More evidence why Compaq sold out to HP.

edited June 2005 in Hardware
I'm presently changing the mobo out on a Compaq Presario desktop machine that has a Duron 700 in it for a friend of mine (it was given to him). The mobo's ide controller is going out, so I bought a cheap Asus mATX board to replace the POS board Compaq had put in it. Anyways, I'm stripping out components off the mobo this evening and pull the hsf off the cpu and set it to the side, then pull the proc out of the socket and the proc is sparkling clean, not a trace of thermal grease or bubblegum TIM material. Seeing that this is kind of odd, I then look at the hsf to see what kind of thermal interface they used and I got a big laugh. Those dumbasses on Compaq's assembly line never removed the plastic strip off the TIM and that poor tough little Duron has been running for freaking years like this! :eek:;D;D

Now, you can't tell me that even the old Tbird and Spitfire Durons can't take a beating. There's no telling how hot that poor little proc got during it's lifetime and it is still kicking right along. :cool:

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    The little Duron that could. ;D

And we thought Timex was tough. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    That's incredible, Mudd.

If only today's proc's could take a beating like that.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Wow! That's impressive. Stupid Compaq, but kick-ass AMD!
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    its just proof that the duron line of processors were beasts. Ive owned several and they have all performed outstandingly.

I loaded office 2003 on my sisters dell p4 2.0 with 256mg pc2100 ram and on my duron 1gig with 512 pc133 ram.. 12 min on the dell 5 min on the duron... :thumbsup:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    If only today's proc's could take a beating like that.
    I sold my P4 stock heatsink to a friend with a 2.8c. I told him, "You'll need to get some thermal paste or a pad, because it's not good for it to run just like this at all."

He didn't. He was running the cpu with nothing between it and the heatsink for quite a few months, with the computer on all the time. He overclocked, too ;D Yeah, he got sky-high temps, but it still worked flawlessly.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited June 2005
    My compaq was a pos locking up all the time until I did all the updates on the comaq web site. Then I souped it up with more memory and windows xp and a v92 modem and it works perfectly now. I am building my first computer even though it works fine for what I use for because the compaq is no fun anymore.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Yep that V92 modem would make a world of difference :D

~Cyrix
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Yep that V92 modem would make a world of difference :D

~Cyrix
    Those were the days :D
    edited June 2005
    Why do I feel like you guys are making fun of me? :scratch::D
  • edited June 2005
    Naw, they aren't making fun of you. They are just thinking back to the day when they were stuck on dialup too. Once you go broadband, dialup is soooooo sslllllooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. ;D;D

BTW, I'm typing this on the little Duron that could. :D I tell you what, that little bugger sure has lived a hard life. I reused the oem heatsink, but upgraded the fan from a 60 X 10 mm Delta to a 60 X 25 mm Sunon and this proc's temp is running at 47° C while folding and idles around 43° C. I'd hate to see what temps it was running at with that plastic strip across the TIM; that old POS Compaq board didn't have hardware monitoring even in bios. :shakehead

So far, his free machine cost $83 for the mobo and new ram (old board used SDRAM) and I found that the psu it had in it had a very low 12v rail (about 11.3v), so I installed an old 300 watt psu I had laying around and I also added an 80 mm exhaust case fan. I guess I'll charge him another $20 for the psu and 2 fans, but the labor is free because this thing is going to fold for me.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sorry athalonhead I wasn't making fun. But as muddocktor says once you go broadband you don't go back as they say. I remember the days of modem, it took forever to download things.

~Cyrix
    edited June 2005
    CyrixInstead I wasent offended at all and I didnt think I was being insulted. And if you knew what I went through to get this 54.6 connection you would think it was funny. It loads up pretty fast unless there is alot of pictures. and I am only paying 10.95 for my isp. broad band is getting cheaper and I will switch over eventually.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    I just hugged my little duron, and promised it I would never sell it away like I did with my slower 750mhz duron. 1.3 WILL live a long nice life, although I'm sure it hates my sd133/100 ram.

I would like to get a 1.8 (because they are $41) too, just for another pc to use.