Any Short-Media members make the Phantom console beta test?

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited September 2003 in Gaming
If so how is it??

If you don't know what I am talking about check it out.

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited August 2003
    Yea my friend showed me it in a magazine a while back, but doesn't it just kinda seem like a PC running emulators to you?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    It seems more like an overly expensive xbox-wannabe shoving off-brand third-tier shareware games for a monthly fee.
    edited August 2003
    No I read an article about it, they plan to get licences with other companies so that the console can play like xbox, ps2, computer games and do other stuff. Thus I said it just sounds like a PC running emulators.
    edited August 2003
    Their own website says it plays games delivered on their pay-for-play content delivery system. Nowhere does it mention emulation.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited August 2003
    I bet it flops. I just can't see(hear) any of my friends calling me and asking "Hey man, you wanna come play some Phantom?".

And I have to download all the games? That means I let it download and go play something else and lose interest. Good concept, I guess. Kinda taking off Valve's STEAM toy, which kinda flopped also, but coulda been better had it been released 3 or 4 years down the road when a lot more people have broadband (and faster broadband).
    edited August 2003
    Yea, you pay and download the games, I am pretty sure it is going to feature some liek xbox, computer, and ps2 games, plus other stuff. I was reading an article about it in some tech magazine my friend has.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    ;D
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    Good find GHoosdum.

I was talking with my step brother today (as he's much more into gaming and consoles than I am) and he hadn't heard of it. If that's any indication then the outlook for the Phantom being a hit is slim.
    edited August 2003
    Like I said, it is a computer.
    edited August 2003
    The phantom console reminds me something of BitBoys and their super stupendous uber video cards that never make it off paper.

Instead, the Phantom Console is the super stupendous uber console that should never have made it off paper.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited August 2003
    yeah, heard about this a few months back. Don't think it's viable except for in hotels where on-demand gaming would be suitable (so that the hotel doesn't have to store a whole library of games and everyone could play the same title if they so choose)

For home consoles, I don't see the benefit. You have to download your game, (necessitating broadband), you have to WAIT to play your game, (sure, running to the store takes time, but it's the thought that you have to sit there twiddling your opposables - and for how long?), and then you can play it.

yikes.

However, it's nice to see more competition enter the fray in the console market. Usually a good thing for consumers.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    20030122l.gif

NS
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    ppl r gonna buy it... why???
    the same reason people buy consoles instead of computers...its cheaper...
    also..what would u rather do...pay 500-700 bux to play every platform..or pay 300 bux to play multiplatform stuff...its a good idea...but i think ps2 etc would make more money making emulators that work nicely
    edited August 2003
    see, but they won't be able to play ALL the games. that's why each console has console exclusive games.

if they were to do the emu route, they'll have the same legal issues as the Bleemcast disk had.

People don't buy consoles for a cheaper computer - they buy it to play games optimized for graphics and gameplay - something that game developer's can't do for PC's due to the inconsistancies from PC to PC.

only a small percentage actually buys an XBox to hack it for a cheap computer... which would almost be cheaper to build from spare parts.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Heh heh. I got the bulk of my information on the Phantom from Penny Arcade also. They seem to think it is just a big scam there. Or at least Tycho thinks so.

Norge
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    Well, Ill prolly end up buying one.
    Just to satisfy my curiosity. I usually do buy consoles as soon as they come out, and end up ebaying them after a month or so.

I know its pathetic. But thats just me. Sounds like it could be a kewl concept, but I too think it will flop. Theres already some real strong competition in the console market. From the sound of it the MOD scene on such a piece of hardware could be pretty interesting though. Looking forward to watching that unfold. The hardware seems pretty solid, at least 512 ddr ram, over 1ghz cpu (i cant find the specs now) 82GB HDD. Sounds to me like they are selling the console real cheap, in hopes that they wil make a profit with royalties on software sales. If modded right, thats a pretty fast PC for 300$.
    edited September 2003
    If you can hack it, make it :fold::fold::fold:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    If you can hack it, make it :fold::fold::fold:

That would probably be dangerous as I doubt it would have suffitient cooling for the processor to run constantly at 110% load.

