Win & Office 2000

Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
edited June 2005 in Science & Tech
I am having the hardest time installing Office 2000 on a bunch of Windows 2000 Pro desktops in a lab. The installation of Windows 2000 is unique, I have created a multi-boot CD with different configurations (users, winnt.sif, group policies) to automatically install, so, I have looked into that as being the cause but there is nothing really pointing to it.

I get the messge "Error 1931. The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file." I've googled and there are references to such error but nothing that give me any clues to what my problem is. This describes the error but there they get the error pointing to the actually file it is having trouble with. In my case it doesn't give any path/file.

I've disabled all group policies and anything else customized by my Windows 2000 CD and it still wont work. All are done under Admin with no restrictions. We have about 40 computers to install this on and have gotten no where. Any help would be appriciated. :)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Apart from Google, did you search for the 1931 error at Microsoft's site? (I'm sure you did, but just had to ask.)
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Yeah I've searched MS. Basically they say: "CAUSE
    This behavior may occur when all of the following conditions are true:
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5, Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 SP1 or Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 SP2 is installed on the computer.
    • Your operating system is Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional or Microsoft Windows 2000 Server. "

Except we're updated to IE 6 SP1 and all updates are current. I've tried uninstalling MS Installer 3.1 (suggested) but it gives the same error. Every result on Google and MS seems to give a file which cannot be updated, however I am not given that much info in my error. The Windows 2000 CDs are SP4, so we're going to try a non-SP CD tomorrow from scratch and see if the results vary.

Thanks for any help! :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Park_7677 wrote:
    ...I get the messge "Error 1931. The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file."...
    You could try killing any unnecessary services and give it another shot. It could be that Windows sees something in use and won't let you change it. That would be odd, though. I'm still using Office 2000 myself (on WinXP) and it doesn't even ask me to reboot after it's installed. :confused:
  • Zero1Zero1 Independence, MO
    edited June 2005
    We have also been suggested, Park and myself, to try and reinstall SP4 fresh and then load MS Office 2k.

That suggestion has puzzled me some what, only because now that we are already in SP4 wouldnt the same error occur?

As Park said before any help would be greatly appriciated.