ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    shwaip, I'm going to have to add that to my arsenal of arguments. :D

They're just scared of me breaking down and being stranded or prime being a child molester. :eek:

Do you have AAA? If you do, they'll come find you and tow your car to the nearest place that can fix it, i beleive. They'll give you a free gallon or two of gas if you run out.

As for prime being a child molester...I can promise nothing ;D
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    We have AAA.. I've argued that point a lot lately. They aren't sure if one of them would have to be there though, since its in their name. Does anyone know if its the car of the person that AAA cares about?

I'll keep trying though, I really want to go. Hopefully one of them will get around to calling prime soon.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Just show them pictures of last year's lan. Lots of parents give their CHILDREN to ME muhhahahhaha... As for the molestation, I only molested mondi and raul - i THINK raul was 18, i can't remember..... :wtf:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Show them prime's kids, but don't tell them they're prime's kids. ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Show them prime's kids, but don't tell them they're prime's kids. ;D
    Pass the Jesus-Juice. :mullet:
    edited June 2005
    oh the heady days of mulletude.... :mullet:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Peng, I'm the same age as you and I met Brian a year ago when I was sixteen.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Nomad wrote:
    Peng, I'm the same age as you and I met Brian a year ago when I was sixteen.

I feel sooooooooooooooo OLD!

You guys kill me.

Tex

Crap I have been building computers longer then most you guys have even sucked air for gods sake.

I remember when the IBM XT came out (PC but WITH A 10mb HD) and we thought WHO COULD FILL UP 10 MB on a PC? Or the AT came out and the magazines all questioned who but scientists could use this much horsepower... (never set a secretary down on one that did a spellcheck that would give it back.. they would of clawed your eyes out with scissors first) But the HUGE change came when Seagate started selling 80mb NOT GB drives for $800. Crap I was booting Dos and xenix and had half a drive left over after having 6 customers custom software and a full development env loaded.

PARADISE

I should write an article about the OLD days for you young uns.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You <i>are</i> old, Tex. smug.gif
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    You <i>are</i> old, Tex. smug.gif

Yes but.....

I can still party most you whipper snappers butts into the dirt.

LMAO

Tex

And have tales that will curl your toes to boot.
    edited June 2005
    me and qch were just talking about greybeards last night ;)

You always run into these guys (not you, tex... guys way older than you), and they're always telling you about punchcards and how they used to work on vax, etc. And no matter which guy you are talking to, the stories are always the same. "I used to work on computers that filled up a whole room!" or "We used to boot them off punch cards!" or "They used to have cylinder hard drives that were 512K! KAY!", etc.

;D
    edited June 2005
    me and qch were just talking about greybeards last night ;)

You always run into these guys (not you, tex... guys way older than you), ;D

I'm almost 50 now. When I was a kid we were working on a software dev. project almost around the clock trying to finish .... The stupid thermostat for the office was programmed to go off at 8:00 at night and come on early in the morning. So it was cold as hellll about 4:00 AM.

We used to sleep by the exhaust port of the hard drives in the computer room to keep warm.

5mb fixed and 5mb removable drives! The thing was half the size of a washing machine. The 5mb removable looked like 10 old record albums stacked an inch apart in a clear dome thing.

FIVE MB!

And the HD exhaust was like a modern cars heater turned on high.

And we did the programming in my school on friggin punch cards. I feel even OLDER now prime. (grin) THANKS.

I just adapt better to newer stuff and don't live in the past. (grin) I think I beta tested every single version of Windows from 3.0 on.... You just gotta keep an open mind... learn and keep growing.

Some are stuck in the old days. I like to think I kept stumbling in a haze into the future. Ok drugs may of been involved....

Tex
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I remember telling my friend Ben once that I thought fixed HDs would never really 'catch on'.

When they were being discussed, I saw them as a passing novelty...

ah, from the mouth of babes...
  • SewerTrooprSewerTroopr Ann Arbor, Michigan
    edited June 2005
    I'm 39. Not quite as old as Tex but I still had to use the punch cards in high school.

Do people use a headphone/mic combination at LAN parties or is it headphones and a bunch of yelling across the tent?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Do people use a headphone/mic combination at LAN parties or is it headphones and a bunch of yelling across the tent?
    Yelling, plus heavy objects hurled across the room, such as bricks! :eek:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    ;D

"Not over THERE, stupid!" *half-full Mountain Dew can flies across the room*
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2005
    Just show them pictures of last year's lan. Lots of parents give their CHILDREN to ME muhhahahhaha... As for the molestation, I only molested mondi and raul - i THINK raul was 18, i can't remember..... :wtf:

I went to the LAN last year and my a$$ is still hurting!!!! And Prime said the Jesus juice would relax me :shakehead
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    -tk took advantage of me :shakehead
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005

For some of the games we used headphones and mic's. For BF: DC, we did... Halo (oh, wait, we never played that), UT2004, we may have... but I don't remember. There was alot of yelling though.
  • edited June 2005
    There was a lotta yelling. I remember that.
    edited June 2005
    I just type fast if my team-mate is not right next to me...
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Will there be an internet connection?
    edited June 2005
    6mb cable, yes.
    edited June 2005
    Is there a bathroom at Prime's house?...
    edited June 2005
    No, CB. Usually we just piss off the curb onto 10 mile, but sometimes the cars swerve to avoid it and crash into each other, and then we have to run like bitches, and that's no fun :(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    Is there a bathroom at Prime's house?...
    Nope, they don't pee. :(

//edit: Dammit, prime beat me to the draw! ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! ;D;D

(Bring an empty One-Gallon Milk Jug, just in case.) :cool:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    (Bring an empty One-Gallon Milk Jug, just in case.) :cool:
    Yes, then you'll have something to through at each other - much safer than bricks.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    alright well I think I'm gonna stop with the malarky (w00t, word score) of last year and see sawing about whether or not I'm gonna go cause I KNOW you all want to meet me :D I'm going to book my tickets either today or tomorrow methinks cause it'll be $245 roundtrip on Northwest from Manchester->DTW (non-stop cause I'm afraid of layovers).

Do you guys think I'll be good if I like mail my computer parts via Fedex, UPS, or something of that nature like a few days in advance? That's how I'm planning on doing it. I'll probably order a cheapo case and have it shipped to casa de Prime and just donate it to SMx or something after the LAN so I dont have to ship it back. I saw a couple people saying they could bring along an extra monitor, anybody want to reserve one for me???

I'm a newb to this so anybody who did the ol' computer-shipping-cause-im-taking-a-plane deal last year let me know how you did it please :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Camman... I will bring a spare monitor. As for the case thingy... I could even bring an extra of that as well. Donating Cases to the SMx Project is not really worth it since the shipping can sometimes cost as much as the case.

When do you plan on flying in? Friday is probably too late since you need to assemble the system and get setup. How about Thursday afternoon or something?

I'll be there by 4:00 PM on Thursday.