Leaking capacitors in my iMac G5

2»

Comments

• edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    It was the European Swallow, that's my point. :mullet:

You mean the Europeans swallow? :p;D:ninja:

Prime, any update on when Apple will have your replacement parts?

And until it's fixed, you might want to change your label under your name to "Killed my iMac, did I?" :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Well yes the plates hold the charge. Once there is so much charge then the current can flow, but not before that certain point.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Fringe capacitance, e=mc2, whatever. My caps a splode.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Electrolyte.

Screw Gatorade, just take a lick off the caps, prime ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Current only flows at a constant voltage when the dielectric breaks down - ruining your cap. This is why caps are rated at a maximum voltage.

Current can flow if the voltage is time-varying (Ic(t) = C * dVc/dt). A capacitor looks like a resistor at high frequencies, with resistance proportional to frequency.
    edited May 2005
    One week update:

No update :rant:

Nothing, nada, no news, no ship date == me thinking about "switching" back. I need to get work done, and being held to proprietary motherboards sucks my ass :shakehead
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Apple ain't all it's cracked up to be, eh?

I think there's an important lesson to be learned here- Apple sucks ass.
    edited May 2005
    Dammit. Apple should just be a software company. OS X is so much better than WinXP. This crap really burns me up.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    uh oh the resident mac convert didnt like the switch, uh ohs. But he must get in his jab about OSX being "so much better than WinXP" I like being able to run my operating system on my computer though without having to rely on a single company to get me back up and running..... :D

sorry prime, I wuv you
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Dammit. Apple should just be a software company. OS X is so much better than WinXP. This crap really burns me up.
    Well theres always Debian for us pc users. :D
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2005

Just use style XP and a dock program with a OS Tiger scheme or something. I can give you all three if you want.
    edited May 2005
    It's not exactly the same... It's not just the GUI that's better, but thanks :D
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well it certainly doesn't run any faster, fascista.
    edited June 2005
    I got it back. Revision B midboard (logic board? motherboard?) so hopefully no more issues with teh exploding caps.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2005
    yea apple isnt the only company with cheap capacitors.....believe it or not, my xbox started to get really really messed up, it would randomly shut off, the games would freeze ect. I do alot of modding so it was my instinct to open it up and i saw a leaking capacitor :eek: Yea but lucky for me, I purchased a failed mod attempt mobo on ebay for $10 and I was just gonna use it for spare parts and it actually came in handy :D And the best part was, the mobo i bought, and the one in my xbox were the same version, so i just snipped off the capacitor on the xbox, and soldered it back onto my board :cool:

the moral of the story is, YOU could be next..
  • edited March 2006
    I removed one of these dodgy looking caps today and measured it with a capacitance meter, would you believe it showed a normal 1800uF but when I connected it across a 5V PSU, it drew 2.5 amps constantly:scratch: . These caps are virtually impossible to desolder because the tracks to which they are attached act like big heatsinks so the soldering iron loses it's heat very quickly. The strange thing is that the DC rails read normal voltages on the multimeter and with very little ac noise present. I'm at a loss with this board.:banghead:
  • edited March 2006
    Had the same thing happen on my old KT7A-Raid, I called the company that made the caps and they sent me a handfull of replacements that didnt look like the originals. Thay were made by "Jackcon". They were 1500uF 6.3 volts.
    edited June 2010
    Follow up:

The motherboard had been replaced, of course. I opened it today to pull the RAM out, and guess what:

MORE LEAKING CAPS.

Wtfail. Right in the trash. A final testament to Apple's bad choices in hardware and philosophy. If this were a PC, I could replace the motherboard and still have a working 1.8ghz, relatively modern extra PC for the house. As it stands, I'm pulling the RAM and HD out and putting them in a PC for my son.

I spent $1400 on that thing in 2005. I regret the choice. No upgrade path, Apple fucked me over by dropping all support for PowerPC, and there is nothing I can do with this hardware. Scrapyard.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I hope that when you say "right in the trash" you mean you took it to the local electronics disposal place.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Save it for EPIC. I'll take it off your hands a la that busted GameCube.
    edited June 2010
    shwaip: What are you, some kind of hippy?

dras: no problem, it's all yours
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Prime, I'd reconsider giving that Drasnor that iMac. I think he's creating Skynet out of old computer parts.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Even worse: he's going to combine the two and make the world's best gaming Mac.
    edited June 2010
    Sweet!
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Electrolyte. The ionized fluid that holds and stores an electrical charge.
    edited June 2010
    Hey primesuspect, you wouldn't happen to still have the hard drive sensor and bracket at your place somewhere? The sensor would've been taped to the drive.