NS
    edited September 2003
    I agree, the phantom looks to be about the same size as an xbox, and they had problems cooling the xbox at first, and that is only a 733 MHz processor I believe.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    One good thing is the cool wallpapers. I downloaded the one with the Knight's helmet type thing, got rid of all the crap around the edges of the wallpaper, and it looks cool :)

~Cyrix
    edited September 2003
    Then set F@H to only use 70% of the CPU or something. :):fold:
    edited September 2003
    can't one build a 1+ ghz/80 gig HD/512 ram in it? even with a semi-decent vid card for $300US?

I mean, I know it's optimized for games and all, but if you're going to bother hacking it... and not to mention that by the time this thing is actually on the shelves, the above specs will have become even cheaper...
    edited September 2003
    All prices are from PriceWatch.Com

Athlon 1GHz CPU: $41
    512MB PC2100 RAM: $65
    ATX Case + 500W PSU: $29
    ECS K7S7AS Motherboard w/ NIC: $50
    80GB Western Digital HD: $62
    ATI RADEON 9000 w/ 128MB DDR: $54

Total: $301

Of course, I didn't include a HSF nor thermal compound, but let's say $1 for thermal compound from RadioShack and we'll say $10 for an el-cheapo HSF combo.

That takes us to $312.

Not quite $300, but pretty close.
    edited September 2003
    I think it might have a 200GB drive, but I cant find the specs. which would add another 100$. Plus this thing has hdtv out hookups which you cant get on a pc yet (at least from what I have found).
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I thought it said an 86Gb hdd or something on the site.

//edit Hmm, haven't a clue where I saw this. Just looked all over the site. Did I get that figure of 86 from this thread or what?? I remember seeing the number and thinking 'My, thats a bit bigger than an XBOX hard drive, but what happens if you fill it up - do you lose old games??

~Cyrix
    edited September 2003
    I guess that we'll have to see... I won't hold my breath, mind you.
    edited September 2003
    CyrixInstead said
    I thought it said an 86Gb hdd or something on the site.

//edit Hmm, haven't a clue where I saw this. Just looked all over the site. Did I get that figure of 86 from this thread or what?? I remember seeing the number and thinking 'My, thats a bit bigger than an XBOX hard drive, but what happens if you fill it up - do you lose old games??

~Cyrix

I think you got that figure from me. I originally said it had an 82GB hdd, but after I said that I thaught I remembered reading on their website that it will have a 200GB drive. But like you I cannot find the specs on their site. They mustve removed them.

Maybe they are reconsidering the hardware.
    edited September 2003
    Or hiding it.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    It's not just small boxes that have cooling issues... I remind you of the Dell XPS system Maximum PC tested a few months back. It overheated. Repeatedly.

On the topic of the console tho, it sounds like a flop to me too...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    A phantom.

Second-cousin to Harvey the Rabit.

A figment of my imagination.

It's fake.

Someone is trying to make a point.

If It's not fake, I'll eat my hat.

Look up the word 'phantom' in the dictionary.

Here's the thing:

This company has never done anything else. You can't get the capital to start a company when your only project is this experimental, with no safety-net.

No one has ever seen a Phantom box, with the exception of a digital render of a box that is so poorly designed, it could never be marketed. It wastes too much production money. Consoles have enough overhead without LEDs and overrated stylizations.

Their main office address is in the middle of a very expensive residential/tourist district. Not exactly the place for a tech office.

My hat is made of Nylon.

The different departments in their office building have different telephone exchanges. They are not all even in the same area, much less the same building.

So far, they have canceled themselves from every event at which they were scheduled to appear.

I hate the taste of Nylon.

There is nothing anywhere on Intel's website or press releases that even mentions The Phantom. This is the same case with all of their other 'partners', with the notable exceptions of their VISUAL design partners.

The design for the controler is just a slightly modified PS2 control pad.

They're calling it 'The Phantom' for cripes sake!

Any of these things on it's own might not scream "Hoax", but all of them together smell mighty fishy.

In fact, it may be even more than a hoax. It may be a scamolla. Look at the Beta-testers application. Are those the questions that you would ask? Some of those questions are about the applicants purchasing habbits and preferences. That is useless info for choosing bata-testers. However, it could be very valuable info to the gaming industry. You could sell the kind0of information that will be collected by that 'application'. Someone probably will. How else would you get almost every hard-core gamer in the country to fill out the same survey?

Ask me this time next year how my hat is doing. I'll let you know that it is just fine.

Note: This info is from my own research, if you have information to the contrary, post it.