Help, Trojans Found!

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Okay, everything has been fine on my computer (Windows ME), until today, when I turned it on, and a whole bunch of my desktop items are gone, the targets of some of the files are empty, and clicking the startup menu does nothing. I am connected online via DSL, and everytime I click Internet Explorer, I just keep getting a security message that wants to know if I will allow cookies.

I went into safe mode, and found everything to be the same, so I ran AVG AntiVirus (I read it was recomendded on this site) from My Comp>Program Files>etc, and it found the Trojan "Downloader.Small.14.AF" 3 times and the Trojan "Dropper.Surfside.A" 2 times, in different folders of C:\_Restore\Archive. The problem is, after the scan completes, the antivirus just closes and everything stays the same.

I'm a little new to this so I'm not sure how to do the log thing and I am typing this post/currently online with a different computer. Is there anyway to fix this and/or anyway to recover everything without just putting in the computer restore disc?

Please let me know if you need any more information, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and help! (I'm not sure if this was supposed to be in this forum or the other virus one, I did it in both to be safe)

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Virus scans can't typically remove files from the system restore directory, so you need to turn it off, do the scan and then turn system restore back on.
  • edited June 2005
    Update: I tried starting it normally, everything looks the same, did the virus scan, and it says that there are now no viruses. That said, it looks like the damage was done with everything the same. Start menu does not work/contain anything, the 'My Documents' Folder on my desktop leads to nothing and can't be changed, nothing in 'My Computer' can be viewed because "Active X was not found", and my internet connections are gone.

To DanG, by turn it off, it sounds like you are saying the system restore, and I'm not sure how to do that? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just an old man and kind of new to computers
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    right click my computer -> properties -> system restore tab -> turn off system restore .