ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I've seen these "structures" and I can vouch for them. I've been in one during a downpour and wind storm in the middle of a field. Yeah, it was scary... Yeah, I thought the thing would collapse, but it didn't. These things are made to last and people don't want to spend money on these things to have them collapse during weddings or church gatherings. We're not in an open field and the weather in Detroit is different than mid Mich. and Wisconsin. They are more like Ohio really....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    The tent is designed to hold **** like bands and weddings.. Even in inclement weather.

Stop being a whiny bitch, entropy!
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited May 2005
    Hey penguin, lets not forget Rivers...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'd like to, but I spent too much money on my vacation a couple weeks ago. Too long to drive, too expensive to fly :(
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    11 1/2hrs drive...hmmm might be possible...
    edited May 2005
    From last year...I don't game much. I'm older than the average S-M member.... I drove 5 hours and got 8 hours of sleep over a 72 hr period.

WELL WORTH IT!!!!! I'm a stronger S-M Member because of it. These guys were good online people before. Now they are friends and kindred spirits.

"I love you guys" :bawling:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ..."I love you guys" :bawling:
    Oh, man...

Now you've got me all misty-eyed. :bawling:
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited May 2005
    very true. it was nice to be able to meet all the people who came in person.

don't worry prime. theres still time for people to sign up. by the way, if 40 people do come, how will you be powering the structure?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Looks like there's a potential "missouri carpool" - Fatcat6, riverscuomo, park_7677, and penguin_5333 :wtf:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Since I'm stuck at home this summer, I need to clear this with the parents - and make sure that I'll have a car capable of getting me there. I'll see what's planned.

But I'm planning on going.

When will the games list be finalized so I can buy (either "buy" or buy) them
    edited May 2005
    Well, so far I can assure you that we will be playing:

UT2K4
    Half Life 2 MP

Some flavor of BF - if BF2 is out by then, maybe that - but if not, most definitely desert combat.
    edited May 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    We Nexlians are still undecided. We don't make decisions very quickly.

Yeah, that whole hive mind thing can be annoying sometimes ;D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    We don't know what you mean by that...
    edited May 2005
    Another downside to Hive Mind thing... Limited dictionary running on 8 MB of EDO memory... :D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Anyone wanna lend me the £894($1,632) for the frigging air-fare :mad:

Watch out any brits trying to get tickets around that week, it's peak time and damn expensive! Flying from London is even more!

All the talk about this years Lan is really making me jealous & wanting to be there. The price of filghts has come down a bit to £616 return but it's still way too expensive for me.

So can I suggest that if it happens next year you don't hold it in the months of July & August, if at all possible, cos the cost of flights literally doubles during these months. Before or after July/Aug you can get a flight for £350 return which is much more reasonable.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    I take it my suggestion to hold it in Manchester fell on deaf ears then? It's not too late.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Entropy: As prime said, weather isn't an issue at this event. Also, I can loan you headphones and a keyboard for the weekend if needed.
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited June 2005
    Looks like there's a potential "missouri carpool" - Fatcat6, riverscuomo, park_7677, and penguin_5333 :wtf:

Lol ill join in as well if there is room..... :D
    edited June 2005
    okay, so one of you missourians needs to take up the reigns and get the thing organized so you can all get here :D
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Alright, all the Missouri people hit me up with contact info so we can try and plan this out. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    My info is sent...I forgot to include my AIM S/N though. Its R1V3R5Cuomo

Or you can just look to the left a little under my avatar...whatever floats your boat

Ross has the PARTY VAN :celebrate

never mind.... well be all out of gas money by the time we get out of missouri.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I take it my suggestion to hold it in Manchester fell on deaf ears then?
    Yeah, just as Alaska!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Brian - I'm wondering what the power accomodations will be? I'm pretty certain that the standard 100A service line to a home won't be able to support 40 PCs all running concurrently, if the house itself is using any power.

I used an estimate of 175W of power consumption for a PC with monitor. If I'm way off base here, somebody tell me.

OK, now, there will be about 40 PCs there. 40 PCs * 175W = 7000W

And if we remember from our schooling, W = V * A and in the US, we use 110V systems, so 7000W/110V = 63A

Assuming your house has the fairly standard 100A service, 63% of it will be used by the 40 PCs running in the back yard. Are you planning on hooking up a temporary upgrade with the electric company?

Just checking! :scratch:

//edit: Also, how is all this power getting out into the yard? Even if the house has enough service to support 40 PCs on top of the appliances already in it, we can't just jack off of a single extension cord, or it would blow the circuit. Electricians usually wire circuits to 80% capacity, that is, 8 outlets assuming 100W average usage per outlet. That means a single circuit can probably sustain 1000W without blowing the breaker, or 1/7 of my conservative estimate on the power used by our PCs.

My main reason for coming is definitely to hang out with everyone. But if the PCs can run that would be good too. ;)
    edited June 2005
    Not as important as power but.....

WHO'S MAKING THE BADGES??? :cool:
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Well, so far I can assure you that we will be playing:

UT2K4
    Half Life 2 MP

Some flavor of BF - if BF2 is out by then, maybe that - but if not, most definitely desert combat.

If you come up with a definite list let me know, being as horrible as I am at actually playing games, I'll volunteer to keep the servers in order again, the more I can set up in advance, the more fun can be had.

plus I'll need to fix it so that team pink wins this time.

m
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I think GH's power estimate might be a bit low. Here's what I see as the range of power consumption that we should anticipate:

Tower PS:
    low: 300w high: 440w (lower while running if folding is disabled)

Monitor:
    low (LCD): 25-30w high(CRT):100-150w

Extras:
    low(none):0w high(UPS + some powered perifs.):50w? (I'm not sure on this one)

This gives a consumption range of 275-750. That makes the mean consumption around 500w per person.

This might be a high estimate (more than half of us might have LCD monitors, or we might turn off folding for the weekend... although, if I remember DeeBee's correctly, almost everyone had a CRT, and about half of us had UPSs), but we should be prepared for the high estimate.

With the full compliment of 40, that would be 20,000w or nearly 185a on a 110v system.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Truefully that is my only concern to keep me from coming.
    It sounds like it will be a blast up there, but if there is not enough power to run the computers then it is just a camping trip with a lot of weenies and I don't want my buns infiltrated :p
    So, what is the word on the power issue?
    edited June 2005
    I'm going to have an electrician look at it. I had already discussed bringing mains power from my breaker right out to the tent with a couple of dedicated 30amp circuits. I already have a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the yard.

I also have discussed with my neighbor tapping into his power. One of my neighbors said "no problem" and i have yet to broach the subject with the other yet. That gives us another 20-60 amps right off the bat.

Extension cords for power will be 30amp commercial grade cords for the main power feeds.

I'll let you know as I have updates.
    edited June 2005
    I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that electric bill...
    Sounds like it's all going to work out great :thumbsup:
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Alright so I have Rivers and Zero that for sure want to tag along with me. Right now, Zero and I are waiting on the big OK from the parents to make the trip out there.

Hey Prime, do you think my mom could give you a call? She's worried because she doesn't know who you are. ;D

Hopefully my $20 will soon be in the PayPal account.