHOT!, you should probably go with thrax suggestion though as he was owning us all....
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2003
    one extra thing, if youre playing 2k3, ALWAYS lob off the grenades in your main gun b4 anything else. they;re quite good, and often ignored
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    B) Jumping sucks
    I beg to differ. Jumping can save your ass when you're getting shot at with a rocket launcher or a flank gun thingy (;D).
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Yeah jumping is very useful for that.

Also I agree on moving around. A lot of FPSes like CS and such are very camping-oriented. At least, camping can get you somewhere and is not very difficult. But for UT the key is to keep moving. Always. Spam rockets for the hell of it; maybe someone will walk around the corner and get killed because they can never dodge in time. It's the way UT works I guess.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited August 2003
    Here's a tip for ya...Evolve and play BF1942 instead of UT2K3.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    Heres a tip: Your ass and my face. :D

Oh Im sorry, guess that was a match but you wanted a tip.

well you are in luck cause I have 2 very good ones. Dont tell too many about these though or everyone will be a pro.

Change the double click time for dodgeing so you dont have to click so fast to dodge.

heres another: go download the bright skins mod. Helps you see your target.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    TheBaron said
    one extra thing, if youre playing 2k3, ALWAYS lob off the grenades in your main gun b4 anything else. they;re quite good, and often ignored

Excellent point, Just lob them into a crowd, and collect a few easy frags!!:thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    Bright skins are bad. It's called "Exploiting" where I come from.

Dodging is essentially worthless once you pattern people's playing styles. Within 3 minutes I can develop a profile of how people move and what weapons they use. I adjust accordingly...Without dodging. You can learn if they aim short or long, use explosives with an arc or a straight line, bullet-based weapons. You can learn if they jump or duck, if they strafe, prefer being above you when they kill you, etc.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    What is this double-click dodging of which you speak?

*too much MST3K
    edited August 2003
    double click strafe left or right and you take a leap in the direction you pressed.