Windows Update Help

GobdGobd Seattle, WA
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
This is a re-post of what i posted at Icrontic the day before it went down, i posted it there and when i came back to check it, *poof* the forums were gone.

Ok, so when i go to windows update on one of my computers it will scan for updates and find a LOT but it will never start to download then. I click download and it just gets stuck on "Preparing to download..." i've let it sit there for about 15 minutes but it never gets started. Whats the problem here?

I don't think the cd key is the problem though, i use the same cd key on both of my computers and the other computer will do windows update just fine.

1st post in software forum too

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Buddy, I have a similar problem. I had windows set to auto-update. Every single day it would pop up and say new updates were availible. I would click ok, install. It would act like it was installing, then tell me to reboot. Everyday it did this, but I don't think it ever installed a new piece of software. NOTE: I believe this was caused by restore and recovery, because it only started happening after I did a restore and recovery.

I turned auto-updates off after this. Dunno what to tell you :(.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    I'm pretty sure its not caused my a restore and recovery, becuause i've done that many times before (with built in windows and with goback) but it still worked. I've never used auto-update, this just happens when i go the the site and update myself.

Hopefully when more people get here someone can help me out.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Firewall problem? Are you sure its allowed to go thru. I think its some type of security issue not allowing you to connect.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    What OS? Wouldn't this go under software?

[edit]do'h! didn't realize I was a mod here too :o [/edit]
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    Firewall problem? Are you sure its allowed to go thru. I think its some type of security issue not allowing you to connect.

Couln't be firewall because i have tried it with my firewall off and it didn't work either, and my other computer is connected through the exact same firewall and it works fine.

and blackhawk its WinXP Pro
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    [edit]Link removed cause it was incorrect[/edit]
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    That site just says thanks you interest? How is that supposed to help me?...
    edited June 2003
    Maybe he meant this?

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/

Hehe I could use a few more updates.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk
    is a wee bit clumsy today icon_chair.gif
    Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    is a wee bit clumsy today icon_chair.gif
    edited June 2003
    Actually... that's not it mmonnin. It's a Corp version where you manually download the updates and install them.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    Yeah mmonnin the link you posted is just the normal windows update :) Mind finding a link to the corp thing for me blackhawk?
    edited June 2003
    And just searched Google and it looks like it was taking down :(

[edit]Wasn't taking down but I guess the only way to access it is by entering the normal windows update then clicking "Personlize Windows Update" that's on the left, clicking what says "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also" and then it should say "Windows Update Catalog" on the left.
  • edited June 2003
    I had this problem once, and as silly as this is going to sound this is what solved it, tools and then internet options and then look at languages if it's blank add whatever language is applicable, then look at your date settings. silly I know but it fixed it for me.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    blackhawk the catolog thing doesn't work :( i just tried that

and chaosmaker i checked my language options and english (en-us) was already there
    edited June 2003
    System Restore to when it did work?
    edited June 2003
    If you want to add them in one by one. Go to the link I posted above, find what you need to update and then search Microsoft.com.

Like I need this Patch. It has a number: 813489.

Link to Patch. Download is on the left and choose your IE version.

It will take alonger than the auto windows update but I think you should be able to find them all and download them.

OT: Found this as one of the IE versions.

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 for Windows XP SP1 64-bit Edition
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    System Restore to when it did work?

It hasn't worked for more then 4 months or so...

mmonnin said
    If you want to add them in one by one. Go to the link I posted above, find what you need to update and then search Microsoft.com.

Like I need this Patch. It has a number: 813489.

Link to Patch. Download is on the left and choose your IE version.

It will take alonger than the auto windows update but I think you should be able to find them all and download them.

OT: Found this as one of the IE versions.

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 for Windows XP SP1 64-bit Edition

I've used that method before and the only updates left are the ones that i can't find by searching like that
    edited June 2003
    They should have some type of explanation/documentation for each download. Thus a search should find it.

I dont know but are they stored on computer after they are downloaded or are they deleted once they are installed by the Update program?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I sometimes have to wait about 30mins for the windows update to start, no idea why.

NS
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2003
    Do you have a temp dir on your computer? Where does the file go when its downloading? It sounds as if a something is either not present or not configured.

Check you system settings. What browser are you using?
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    FOUND THE FIX! It worked on my computer at least, here it is for the other people that have this problem to try:
    1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."

2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."

3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.

Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly
    associated:

1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then
    click "File Types."

2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."

3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*
    This is for a Windows XP computer.

For Windows 2000 substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\.

For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition substitute this: C:\WINDOWS\System\ forC:\Windows\system32.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Great, glad you got it sorted. Though I have actually a little confession to make. I had the exact same problem only two days ago, found the fix and sorted it (the same one as below). I completely forgot about this thread, or rather I had made the mistake in thinking that you had a different problem with Windows Update.

Sorry, I could have saved you the hassle of having to find it yourself. I'll be more alert next time.

On the subject though, I never found out what caused the problem to occur, did you?
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2003
    probably a program changed the file association/files