turn on comp wo cpu

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I am building my first computer. Its in my sig. I have everything but the cpu and the memory. Can I plug it in and turn it on without damaging anything? and will I be able to go into bois?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I don't see a sig. :scratch:

It won't do anything so there is absolutely no use in trying without a CPU present!
    Just make sure that when you put the CPU in the socket you put the heatsink on correctly (including pluging in the fan) or you will fry that precious new CPU.

BTW
    They really stink when you fry one. :rolleyes:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    also of course make sure you have the cpu lined up right and DONT BEND ANY PINS!!

I heard a story once of a guy who accidentally bent a few pins just a little bit. So he figured no big deal, and carefully tried to bend them back with pliers when some of the pins broke. THAT would seriously suck!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Pending CORSAIR 256MB DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Me
    I realize you are trying to save money (always smart), but 256MB will be barely enough just get Windows XP running.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    yeah he's definitely right. you'll find that 512mb or even 1gb (probably too expensive for a value build) will make a big difference. I would recommend this or this.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited June 2005
    I realize you are trying to save money (always smart), but 256MB will be barely enough just get Windows XP running.

I was going to use 2 or 3 of the 256 meg chips. or 2 256 in one channel and a 512 in the other channel. I havent figured out the dual channel thing yet. Some say its better to go the 2 256 and 1 512 others say it dosent matter where you put the chips.
    also of course make sure you have the cpu lined up right and DONT BEND ANY PINS!!

I already played with an old computer removing and installing the cpu for practice. I know you line it up with the notch off the corner.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You really should match all of the memory. Run either 2 or 4 256's.
    Some mobo don't like 4 mem slots filled if you want to overclock.
    If you are running stock it shouldn't matter.
    though 2 x 512 should be less money.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited June 2005
    You really should match all of the memory. Run either 2 or 4 256's.
    My mb only has 3 slots. I want to run dual channel. I have read a few threads on this and they never really came to a conclusion. also some say that it dosent really do much.

I wont overclock at first but probally will later when I get the hang of bios.I am on a budget but I want to get the memory rite so I still dont know if I should run 2 256 in one channel and 1 512 on the other or if it wont make a difference 3 256s.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    My mb only has 3 slots. I want to run dual channel. I have read a few threads on this and they never really came to a conclusion. also some say that it dosent really do much.

I wont overclock at first but probally will later when I get the hang of bios.I am on a budget but I want to get the memory rite so I still dont know if I should run 2 256 in one channel and 1 512 on the other or if it wont make a difference 3 256s.

you most likely wont even notice the difference in between single and dual channel performance.

I have a single 512 xms ll corsair pc3200 that runs at 333
    and I have 2x 512 kingston pc2700 at 333 in dual channel...

the single stick makes the system faster. I only run the 2x512's because I run multiple apps all the time so need the memory, its a trade off.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    yeah I have 256 mb, it runs but not smoothly, which is why im upgrading to 1 gig of OCZ ram. its only a hundred dollars, and for the price that I spent on the patriot ram, I wish that I would of forked over the extra money in the beginning :shakehead .
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    Does that Value Corsair memory have better latency? Or is NewEgg wrong in their description? It says Kingston has cas3 and Corsair has cas2.5.