Setting Default Browsers for different users

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
On my home computer, I am running Windows XP Home.

I prefer Firefox. I prefer that when I click in a link in an e-mail (such as a subscribed thread reply e-mails, prviate message notifications, etc) that it opens in Firefox.

My wife, despite my efforts to convince her otherwise, prefers Internet Explorer. She is active on a web forum for scrapbooking, her favourite hobby, which she is quite good at I might add. She also receives subscribed thread reply e-mails, prviate message notifications, etc, from that forum. When she clicks them in her XP profile, she wants them to open in Internet Explorer.

Theoretically, one would think that in each user's profile, you would simply go to the Set Program Access and Defaults control panel, and set the default browser to be different for each user.

Not so. When I set my default to Firefox, it changes her profile's default. When we go in her profile and set the default to Internet Explorer, it changes my default.

I have been given the ultimatum to fix this. It was sent in an e-mail this morning, complete with bold purple letters and some profanity for emphasis ;D

You have to understand that with being at home all day with 2 very demanding babies, my wife's computer time is limited, and so anything that drives her nuts and slows her down on the computer results in bold purple e-mails to me. I'm supposed to be the computer genius in the family, I should be able to fix this...or else... ;)

So, please help me regain my status as the computer genius in the family, and end the bold purple e-mails. How do I get XP Home to recognize a different default browser for each user? How can I block FF from defaulting in her profile?

Or do I just give up, let IE be the global default, and copy and paste my URL's from e-mails.

Any help appreciated...the bold purple e-mails are very unnerving.....

Dexter...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    <b><font color=purple>BPEMs</b></font>
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    oh no, I see a new piece of short-media history being born at this very second

i hereby decree that hereto forthwith and forthrightly, all angry and peevish comments shall herefore and thereto be rightly shown in bold purple letters. Herewithto and forthwithrightly.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Perhaps there is a registry edit that can be made per-user to accomplish this?

//edit: I found this which apparently accomplishes that task.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    Ah, GH, you may have just saved me from further BPEM's ;D

Thanks bud, I 'll give it a try tonight.

Dexter...

EDIT: Worked like a charm, simple to use. Great find!