First AGP-PCI-e Bridge card announced.

edited June 2005 in Hardware
You want to upgrade to a new NF4 or Intel PCI-e board but just can't pay for a vid card too or your present AGP vid card is current? Well now there is hope coming soon with this PCI-e to AGP bridge card that Albatron has announced. This will plug into the PCI-e slot on the new mobo and then you plug your AGP vid card into it, saving you from having to spring for a new vid card purchase at the same time.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I don't even know why they bothered. A full-height card can't possibly fit in that ugly thing :-/
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    I understand what they are trying to do. I am personally in that same situation. I have my abit NF7s board, Im getting a 6800 agp card cuz I can afford that now, in a few months im upgrading my mobo and proc but am fearing that Ill have to go NV3 chipset 939 instead of NV4 chipset due to agp card which is not in the budget to be replaced again for atleast 12 months.
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, wouldn't work (this is my card photochopped into this holder) :rolleyes:

crazycard.jpg

;D
    edited May 2005
    hahah reminds of the the BITCHIN FAST 3D card ;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    hahah reminds of the the BITCHIN FAST 3D card ;D
    I remember that one. ;D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited May 2005
    From what I'm seeing my agp card will be sittign right on my windows case fan if I tried to use it.. Love the Idea as I'm happy with my 6800np but dunno.
  • edited May 2005
    They need to make one that sits parallel to the mobo and overlays a pci slot, that way you'd only have a minor height increase.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    I agree with madmat, that would make more sense.. Good idea, but it really limits your choices. Most half-height cards are far from performance cards, quadro 280 comes to mind, and some agp radeon 9200s etc..
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Screw that, just desolder the PCI-e slot and grab an old AGP slot to put in its place! ;D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • edited June 2005
    Why does the converter card have a VGA output of it's own?

This technology would be one hell of a lot more useful if it was built into the motherboard.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    I dont see why they are not making agp and pcie mobos. drop 1 of the pcie1 slots and put in an agp slot, or remove pci slot 1 and put it there.

I know that if a major vendor like abit did it with a nv4 chipset and a socket 939, id be all over it... Im going to be upgrading over the next few months and I really hate to drop my 9800xt card, that I just got for free from a friend, when I can save a few bucks and milk it for 6 more months..
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    I know the biggest issue is lack of chipset support. NF4 does not support AGP, plain and simple. Complex bridge circutry would be needed, and a performance hit would be taken too. Even thought it'd add to the cost and complexity of the board, I know that there would be MANY people willing to pay the extra bones for it.